Robocop (2014)

Started by MacGuffin, July 10, 2008, 01:39:04 PM

MacGuffin

Aronofsky Promises His 'RoboCop' Will Respect Fans, But Weller Cameo Not Guaranteed
Source: MTV

Ever since Darren Aronofsky opened up with news that his 'RoboCop' project would be a reboot of the franchise, we've had plenty of questions for him about how his vision will define itself. Now, the "Fountain" and "Requiem for a Dream" director has leaked a little more insight and not only pointed out where he sees room to grow with the film, but let on that a Peter Weller appearance may not be part of the deal.

"The thing that's exciting for a filmmaker like me about ["RoboCop"] is that it's not as iconic as some of the other titles out there, so there's room to do stuff with it," Aronofsky told MTV News. "It had incredible insight into the future, and it's still hilarious," he added.

Chatting on the red carpet at the Golden Globes, he elaborated on why the time is ripe for an evolved take on original director Paul Verhoeven's classic, which he called "a masterful film." Masterful or not, Aronofsky appeared more than ready to rebuild the "RoboCop" with his own updated interpretation.

"The world has so changed—how much every one of us is somewhat of a cyborg at this point with cell phones hanging out of us, with implants of all different types." Aronofsky posed. In the same breath, however, he cautioned that the project is still in its early stages. "I think there's a lot of really timely ideas in it. If it comes together, it'll be great, but who knows?"

As for a possible cameo by original star Peter Weller, Aronofsky backed away from any commitments. "I can't make any promises," he assured, "but I'll show as much respect to the fans as I can."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

haha, Aronofsky is having second thoughts about doing a remake of Robofuckingcop now that he's gained quite a bit of clout post The Wrestler.

When he signed, he was probably like, "Fuck this shit! Arthouse flicks for niche audiences? I can't even buy a loaf of bread!!!!! I'm gonna Mike Bay my fucking career and make some money!!"

Now he's like, "........Well, hold on. Let's think about this for a second. Is Daniel Day-Lewis available for Murphy?"

Holy shit. Can you imagine the method acting Daniel Day-Lewis would immerse himself in to play Robofuckingcop?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Aronofsky fills his dance card
By Steven Zeitchik; Hollywood Reporter

Darren Aronofsky likely will dance with swans — but what will it mean for his grappling with cyborgs?

The director is on the verge of a deal that would have him helming passion project "Black Swan" later this year. While a few budget and financing issues on the Natalie Portman-toplined supernatural drama still need be to ironed out, people familiar with the situation say Aronofsky pretty much has indie financing for the pic set, with Fox Searchlight (which of course distribbed his "The Wrestler" last year) monitoring pre-production closely and potentially coming aboard at a later stage.

But a fall start has another potential consequence: it throws into question Aronofsky's involvement on "Robocop," the MGM reboot of the 1987 hit that has been a highly anticipated project for both MGM and the fanboy universe.

Aronfosky and writer David Self have been working closely to hone ideas on the action reboot. Though it would be a tight fit, MGM could essentially hit the pause button until early-mid 2010, when Aronofsky is finished with "Swan," and still make its 2011 release-date target.

But insiders in the rep community say the studio has also quietly put out feelers for other directors who could come on to "Robocop" in case the timing doesn't work out.

MGM declined comment on the story.

MGM has been cautious about the number of movies it's releasing, and is concentrating at the moment on projects such as the 80's reboot "Red Dawn," the male-centric comedy "Hot Tub Time Machine," and a "Poltergeist" reboot. 

That could mean the Mary Parent-run studio could afford to wait on "Robocop" -- but it would mean putting on hold a potential tentpole on a slate that isn't currently stacked with them. After all, other projects, like "Bond 23" and the Robert Ludlum property "The Matarese Circle," are still a few years away.

Aronofsky, known for working slowly and carefully honing projects in development, has not signed on to any other pictures post-"Wrestler," a fall breakout that grossed $26 million domestically and picked up multiple Oscar noms.

He and his Protozoa Picture have, however, been shopping "Black Swan," about a woman in the New York City ballet who may or may not be imagining things about an apparent rival. The director would work off a script written by Mark Heyman, a development exec with Protozoa. (Interesting side note: Mike Medavoy's Phoenix Pictures is both involved with "Robcop" and also is producing "Swan.")

The dance project has attracted the interest of a number of studios and specialty divisions, though some were also concerned about the budget for a project with prestige elements. Searchlight has been in the pole position to land the project and has been attempting to work out budget issues in recent months.

Paul Verhoeven's "Robocop," in which a murdered Detroit cop comes back re-engineered as a cyborg, stood as a symbol of 1980's action when Orion released the film. There were several sequels over the years, but a reboot has never gotten off the ground.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

it's cool that Aronofsky has a career again.  he probably just took Robocop before The Wrestler was a hit to Batman his career back to life and now he doesn't need to and wants to do something he actually wants to do.  he was never very enthusiastic about it in interviews.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

agreed and I'm sure it's for the better, but the nerd inside is a little disappointed.

Stefen

Robocop is perfect the way it is. Well, not perfect, but it's perfectly shitty the way it is. Why remake it? I've been against that idea from the beginning and I'm glad Darren is doing other shit.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

Robocop IS perfect.

I think a Robocop remake could be okay, but not from Aronofsky.  He's too sincere.  A sincere Robocop would be SHITTY.  Robocop's not good because the concept of a man becoming a cyborg is a good idea; it's good because of the long, luscious, silky-smooth satire that grows from sharp minds, and the bristly, curly, thick patches of ultra-violence that keeps on burrowing from massive nuts no matter how much the MPAA tries to trim it!

Ohh...! (sigh)

MacGuffin

Blame James Cameron for stopping RoboCop remake
Source: SciFi Wire

James Cameron may have succeeded in doing something the nefarious OCP couldn't: stop RoboCop.

That is, Darren Aronofsky's proposed remake of the classic sci-fi movie RoboCop is on hold now, partly because Mary Parent, chairperson of MGM, wants to make it in 3-D, a la Avatar, and director Aronofsky (Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain) isn't so hot on the idea.

Here's how our buddies at Moviehole reported it:

'Nash' from the OCP-lovin' RoboCop Archive dropped me a line earlier today, stating that "I've spoken with Phoenix Pictures [and] asked them about the status of ROBOCOP... they told me that the project is on hold. The problem is that Mary Parent, Chairperson of MGM, wants a 3D movie for the new ROBOCOP. But ,as you know, Darren Aronofsky is a real artist and he's not interested in Gimmicks like,3D,CGI,Filming digital, he wants to do everything as real (organic) as possible just like The Fountain."
Another possible complication is the fact that MGM is in dire financial straits and may not be in a position to green-light the movie, even if they do come to some kind of agreement with Aronofsky over a creative direction.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Gamblour.

No, seriously, thank you. I'm glad Aronofsky is not getting caught up in the remake business, even if it's because of 3D and not his own scruples.
WWPTAD?

Pwaybloe

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 06, 2010, 09:37:39 PM
But ,as you know, Darren Aronofsky is a real artist and he's not interested in Gimmicks like,3D,CGI,Filming digital, he wants to do everything as real (organic) as possible just like The Fountain."[/i]

He's not interested in gimmicks?  Did anyone remember "Requiem For A Dream"?  Has he dis-owned it?

MacGuffin

Aronofsky Still Attached To Robocop Reboot
Source: ShockTillYouDrop

At last night's Los Angeles premiere for The Wolfman, Shock got the chance to chat with screenwriter David Self about several projects he's been recently attached to. First one on our list? The long rumored Robocop reboot with Darren Aronofsky at the helm.

"I'm still involved with it and Darren Aronofsky's still involved with it," says Self. "He's making another movie right now (Black Swan), but we're waiting for MGM, to sort things out since they're a large corporation and it's a situation where we have to be practical. We're waiting to continue with them, we hope that that happens soon and we can get back to it soon."

When asked if they were approaching the new Robocop as an unofficial sequel or a remake, Self explained, "It's definitely not a sequel. It's an origin story, it's an origin to the original Robocop. So, it's basically a 'reboot'."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

well someone's gotta bring home the bacon..

since weisz has decided to not appear in any successful movie ever.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Darren Aronofsky Says 'Robocop' Remake Breakdown The Result Of Studio Woes, Not 3-D Demands
Source: MTV

When Darren Aronofsky's long-gestating "Robocop" remake hit the skids and the director went off to shoot "Black Swan" with Natalie Portman, the Interwebs seemed to decide the reason was 3-D snobbery: MGM wanted to shoot the sci-fi flick in three dimensions and Aronofsky said something to the effect of, "Oh hell no!"

In a recent conversation, though, Aronofsky wanted to set the record straight. The collapse of "Robocop," he said, had nothing to do with 3-D and everything to do with the studio's precarious financial standing.

"The studio is in question, as everyone knows, with 'The Hobbit' and all that stuff, and 'Black Swan' was ready to go," he said. "It just became an easy decision."

"All that stuff with the 3-D. I don't know where that came from," he added. "Actually, I do know where that came from. I did one Q&A and someone asked me about 3-D and it was before I saw Cameron's film and I wasn't that into it at the time. Someone connected that to 'Robocop.' There's no truth to that story."

What's more, Aronofsky told us that he's fascinated with what he's seen recently from 3-D film, and if it's good enough for James Cameron and Martin Scorsese, it's surely good enough for him.

"With the right project, I'm totally into 3-D," he said "Scorsese's working in 3-D [on 'The Invention of Hugo Cabret']. I am very curious what that's going to be. Like everyone, I thought 'Avatar' was an incredible experience. I'm also interested in what someone like John Waters would do in 3-D. That's when it starts to become interesting, when you start to see it used in very interesting, different ways. There is a backlash at this point, and I think that's just because it's been overexposed, but that's just because people are rushing to bank in on it. There's no doubt that interesting things are going to be done in 3-D."

And despite MGM's difficulties, Aronofsky holds out hope that he'll be able to return to "Robocop" at some point in the future. "We'll see what happens with it down the line," he said.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Exclusive: Darren Aronofsky Still Hopes To Make 'RoboCop'
Source: The Playlist

Darren Aronofsky's "Black Swan," his terrific new psychological thriller set in the world of ballet starring Natalie Portman begins its run into theaters this Friday, December 3rd. It's a dazzling confluence of everything the dynamic filmmaker has created to date—utilizing the raw Super 16mm look he employed in "The Wrestler," the supernatural elements he displayed in "The Fountain" and the immediate camera movement exerted in "Pi." Portman seems like a shoo-in for an Oscar nomination (rightfully so) and the picture already seems to be deeply impressing most critics (read our review from the Toronto Int. Film Festival).

We sat down with the filmmaker this afternoon to talk about "Black Swan" (which you'll read about more this week) and in the course of our discussion we touched upon a few topics including his two-year deal with 20th Century Fox, as well as some future projects including "Machine Man" (which was a bit random because it's actually set-up at Mandalay which has a first-look deal with Universal, so there's probably little Fox connection as of right now).

The throughline of course is "Machine Man" is being adapted by Mark Heyman, who worked on the script for "Black Swan." Based on Australian writer Max Barry's serialized online story and upcoming book about "a geek who equips himself with high-end parts" and as many sites have noticed, including ourselves, it sounds vaguely like the half-man/half-machine themes that are in "RoboCop," a film that Aronofsky was looking to reboot, until the project fell apart because of MGM's very public financial woes and instability this year that almost did in "The Hobbit."

With "RoboCop" deep-sixed, we asked if "Machine Man" would allow Aronofsky to get his half-machine/half-human ya-yas out and instead the director suggested there might still be hope for the film vaguely based on Paul Verhoeven's 1987 original.

"Well, 'RoboCop' may still happen one day, who knows?" he said optimistically. "It's MGM and hopefully they'll clear their stuff up and I'm still interested. David Self wrote a great script, but the company went under so..." And that was it, but yes, who knows, maybe a flicker of life does still exist for a "RoboCop" remake one day. Stay tuned for more from our interview with Darren Aronofsky this week. "Black Swan," which you should go out of your way to see, hits theaters on Friday in limited release.

Skeleton FilmWorks