Peter Jackson's KING KONG

Started by Spike, December 14, 2003, 01:15:38 PM

RegularKarate

It's a teaser.  I think it looks good so far.  Obviously the effects will be at least twice as good once they're finished.  It was mainly to get people excited about the movie, you can't really use this as ammo to hate or like it more.

Stefen

Well then why even release a teaser?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: Stefen Posts Ghetto?Well then why even release a teaser?
(12 pages later..) just cuz.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

IM MODE: "can u stop being an asshole please?"  :kiss:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

A Matter Of Chance

In some odd, twisted turn of events, I want Jack Black to end up winning an oscar, just cuz

modage

i'm worried about jack black in this.  and the cgi.  and the fact its a remake the movie king kong.  it could really go either way.  prediction: it will be cool and make a bunch of money but overall a big disappointment from the lotr acclaim.  hopefully i'm wrong.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: themodernage02but overall a big disappointment from the lotr acclaim.
lotr was overrated anyway. PJ's got enuff money now that i don't think he's gonna shoot himself in the foot anytime soon (spectacle wise, this is guarranteed to make money). but also in quality, he seems to be makin stuff that matters to him, as he was before he hit the big time, so logically this should be the best he's done yet. i'm hoping. and if not, then .. well, LotR was overrated anyways.
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

Jack Black was awesome in the little bit we get to see of him here - I think his casting is inspired.

The last third of the trailer does sorta underwhelm - you can tell they haven't finished a lot of the CG yet, because  a.) the monsters look unfinished and b.) they probably just threw every nearly finished shot in there, because it abandons any sense of pace and story so nicely established at the beginning. PJ has even said that he's only now getting around to finalizing the design of Kong.

This movie will be a heck of a lot of fun. I can't wait to see the last scene get the Jackson swoopy-camera treatment.

Myxo

What surprised me the most about this trailer was how excited I am to see it after initially hearing that Jackson was remaking this and feeling very apathetic. Also, is this a teaser trailer? It's like two and a half minutes long. Not sure what everyone else thinks but I've seen as much as I need to.

Kal

I was almost ready to see the Empire State and the end of the trailer... I'm glad I didnt... it was a teaser but kinda the one we saw for Star Wars... it really tells you everything you need to know about the film... and most people know the story anyways so its not so much about spoilers, but showing how good it looks...

And yep... I think it looks good!

SHAFTR

Quote from: GhostboyJack Black was awesome in the little bit we get to see of him here - I think his casting is inspired.

The last third of the trailer does sorta underwhelm - you can tell they haven't finished a lot of the CG yet, because  a.) the monsters look unfinished and b.) they probably just threw every nearly finished shot in there, because it abandons any sense of pace and story so nicely established at the beginning. PJ has even said that he's only now getting around to finalizing the design of Kong.

This movie will be a heck of a lot of fun. I can't wait to see the last scene get the Jackson swoopy-camera treatment.

I don't know about the CGI not being finished.  It doesn't make sense to rush a trailer out with bad CGI, with the intention of fixing it later.  I fully expect the CGI to look like this, and it, as it stands, looks awful.  I do agree with you on Jack Black, he does look like he will pull this off.  The other problem I have, what kind of tone is this film?  Is it an adventure, horror or campy?  The trailer seemed to have elements of all of them and I think that could be a problem.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Fernando

Quote from: SHAFTR
I don't know about the CGI not being finished.  It doesn't make sense to rush a trailer out with bad CGI, with the intention of fixing it later.  I fully expect the CGI to look like this, and it, as it stands, looks awful.

More proof nobody reads Mac's posts.  :yabbse-wink:

Quote from: MacGuffin on pg.11
As impressive as he is in the trailer, Kong is still a work in progress, says Jackson, calling from his native New Zealand. "We are deciding on the length of his fur, how tangled it should be, how much gray to work around the eyes."

Shaft, I know you did that comment from what GB said, so I'm just giving you the reason why he might think that, also IIRC, with all LOTR flims they did the same, they finished the final product within weeks from its release date.

RegularKarate

Yeah, trailers for big budget effects films almost NEVER have the final CG in place.

Remember HULK?  I swore Hulk would look like shit until I saw it and saw fuggin' detailed and brilliant he ended up looking in the actual film.

MacGuffin

Comic-Con 2005: King Kong Panel
Jack Black, Naomi Watts & Adrien Brody!

One of the high points of this past weekend's Comic-Con, arguably the biggest outside of the Superman Returns panel, was Universal's presentation for director Peter Jackson's remake of King Kong.

Although Jackson himself was unable to attend (he's busy doing post-production in New Zealand for the film's December release date), he did send a video greeting to fans and promised that he will one day attend Comic-Con in person. He then presented the trailer for the film, which has been in cinemas and online for several weeks now.

Jackson then provided an exclusive peek at one scene in the film, composed of unfinished CGI effects, live-action shots of Naomi Watts as Ann Darrow, and pre-production animatics. Although incomplete, the sequence was nevertheless entertaining and left the crowd craving more.

The footage showed a knock-down, drag-out donnybrook between Kong and two T-Rexes for the possession of Ann. Kong is protecting Ann from the dinosaurs who really, really want a Naomi Watts-sized snack. The brawl spills over a cliff and down into a vast gorge. The ancient beasts' falls are broken by a network of huge interconnecting vines. How the vines are able to withstand the combined weight of all three creatures for as long as they do requires a huge suspension of disbelief but this crowd was more than willing to buy it.

Kong and the dinosaurs slowly drop down each vine, fighting each other as they go. Ann is free of all the beasts at one point, managing to cling to a swinging vine but she then finds herself perilously close to one T-Rex. The dinosaur snaps at her as she swings by pendulum-like on the vine. Kong manages to reach her, and the fight finally spills on to the ground where Kong shows he is truly the king of the jungle.

After this footage was shown, the crowd was treated to the unannounced arrival of the film's stars Adrien Brody, Naomi Watts and Jack Black. Black was clearly the audience fave, fielding the most inquiries and generating the most compliments during the Q&A. (Black's band Tenacious D later performed in concert at the convention center.)

Black said he did "mental backflips" when he learned he was going to work with Jackson. His co-stars were equally enamored with their director, and emphasized how much Jackson loved and revered the 1933 original. As respectful as the cast was of the original film, they felt that there was plenty of room for freshening things up.

When asked if he was going to employ a thirties acting style or if he felt daunted in trying to improve on the original, Black sardonically replied that it wasn't as if he had to top Brando. "(The original Kong) didn't change acting so I felt I could bring something new to it."

For her part, Watts felt that the Ann Darrow role, as originated by the late Fay Wray, is "such an iconic part in such an iconic film. I was a little nervous about that." She also noted how acting styles have changed since the first film and felt she could bring more reality to Ann's plight.

Brody added that his role in Kong was more physical than his part in The Village, joking that "it's hard to run around the jungle in dress shoes and look cool and be afraid" of things that aren't really there.

Black also entertained the crowd with an impromptu "Kong" song, egged on by Brody who provided percussion by banging on the table. It made for a very entertaining moment in a very entertaining session.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinComic-Con 2005: King Kong Panel
Jack Black, Naomi Watts & Adrien Brody!
that exclamation mark seems misplaced..
under the paving stones.