Hannibal

Started by polkablues, July 16, 2013, 02:32:03 PM

polkablues

Quote from: Fernando on May 25, 2014, 10:42:38 PM
great season two ending .

SPOILS

Quote from: polkablues on April 09, 2014, 01:18:50 AM
Yeah, this show keeps getting better and better. I can't wait to see the series of events that leads us to the scene teased at the very beginning of this season.

all that build up to that scene was worth it and while Mikkelsen is always great he was stellar in the finale.

I liked how Will mentions his memory palace which the books covered extensively and right away identifies Freddy's perfume.

SPOILS for Hannibal the book...that final scene with Gillian Anderson I guess mirrors what happened in the book, but instead is Clarice Sterling the one that runs away with him.

Fortunately, season three is a go so I guess the hunt for Hannibal has begun.

Just one more thing, Hannibal is a Chef and of course they do it on purpose but all those meals he has made look uneatable, they look like death, never tasty.

They've done something interesting with the food, which is that throughout the first season, when largely nobody suspected Hannibal of being the killer, the meals he cooked looked delicious. Like I would pay massive amounts of money to eat every bit of food on that table. Then in season two, as the truth of Hannibal comes more into focus, the food gets gradually weirder, more grotesque, and considerably less appetizing. There are so many layers of subtext and metaphor in this show, it's amazing. It could make a strong case for best show on TV right now.
My house, my rules, my coffee

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I would say, outside of perhaps Silence of the Lambs, that TV Hannibal as surpassed Movie Hannibal.

Fernando

Quote from: polkablues on May 25, 2014, 11:47:19 PM
There are so many layers of subtext and metaphor in this show, it's amazing. It could make a strong case for best show on TV right now.

yes it could, I'd say that right now we have four great shows airing. Game of Thrones, Hannibal, Fargo and Mad Men, well Hannibal and MM just ended but these past weeks have been really sweet, I actually made a double bill and watched Hannibal and Fargo back to back.

samsong

one need only see the dead ringers reference a few episodes back to know the showrunners have their heads in the right place for the material.  this season is among the best seasons of tv i've seen.  the worked out all the kinks from the first season, going full macabre opera this time around.  really pushed the boundaries of the aesthetic of network tv. 

bryan fuller did an ama on reddit and talked about how the show was conceived and executed before they were renewed, so the finale was meant to be an attempt to go out with a bang should the show get cancelled.  an unmitigated success as far as i'm concerned. 

i remember seeing a season to season breakdown of the story and at what point the novels start to come into play.  season 4 will be red dragon.

MacGuffin

Postmortem: Hannibal Boss on the "Devastating" Finale, Pressing the Reset Button for Season 3
Source: TV Guide

[WARNING: The following story contains major spoilers from the Season 2 finale of Hannibal. Read at your own risk.]

Well, that was pretty bloody perfect.

Although the titular character of NBC's Hannibal can sometimes feel like a supporting player in the exploits of Hugh Dancy's Will Graham, the Season 2 finale reminded everyone who the real star of this show is. Although Will and Jack (Laurence Fishburne) executed their elaborate plan to lure Hannibal (Mads Mikkelsen) into a trap as well they could've hoped, in the end Dr. Lecter's superhuman sense of smell gave him the upper hand.

When Will took a meeting with the not-dead Freddie Lounds (Lara Jean Chorostecki) before heading to Hannibal's office to help him destroy all his patient notes, Hannibal caught a whiff of the nosy redhead and instantly realized he'd been duped. However, Hannibal played along as Will continued to wrestle with whether or not he could actually betray Hannibal.

However, when Kade Purnell (Cynthia Nixon) pulled the plug on Jack and Will's secret operation, Jack turned in his badge and gun and headed straight to Hannibal's house. When Alana (Caroline Dhavernas) informed Will what was up, Will called to warn Hannibal that Jack was coming. But rather than run, Hannibal decided to stay and fight, and so commenced the bloody battle that we were first teased with at the beginning of the season.

But there were plenty of surprises in store. When Alana showed up to Hannibal's house to save Jack, Hannibal offered her a chance to live. But when she pulled the trigger of her (empty, thanks to Hannibal) gun, he stalked her upstairs where she encountered none other than the very much alive (albeit one-eared) Abigail Hobbs (Kacey Rohl)! Abigail seemed frightened — right up until the moment she pushed Alana out the second-story window.

When Will finally arrived, he too was stunned to see Abigail, which allowed Hannibal to sneak up behind Will and gut Will with a linoleum knife as the character famously did in Red Dragon. Hannibal explained how he'd wanted to surprise Will by bringing Abigail on their trip, but after Will's betrayal, Hannibal instead slit Abigail's throat in front of Will just to punish him.

So, with Jack, Alana, Will and Abigail bleeding out in his house, Hannibal walked away and, in a post-credits sequence, eventually boarded a plane to France with ... his former shrink Dr. Du Maurier (Gillian Anderson)! Has Bedelia been working with Hannibal all this time? And who will make it out of Hannibal's bloodbath alive? TVGuide.com chatted with executive producer Bryan Fuller, who also hints at a major reboot to the show in Season 3.

We knew the Jack-Hannibal fight was coming from the beginning of the season. How much of the rest of the finale did you know that early on?
Bryan Fuller: I knew that I wanted to have Hannibal lay waste to the remaining cast and then drop the mic and leave the stage. [Laughs] That was the main goal. Really, we wanted to demonstrate how much Will hurt Hannibal. That was a big motivation for this entire finale: It had to be the nasty breakup. It had to be the terrible doom that everyone was rocketing toward because they dared to enter into a relationship with Hannibal Lecter and thought they could outsmart him.

I was shocked by how bad I did feel for Hannibal. He looked so heartbroken.
Fuller: When he smells Freddie Lounds on Will Graham, Mads' performance is so struck in that moment because Hannibal was convinced. Will's plan succeeded; he absolutely seduced Hannibal Lecter. That's part of it for Hannibal. "You tricked me, and I allowed myself to be tricked." The other part was just the devastating loss of the friendship.

And yet, it seemed that Will tried to warn Hannibal that Jack was coming. Had Will truly betrayed Hannibal?
Fuller:  Honestly, Will did not know what he was going to do next in terms of who he was going to betray and who he was going to save. I think he could see a world in which he allowed Hannibal to get away, and there's a world where he could see him incarcerated. When Will calls Hannibal to say, "They know," part of it was to bring the series full circle back to that very first episode and create moments to parallel that. But also for Will, it could mean two things, [which] we won't really understand with absolute clarity until Season 3. On one level, it could be exactly as it appears with him calling his friend and warning him that trouble's coming. Or it could be Will calling and telling Hannibal, "They know," because he wants Hannibal to get out of there before Jack arrives because he's worried about Jack's safety. We really wanted to embrace the idea that the audience should not know at this stage what Will Graham's intentions are because we have a few more punches to be pulled — and not pulled — in Season 3.

The first huge shock in the episode is the reveal that Abigail is still alive!
Fuller: Originally, we were going to have Hannibal flying away with Abigail Hobbs. When we started talking about it, we said, "Oh, gosh, we brought Miriam back and we're brining Dr. Chilton back — does that seem like too much?" So we just thought, "Well, let's just bring her back and kill her on-screen!" [Laughs]

Where has she been all this time? And was there more to Hannibal keeping her alive than just to surprise Will?
Fuller: [In Season 1] when Hannibal was stroking her cheek and presumably about to cut her throat, he says to her, "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you in this life," which means he had to craft a new one for her. Who she was had to go away. He probably had Abigail in the same house by the sea where he was storing Miriam Lass for all those years, and I think it was about, "I'm going to, once again, take somebody who had the capacity to be a victim in their situation and transform them into their own champion." It's about having Abigail take her life back — or take a life back. Hannibal felt truly responsible for what happened to Abigail. He called her father and said "They know," and that changed her life inexorably.

Did Hannibal make Abigail push Alana out the window because of his own feelings for Alana?
Fuller: What was good about sending Abigail in is that completely surprises Alana, and the element of surprise is her downfall. Alana had a gun, she had an extra clip, and, without Abigail [coming in], she was probably going to end Hannibal in some way. So, Hannibal says, "You go in there and shove her out the window. This is what you have to do in order for us to continue what we set out to do with your life." I don't think Abigail was comfortable with that at all. She was terrified and reluctant to do it but nevertheless had to. As a result, her faith in Hannibal started to shift.

And then Abigail also was a surprise for Will, though not in the way Hannibal originally intended.
Fuller: It's so romantic! It's such a romantic gesture. [Laughs]

Gutting Will and slicing Abigail's throat was decidedly less romantic, however. Did he just want to hurt Will as much as possible?
Fuller: Absolutely. [He's saying,] "This is the world that we could've had together and it was going to be beautiful. And you ruined everything."

Is this truly the end of the relationship between them? Will does see the stag die...
Fuller: The stag always represented the connection between Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter. He started seeing the stag after he was first exposed to Hannibal's murder of Cassie Boyle impaled on the stag head in the field. It felt like, at that moment, the relationship that they had has died. Whatever comes next between them will be a fresh new hell. ...  In any relationship, when you throw a fit and end a relationship in dramatic fashion, later you might be going, "Oh, I do sort of miss them." [Laughs] The obsession is going to always work both ways between these two gentlemen.

That's assuming that Will survives!
Fuller: We are staying very true to in the incident in the novel with Will and Hannibal and it's very basic outcome.

What about the others? Will they make it as well?
Fuller: There's going to be an impact from what's happened here. It's safe to say that not everybody survives. Everyone that's laying their breathing could be breathing their last breaths. It doesn't go well for all of them.

Meanwhile Hannibal escapes to France ... with Dr. Du Maurier! Has she been in on this the whole time?
Fuller: The answers to exactly why Bedelia Du Maurier is on a plane to France with Hannibal Lecter is all part of the first episode of Season 3, which will essentially function as a new pilot for a new series because everything's different.

Will we be seeing much more of Bedelia next season now that Gillian Anderson's other NBC show was canceled?
Fuller: She's a very busy lady. But if I had my druthers, she'd be a series regular in Season 3.

You said next season will be different. Does that mean you're shifting the point of view to be more squarely about Hannibal?
Fuller: Season 3 is going to be a lot of fun because it's going to be taking a lot of disparate elements from the novel Hannibal Rising and the novel Hannibal and mashing them up together as part of the thrust of the season. It's going to be fun to bastardize two novels into one sort of Frankenstein season. I will brace everybody right now: We're significantly changing the Hannibal origin story from Hannibal Rising.

You originally had mapped out certain seasons to follow certain books. Is that still your plan, or have you abandoned that timeline?
Fuller: The books won't necessarily be in sequential order. We'll be hitting elements of each of them except Silence of the Lambs in the next season. My hope is that not only do we have a completely different Hannibal Lecter story in Season 3, but we will meet some of those great characters like Francis Dolarhyde and  Lady Murasaki and weave them into the world in a unique way.

Do you know when the show will be back or when you'll go back into production?
Fuller: We're having that meeting Tuesday. I'm hoping we start production a little later this year because we had very few weeks in the writers' room before cameras started rolling, and it was hard to keep up. I'm hoping we have a little bit more time in the writers' room. Because this season is so different and it is such a departure structurally from what we've been doing in the first two seasons, I want to make sure we've thought it through very well.

What parts of the structure will change the most? The setting? The case-of-the-week format?
Fuller: The basic structure revolving around the FBI will be less prominent in Season 3 — at least for the first half of the season.

That doesn't sound good for Jack's survival! And Laurence Fishburne does recur on a new ABC sitcom.
Fuller: Laurence is also a very busy man. One of the wonders of this season is: Will Alana survive and will Jack Crawford survive? Will Abigail Hobbs survive? Those are things that are going to be revealed very slowly at the beginning of Season 3.

So, when you said before that somebody doesn't make it, you were including Abigail in that? I assumed she was already gone.
Fuller:  I'm speaking of everybody in that house that was dying. And it doesn't just mean that only one person could be dead.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Bryan Fuller Talks HANNIBAL Season 3. 

The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror recently held the 40th Annual Saturn Awards, celebrating the best of genre film and television at the Castaway Starlight Ballroom in Burbank, Calif.  Gravity took home the most awards, with five statues, while Marvel's Iron Man 3 won the inaugural Best Comic-to-Film Motion Picture award, Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead both won three, and Hannibal took home Best Network Television Series.  Special Saturn Awards recognitions when to writer/producer Bryan Fuller (Dan Curtis Legacy Award), Greg Nicotero (George Pal Memorial Award) and Malcolm McDowell (Life Career Award).

While at the event, Collider chatted with Hannibal showrunner Bryan Fuller, who talked about how they get away with what they get away with on Hannibal, why he considers it an art show, the directors that influence him, both in the past and for the upcoming season, the metaphor of Will Graham being a bit of a Frankenstein's monster, that they'll be breaking Season 3 into two chapters, that they were told by David Bowie's people to check in again about his availability once they have the filming schedule for the third season, that he would love to get David Thewlis on the show, and how he's been trying to get his Pushing Daisies cast on, as well.

Collider:  How are you this evening?

BRYAN FULLER:  I'm great!  I'm wonderful!  We got a nice award.
How do you get away with Hannibal on network television?  How does this show exist?

FULLER:  We get away with it, with an incredible amount of support from a network and a studio that has given us not only creative license, but actually has just embraced and supported us as storytellers, in a way that I've never experienced before, in my career of writing for TV.  It's really a testament to the studio and the network for being hungry for something different.

Alan Sepinwall has described your show as an art show, and that's probably right.  It's one of the only art TV shows.

FULLER:  I love that he considers us an art show.  I consider us an art show.  I love that we are a pretentious art show.  I love pretension and I love art.  Under the Skin was my favorite movie of the year.  I love to be as pretentious and arty as we can be.

When you look at this past season, there are Cronenberg and Lynchian vibes.

FULLER:  All over the place.

What type of filmmakers are you looking to, for this new season?

FULLER:  For the new season, we have actually been talking a lot about classic horror and Universal horror, and the metaphor of Will Graham being a bit of a Frankenstein's monster.  He dies, essentially, at the end of the season, and comes back from that stitched together a new man.  Who that man is and how he's seeking his maker is going to be the thrust of the season.

Since Hannibal is going to Europe, will any European filmmakers influence it, like Nicolas Roeg or Ken Russell?

FULLER:  I think Dario Argento is a big influence on the show, in terms of our production design.  There is something so purple and operatic about what he has always done, particularly his use of colors and never being afraid of the garish and embracing that as part of his vocabulary.  So, there is going to be a bit of Dario Argento there.  There has been, and I think we're going to continue to embrace that aesthetic.

How did casting come about?  How did you come to the decision of Mads Mikkelsen?

FULLER:  Well, it came about because one of the things that was very important was that Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter have a likeability, not only on screen but with each other.  The fact that Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen are very good friends in real life cinched the deal, in my mind.  That was important because I knew it was going to translate to screen.  We wanted the audience to like these two men liking each other.

Structurally, you divided this last season in two.  What prompted that structure?

FULLER:  The chapters of the storytelling felt like it was organic.  We would have our first chapter of the asylum story, and then the second chapter of Will on the loose, seducing Hannibal in a way that he felt was natural to that relationship.  We're going to have something similar in the third season, where we're breaking up the season in two chapters.

Are you any closer to tracking down David Bowie and getting him on the show?

FULLER:  We were told by his people, when we got the pick-up for the third season, to make sure to ask again about his availability.  So, once we have our dates, we are going to ask again.  I think the man walks on water, so I would love to be in his orbit, in some way.

So, do you know if anyone has actually told him that you want him on the show?

FULLER:  Yeah, he knows.  He's aware.  He's very aware.  But, he's also very, very busy.  He's got lots of exciting things coming out, musically.  That was the block to the second season.  He's incredibly busy.

Are there any other dream people that you'd want to cast?

FULLER:  There are so many because I'm such a fan of actors.  Even tonight, seeing the wonderful actors being honored here, like Malcolm McDowell and getting Lance Henriksen back on the show.  I'm a huge fan of David Thewlis.  I would love him to come and play with us.  And Brad Dourif.  So, there is no shortage of people on that list that I'm desperate to get on the show.

You also like to bring former cast back that you've worked with before.  Are there actors from your past resume that you'd love to bring onto the show?

FULLER:  I would love to get Kristin Chenoweth on this show.  I would love to get Lee Pace.  I would love to get Anna Friel.  Those are all people that we've gone down roads with, to try to secure them in the past, but scheduling hasn't worked out.  But, I'm never going to stop trying.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

samsong

richard armitage has been cast as francis dolarhyde (red dragon) for the next season.  pretty stoked on that, though i think ex-fuller actor and fellow hobbit star lee pace would've been a better choice.  also michael pitt won't be reprising his role as mason verger, which is pretty disappointing seeing as how great he was.  some guy named joe anderson is filling in. 

can't wait.

Fernando

Jeremy Blackman

That's a tad spoilery.

Although I guess it doesn't reveal who survived beyond Will Grayum.

samsong

the new season has begun, and what a fucking beginning it is.  great episode.  happy to have it back.

Fernando

yes, that episode was wonderful.

I'm still amazed that this show is on network tv, glad the pacing hasn't changed one bit and the music/sounds is the best that's ever been.

Jeremy Blackman

Watched it and enjoyed it. I admire that they somehow got away with this episode as a season premiere.

I still get the feeling, though, that Hannibal isn't quite achieving the profundity that it thinks it is. I can live with that, though. There are worse qualities.

Fernando

'Hannibal' Canceled by NBC, But Bryan Fuller Hopes to 'Dine Again'

Creator Bryan Fuller respectfully thanked NBC for their support of the show after news of the cancellation broke, but he's not giving up on his beloved horror opera just yet.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/hannibal-canceled-by-nbc-but-bryan-fuller-hopes-to-dine-again-20150622

--- --- ---

I hope it gets picked up by any of the streaming services, if Netflix saved The Killing, saving Hannibal should be a no-brainer.

Jeremy Blackman

To be clear, this whole season is apparently airing. From the article:

"NBC has been a wonderful home for three seasons of 'Hannibal,' and we still have 10 mind-blowing episodes taking Hannibal and Will into uncharted terrain." De Laurentiis wrote to Buzzfeed. "We believe that after they air, audiences' hunger for the fourth chapter of this saga will be incredible, and are presently exploring other distribution options with our creative team and our partners at Gaumont Television."

Fernando

new episode airs this saturday, like you didn't know already.

this half season has been great and when you think it can't get any weirder they top themselves but also the writing is brilliant.

e.g. that surrogate pig was insane, then that last talk between Will and Lecter was fantastic.