(Director Name) on (Director Name) Books

Started by SHAFTR, June 07, 2003, 11:50:14 PM

SHAFTR

Is there anywhere I can see a complete list of these books
(ie Scorsese on Scorsese, Hitchcock on Hitchcock, Godard on Godard)
and can anyone here suggest certain ones to me

Thanks
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

you can get a complete list inside any one of the books on one of the opening pages like "Also Available"....
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

What I found:

Woody Allen On Woody Allen
Almodovar On Almodovar
Burton On Burton
Cronenberg On Cronenberg
De Toth On De Toth
Fellini On Fellini
Gilliam On Gilliam
Hawks On Hawks
Hitchcock On Hitchcock
Kieslowski On Kieslowski
Levinson On Levinson
Lynch On Lynch
Malle On Malle
Potter On Potter
Sayles On Sayles
Schrader On Schrader
Scorsese On Scorsese
Sirk On Sirk
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffin
Sirk On Sirk

I need no longer wonder what book to buy next...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gold Trumpet

I've read Scorsese on Scorsese, enjoyed it, but also felt he talked so much and so general he could act as his own biographer of getting the fact details instead of the major insight into emotion. I have Kieslowski on Kieslowski on order now and am very much looking forward to that. I;m starting to get majorly into John Sayles and am thinking of getting Sayles on Sayles next.

~rougerum

SoNowThen

Schrader On Schrader is the best __ on __ book I've ever read.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

wilder

For the youngins:

These books are becoming increasingly obscure but are still some of the best first-hand accounts of the director's process available apart from the Conversations with Filmmakers series

putneyswipe

Love these, the Cronenberg, Schrader and Herzog ones are three of my most prized books. The Herzog book in particular is more enjoyable than almost all of his movies.

Alethia

Yep. The Cassavetes, Leigh, Altman, Allen, Sayles and Scorsese I can personally vouch for, too.

WorldForgot

Hmm, interestingly these are not readily available on either z-library or libgen so they are quite rare and possibly only available used at the moment, blerg!