Most untimely deaths in music history....

Started by Kev Hoffman, October 17, 2003, 09:37:49 AM

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Alethia

george harrison (maybe not when he died, but when he was stabbed about 2 yrs before that)

NEON MERCURY

.shannon hoon..

blind melon is way under rated..

grab..." letters from a porcupine".....
its a cool dvd..

freakerdude

Robert Johnson - most of you youngsters don't know who this is but he was a key figure in the birth of the blues. He recorded 29 songs (41 including alternates) around 1937 and only lived to be 27 yo, before he was poisoned by a jealous husband. Robert was a big time womanizer. Legend has it that he sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads to learn how to play the blues. Just him singing, his acoustic guitar, and the stomping of his foot for rythm.
Hendrix - imagine what more this guy could have done
Duane Allman - his own motorcycle crushed him against a tree
Bob Marley - gang green > cancer from a stubbed toe playing soccer
Berry Oakley - Allman Bros. bassist died almost exactly 1 year after Duane...both from motorcycle accidents about 1 block away. His helmet severed a vein in his neck.
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Stevie took Eric Clapton's original seat on that helicopter flight for some reason unknown to me.
Bonham
Morrison
Joplin
Bon Scott - choked and suffocated on his own vomit
Kurt Cobain
Layne Staley of Alice In Chains - wasted away on heroin in his apt. for years

Faded into wasteland: Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd.
MC Pee Pants

Mesh

Holy shit, how has John Lennon not been mentioned yet?  It took the next Beatle 20+ more years to die!

Keith Moon, drummer of The Who, died right around that same time, too.  HUGE LOSS to rock music.

D. Boon of the Minutemen died in 1984, just as that band was starting to get really, incredibly good......But fIREHOSE and Mike Watt ain't been too bad in his absence!

And, because no one else will mention him, I will:  Cliff Burton, bassist on Metallica's first three albums.

MacGuffin

Quote from: MeshHoly shit, how has John Lennon not been mentioned yet?

He's in the very first post that started off this thread.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Mesh

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: MeshHoly shit, how has John Lennon not been mentioned yet?

He's in the very first post that started off this thread.

What's your point?

:lol:

:oops:

edit:  No one here really misses that dude from Sublime very much, right? What about that one member of Lush that died?  Most recent tragic loss to modern music:  Mary Hansen of Stereolab.  And while I'm at it, Frank Zappa died far too young.  I didn't even become a fan until he'd been gone 4 or 5 years.  Shit.

Mesh

I just thought of two more sad ones:  Dennis Wilson and Michael Hutchence.

The only consolation there is that both died after their best music had most likely already been recorded.

coffeebeetle

more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

modage

Quote from: coffeebeetleR.I.P Elliot Smith

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

rustinglass

I know he's been mentioned before but godam I wish jeff buckley was still alive. I want more of his music.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Pedro

:cry:

Kev Hoffman

Quote from: themodernage02

Horribly... I must add.

R.I.P. Elliot

aclockworkjj

fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHAFTR

Quote from: aclockworkjjfuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no matter how many times used...the FUCK never dies.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"