Wilco

Started by European Son, May 06, 2003, 03:25:16 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I saw Wilco last night and it was amazing.  The biggest highlight was definitely ALTWYS, Hummingbird was also really good.

The Early Day Miners opened, and they were really good (though I wouldn't associate Wilco with them, whatever).  The real downside of the evening was that this guy in the audience screamed "Tigers 3, Yankees 0" between songs.  I was annoyed, but I dealt with it since it was between songs.  Later that night, during a slower song that I hadn't heard before and was getting into, the guy screamed "Tigers 5, Yankees 0!"

I was sufficiently pissed.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

Direct from Gateway Mastering Studios in Portland, Maine... here's the tracklisting, as of now, for Sky Blue Sky - which those of you who pay attention to such things know is coming out on Nonesuch on May 15.

Either Way
You Are My Face
Impossible Germany
Sky Blue Sky
Side with the Seeds
Shake it Off
Please Be Patient With Me
Hate it Here
Leave Me (Like You Found Me)
Walken
What Light
On and On and On
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

tpfkabi

we skipped Sunken Treasure...

i don't understand why people go to Tweedy's solo shows and shout like that. my friend went to the Nashville show not too long ago and it was ruined by some guy shouting things over and over.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

I Love a Magician

http://smartley3.wilcoworld.net/sbs/

listen to the new album tonight

right now

listen to it

edit: nevermind they done close'ed'er up

modage

Quote from: I Love a Magician on March 04, 2007, 01:58:26 AM
http://smartley3.wilcoworld.net/sbs/
i tried around 11pm to get into that last night and i clicked the bird but it wouldnt load.  hopefully somebody ripped it and the leak will get out there today.  (let me know!)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

More breaking news from Wilcoworld...

don't forget to push your clocks ahead Saturday night & embrace our
forward-thinking leadership's first foray into energy conservation --
early daylight savings. Once you have that done, make a note of the
times below as we're doing another live-on-demand stream of Wilco's
forthcoming record this Sunday (March 11th). We've altered the plan a bit this time to accommodate our international listeners.

enjoy the weekend.

The Wilco HQ staff

Wilco Sky Blue Sky streaming audio times

1 am - 1 pm AEDT - Monday
2 pm - 2 am GMT
10 am - 10 pm EASTERN
7 am - 7 pm PACIFIC

squints

I'm listening to it right now. Kick ass!
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

anyone reading this thread knows i've been a pretty big wilco fan for a long time but goddamn this new album is really not doing anything for me.

squints

why not? not a steely dan fan?

clerkguy23

sky blue sky is incredible. i dont know how wilco does it so right every time.

tpfkabi

my first listen through on the way home - i felt disappointed.

next day to now - i love it.

as an 11 song album minus Leave Me* i think it'd be perfect.

Shake it Off DVD is great as well.

favorite bits on the album right now:

-glenn's cowbell hits during Shake it Off
-the repeating one note guitar towards the end of Walken

*not bad, but it feels like an AM era b-side.

Stefen

So, a year ago if you asked me what I thought of Wilco, I would tell you "I don't get it" and would go on about how Jeff Tweedys voice is one of the worst I have ever heard.

1 year later they are my favorite band and Jeff Tweedy is my favorite songwriter, and currently has my favorite voice in music.

What is it about Tweedy's voice? I mean, it's not good, but it's fucking great. It's raspy and at times hurts your ears, but it sounds so fucking good.

Jeff Tweedy's voice is a paradox.

Anyways, Sky Blue Sky has about 4 AMAZING songs and the rest I can't even remember. If any other band released Sky Blue Sky, it would make top 5 lists and most top 1's of the year, but since it's Wilco, it doesn't even crack most top 20's.

It's got alot of great songs, and some forgettable ones. Isn't that 99% of music anyways?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

tpfkabi

they are definitely playing the VW/wilco commercials a lot...