Has anyone here ever met PTA? Tell us your stories....

Started by Marty McSuperfly, January 10, 2003, 03:22:58 AM

Jeremy Blackman

"I'm warning you with peace and love I have too much to do."

That is probably one of the best sentences I've heard this year.

greenberryhill

Watch PTA being interviewed by girls from the Santa Barbara Middle School Teen Press. PTA is really nice and cool.

wilberfan

That was adorable...  I'll bet it doesn't hurt he has 4 kids himself.  But it looked like he genuinely wanted to help them out...

jviness02

Those girls better be glad they didn't hand him a pen. He would have dropped it in front of them! :shock:

But seriously, he seems like a chill dude.

greenberryhill

Quote from: jviness02 on February 08, 2018, 01:04:25 AM
Those girls better be glad they didn't hand him a pen. He would have dropped it in front of them! :shock:

Are you talking about this incident?

Reel

He treats pens like comedians will sometimes drop the mic after a killer set. Everything he writes is so good, he's just like "my work is done here."

jviness02

Quote from: Reelist on February 08, 2018, 10:35:07 AM
He treats pens like comedians will sometimes drop the mic after a killer set. Everything he writes is so good, he's just like "my work is done here."

I was making fun of the guy who claimed PTA was a jerk for dropping some dude's pen.

Something Spanish

Quote from: greenberryhill on February 08, 2018, 10:08:08 AM
Quote from: jviness02 on February 08, 2018, 01:04:25 AM

Are you talking about this incident?

that's a 19 year old me smoking in the bg towards the end of that vid. and yes, paul dropkicked those fucking pens.

modage

And that's me in the Jean jacket and Strokes haircut getting a picture.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

I've seen/met him a number of times over the years now, but the first (and still most memorable, I think) was way back in 03 at a screening of Punch-Drunk Love. I was 15, it was Rochester, George Eastman House at the Dryden Theater. My dad, after having told me he couldn't take me, skipped out on work at the last minute, zoomed home and picked me up (totally by surprise) and we floored it 4 hours north, walking into a packed house during the first date scene with Lena, and we stood in the back until the credits. The whole time I was scanning the audience for PTA, couldn't spot him, eventually gave up and just watched the film. As the credits rolled, I looked to my right and saw the man himself wander in, clothes wrinkled as can be (my dad was not impressed, expecting something more along the lines of an older Spielberg or Kubrick-type figure, I guess), and just stood, leaning against the back wall, just a few feet away. I mustered up every last ounce of courage I had, went over and tapped him on the shoulder. He smiled and said, "Hi." I proceeded to vomit out a garbled, half-choked series of words that somehow effectively communicated that I was a huge fan and wanted him to sign my dvd. He smiled and said, "Of course," and gave me a personalized autograph with three scribbled hearts surrounding Barry Egan's profile. And then he took the stage for a Q and A (the most memorable part being when an older lady asked him what in hell the frogs at the end of Magnolia meant...he proceeded to give her a hesitant yet cordial answer, followed by a brief pause, a wide, mischievous grin spreading, then, "And I hope that answers your fucking frog question.") This was also around the time he was just starting to write what became There Will Be Blood, which he described to us merely as, "An adventure film." I believe a few other Xixaxers, currently active or not, might have been there that night. Anyone?

EDIT: I remember now! An old member named ebeaman (with whom I struck up a nice online friendship around that time) was there, I think, and I believe there was a member named Antidumbfrogquestion whose name is obviously a direct reference to PTA's thoroughly charming retort referenced above.

Also Philip Seymour Hoffman's Mom was there   :(

Reel

Quote from: eward on February 09, 2018, 08:46:17 AM
I believe a few other Xixaxers, currently active or not, might have been there that night. Anyone?

I wish! I've wanted to check out that theater ever since they screened 'The Shining' with it's alternate ending. Great story with your Dad coming to the rescue like that.

Reel

Quote from: wilberfan on February 09, 2018, 01:48:39 PM
I haven't looked yet, but is there a place here where we've shared how we each came to first stand in the warmth of the PTA sun?  (I don't mean having met him, but fallen for his creative charms.)  Cuz I'd love read those as well.

Yeah, right here

Something Spanish

https://twitter.com/thenyff/status/1276513575851491330?s=21

You'll have to take my word for it, but that is 100% the back of my head in the second pic when I waited for Paul to come out of the old Alice Tully after the PDL press conference. Brought back a lot of memories, wanted to get a pic with him but shied out of it, snapped a few but have no clue what happened to the drive it was on

Directly after this pic was taken I saw a press screening of The Tuxedo at the Lowe's Ewalk. Good day.

ForTheHungryBoy

Quote from: Something Spanish on June 26, 2020, 03:34:30 PM
https://twitter.com/thenyff/status/1276513575851491330?s=21

You'll have to take my word for it, but that is 100% the back of my head in the second pic when I waited for Paul to come out of the old Alice Tully after the PDL press conference. Brought back a lot of memories, wanted to get a pic with him but shied out of it, snapped a few but have no clue what happened to the drive it was on

Directly after this pic was taken I saw a press screening of The Tuxedo at the Lowe's Ewalk. Good day.
Love that theater and area around the Lincoln Center. Jealous you met Paul as he was transitioning to his more zen stage!