underrated pop music

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 03, 2003, 04:06:39 PM

Weird. Oh

Quote from: phil marlowe^ good post there...exept the dismissing of the entire rap genre that was stupid

alot of pop music today is in fact building on a variety of old jazz standards. WOW HUH? POP MUSIC IS SO COOL NOW

Well I didn't mean to dismiss it in general as an art form. I just can't get into it musically. I need music with dynamics and differentiating rhythym. I feel rap/ hip-hop becomes monotonous after a while. That's just a personal opinion didn't mean to upset anyone   :lol:

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Pas RapportPeople really like Stacey's Mom ? I tought it was the kind of song that execs are just pushing really really hard. It seems like a lame pop song to me.
fountains of wayne are great, see more here...
http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=2041

stacys mom is a song that got way huge, but isnt really representative of the whole band.

One example of their brillance which most are unaware of is in That Thing You Do. Adam Schlessinger (guitarist?) wrote That Thing You Do and 2 other songs in the film. I think some people dismiss them as Yuppy Rock perhaps. but I think they're just a good ole power pop band. I've got a flair is one of my faves.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

phil marlowe

Quote from: Weirdo1769movieMikeWell I didn't mean to dismiss it in general as an art form. I just can't get into it musically. I need music with dynamics and differentiating rhythym. I feel rap/ hip-hop becomes monotonous after a while. That's just a personal opinion didn't mean to upset anyone   :lol:
yeah okay, i guess i just misread you, i thought it was a completely objective comment. i'm so upset

Pas

Ah ! I guess I'll have to check out some other Fountains of Wayne stuff...with Stacey's Mom I tought this was some kind of Simple Plan stuck in 1996

modage

Quote from: Pas RapportAh ! I guess I'll have to check out some other Fountains of Wayne stuff...with Stacey's Mom I tought this was some kind of Simple Plan stuck in 1996
yeah i would've thought the same thing if i had heard that song first.  like, what the fuck is this gimmicky crap?  but i've been listening to them for like 7 years and their albums are really good actually.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Avril Lavigne - "Together" and "Forgotten"

Okay, may not be lyrically solid yet, but these are really good songs. Trust me. And I still swear that "Losing Grip" is a good song.

Sleuth

You think you can outwuss me?  I like Len - Steal my Sunshine
I like to hug dogs

NEON MERCURY

does ZZ top count??

if so i like thats song 'legs" and i like it when they spin  their guitars arond in a circle..come to think of it ..the guitar spin is much more of  a 'rock star" kind of manuever than pete townsends windmill strum.....

if i was smart i would give examples by having animated video clips  to serve as evidence...

Pedro

Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone

yeah, i should hate it or something, but it's good.  i just wish, like, steve albini had produced it, it would be even better.

mogwai

the bizarre incident that led to east 17 singer brian harvey being hospitalised in london was a "freak accident", his manager has said, not a suicide attempt.

police have said the singer fell underneath his mercedes convertible outside his walthamstow home and was crushed. the incident occurred in the early hours of tuesday morning (may 31) and follows two alleged suicide attempts.

speaking to radio 5 live, the singer's manager said that harvey briefly regained consciousness and recognised his name, which is "a good sign in terms of his recovery".

he said: "it looks as if brian was reversing down the road with his door open, looking out to see where he was going, and the door hit a parked car which sent his car out of control...somehow he was thrown from the vehicle and crushed."

the manager revealed that harvey's injuries include a broken leg and six breaks to the pelvis.

he added: "his abdominal area was pushed very high into his chest, they had to drain his lungs yesterday and there was also damage to his ribs... people have speculated it might be a suicide attempt but i don't think you could plan this if you tried. there are easier ways to kill yourself. it was just a freak accident and a piece of seriously bad luck."

a scotland yard spokesperson said that police were called to the scene by the london ambulance service at 1.53am on tuesday (may 31). there were no other passengers in harvey's vehicle, which ended up in a collision with another car.

the spokesman said: "the circumstances of the collision are being investigated but at this early stage we believe the man may have fallen from the driver's side of the mercedes convertible while reversing from an access road into the street."

he added: "he was alone in the car at the time and no other driver was involved."

Pubrick

Quote from: Pedro the AlpacaKelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone

yeah, i should hate it or something, but it's good.  i just wish, like, steve albini had produced it, it would be even better.
i kinda like her new one too. ... i'm considering...... stealing her album  :yabbse-lipsrsealed:
under the paving stones.

Weird. Oh

there's a band called Cherry Twister that released an album back in 2000 called At Home With Cherry Twister. Barnone, my favorite pop/rock album. It's a shame they split up so quickly. The brilliant songwriter Steve Ward has subsequently released 2 solo albums which are also great. If you are a fan of Fountains of Wayne or any pop rock with great melody and harmonies check them out.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 28, 2004, 11:35:40 AM
Avril Lavigne - "Together" and "Forgotten"

Okay, may not be lyrically solid yet, but these are really good songs. Trust me. And I still swear that "Losing Grip" is a good song.

I guess because there was a remote possibility that Avril Lavigne was still capable of making good music, I just clicked on the iTunes advertisement of her new album and previewed most of the tracks.

And wow. It is literally a Kesha album. That's not even a joke. You can only tell it's Avril Lavigne when she reaches the high register and her voice is pinched off in a nasal whine; otherwise it is literally indistinguishable from Kesha, in both form and content.

Thematically, the album is mostly concerned with celebrating alcoholism and infantilism, which this soulless shell of an artist expresses either through cliche or forced belligerence. The Avril-monster presented on this album is the precise incarnation of everything that Avril Lavigne of 2002 was so earnestly railing against.

polkablues

I will not have Ke$ha's good name besmirched by comparing Avril Lavigne to her. Avril is the middlest of the middle of the road, and Kesha is the best pop chorus writer of the 21st century.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

You even used the dollar sign.

polkablues

I was only like 30% joking in that post, by the way. I can't stand her "rapping," and she looks like she smells like a beer bottle full of cigarette butts, but listen to the choruses of "Die Young," "Your Love is my Drug," "We R Who We R," "Animal"... it's genuinely high-level pop music.
My house, my rules, my coffee