Akira Kurosawa

Started by xerxes, January 10, 2003, 12:56:53 AM

budgie

Quote from: MacGuffinTHE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER notes that writer Marshall Smith has been tapped as scriptwriter for a remake of the Akira Kurosawa classic SEVEN SAMURAI in production at Miramax.

The remake remains untitled, and the article notes that it's unlikely the filmmakers will adopt the same tack as a previous American remake, THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN.

It has to be a sci-fi.

MacGuffin

Tom Hanks Up for Price's Ikiru Remake

According to Variety, DreamWorks is in talks with Richard Price to script a remake of the 1952 Akira Kurosawa film Ikiru as a starring vehicle for Tom Hanks.

The project is the story of a low-level bureaucrat who learns that he has terminal stomach cancer and tries to have some impact on the world. In Kurosawa's version, the man decides to use his skills to build a park.

Price will begin work on the film right after he turns in his script for a Rudin-produced untitled project that reteams Jodie Foster and director Jonathan Demme for the first time since both won Oscars for "Silence of the Lambs". The movie is expected to be filmed next year.

Price wrote Ransom, Sea of Love and The Color of Money and has authored novels including "Clockers," "Freedomland" and "The Wanderers." Knopf just published his latest novel, "Samaritan," which was set up at Paramount with producer Scott Rudin for $2 million last year.

Hanks is shooting the Robert Zemeckis-directed The Polar Express, then will do the Joel and Ethan Coen-directed remake of The Ladykillers for Disney. He then reteams with "Private Ryan" helmer Steven Spielberg in the DreamWorks drama Terminal.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

xerxes

Ravi

Why bother to remake a Kurosawa film?  His films are so great that the remake would seem pale in comparison.  I'm glad that the Kurosawa retrospective is making the rounds and will be in my city in April!

What did you guys think of "Those Who Tread on Tiger's Tail"?

xerxes

Quote from: Ravi
What did you guys think of "Those Who Tread on Tiger's Tail"?

i enjoyed it... although it is not one of his best

cine

Remaking "Ikiru" will encourage more North American filmgoers to fall in love with the Tom Hanks performance and snub Shimura's, and thats a crying shame. There's too many people out there now who love "the Magnificent Seven" and haven't even heard of a Samurai before. Seriously thats really sad. Also, lets not forget that Lucas is NOT a genius for inventing some of those unforgettable characters in "Star Wars".. yeah, guess what.. watch "The Hidden Fortress"... Most people around HERE knew all that... but the majority.. nope. And they won't be picking up a Japanese film anytime soon either.

Ravi

Quote from: CinephileRemaking "Ikiru" will encourage more North American filmgoers to fall in love with the Tom Hanks performance and snub Shimura's, and thats a crying shame. There's too many people out there now who love "the Magnificent Seven" and haven't even heard of a Samurai before. Seriously thats really sad. Also, lets not forget that Lucas is NOT a genius for inventing some of those unforgettable characters in "Star Wars".. yeah, guess what.. watch "The Hidden Fortress"... Most people around HERE knew all that... but the majority.. nope. And they won't be picking up a Japanese film anytime soon either.

Well, maybe Ringu and Spirited Away...

Ernie

The only thing I've put off seeing more than The Matrix is kurosawa's films. I have to admit my ignorance to his films. Not because I am disinterested in them, I just ALWAYS forget about wanting to rent them. I do the same thing with Ingmar Bergmanm, it's weird. It's completely unintentional, I have no idea why I always put it off. I'm putting them on my Netflix list right now...I must see them.

I finally did end up seeing The Matrix recently by the way...very cool. I need to see it again.

cine

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: CinephileRemaking "Ikiru" will encourage more North American filmgoers to fall in love with the Tom Hanks performance and snub Shimura's, and thats a crying shame. There's too many people out there now who love "the Magnificent Seven" and haven't even heard of a Samurai before. Seriously thats really sad. Also, lets not forget that Lucas is NOT a genius for inventing some of those unforgettable characters in "Star Wars".. yeah, guess what.. watch "The Hidden Fortress"... Most people around HERE knew all that... but the majority.. nope. And they won't be picking up a Japanese film anytime soon either.

Well, maybe Ringu and Spirited Away...

Oh yeah, I shouldn't have said nobody will be picking up Japanese films.. I meant the predecessors for the American remakes.. I should've made that clear. Mayazaki films are popular everywhere within North America.. while "Ringu", I think is getting attention because people saw "the Ring" and news spread it was the original.. Anyway, good call.

budgie

On the other hand, if we forget the world is against us for a moment, remaking Ikiru will encourage some North American filmgoers to go see the original as well as falling in love with another Tom Hanks performance (and personally I am looking forward to that moment). Also, may I have the names and addresses of all those people 'out there' who love the Magnificent Seven? I volunteer to enlighten them and show them how inferior their culture is. Soon enough all of America will be snapping up Japanese movies and you will have even more reason to treat them with disdain. Suddenly we will be hearing all about The Magnificent Seven being a cult movie and how nobody understands you... I can't wait.

cine

Quote from: budgie
Suddenly we will be hearing all about The Magnificent Seven being a cult movie and how nobody understands you... I can't wait.

Whatever tickles your fancy, right?

xerxes

i've never seen the magnificent seven

Mesh

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThough some films do go into more than one category, it seems Kurosawa has basically made films within those three categories for the most part.

DREAMS, of course, can't be categorized this way.  Unlike anything else in Kurosawa's career: it's his FOUR ROOMS, if you will.... :roll:

Mesh

Quote from: CinephileRemaking "Ikiru" will encourage more North American filmgoers to fall in love with the Tom Hanks performance and snub Shimura's, and thats a crying shame.

A successful Tom Hanks remake would unquestionably bring about well-deserved, renewed attention to the brilliant Kurosawa original....How could that be a bad thing?

Keep in mind that IKIRU really does present a timeless, almost Capra-esque folk tale....it's applicable to virutally any culture, any time.

Gold Trumpet

exception to rule, of course.

~rougerum