American Dreamz

Started by MacGuffin, December 16, 2005, 02:34:01 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: April 14, 2006

Director: Paul Weitz

Cast: Hugh Grant, Marcia Gay Harden, Mandy Moore, Dennis Quaid, Richard Dreyfuss, Willem Dafoe, Judy Greer, Chris Klein, Jennifer Coolidge, John Cho, Seth Meyers, Bernard White

Premise: A satire of American identity, based around the wildly popular television singing contest called "American Dreamz."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Man, I remember back when he said he was going to write something about the state of American and morals and religion. And this is it?
WWPTAD?

ono

American Dreamz.

Paul Weitz.

No thankz.

Ultrahip

"For the people who didn't get Syriana..."

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Kal

Trailer doesnt look very good... but the casting is great... I was looking forward to see what this would be.

I definetly enjoy Paul Weitz films... and Hugh Grant is always good... Mandy Moore is beautiful... and Willem Defoe bald with a little white hair... maybe it will work!

Fishbulb

I don't care what anyone says, I'm officially looking forward to this. Plus, Mandy's hot.

SiliasRuby

Oooo Mandy Moore! Yes, this will be awesome.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pubrick

Quote from: Fishbulb on March 22, 2006, 11:41:41 AM

wow, that made the movie look really stupid.

however, as you point out, mandy is amazing.
under the paving stones.

Derek237

"Imagine a country where the president never reads the newspaper, where the government goes to war for all the wrong reasons, and where more people vote for a pop idol than their next president."

I'm really looking forward to this. About a Boy is one of my all time favourites and I had no complaints about In Good Company. The satire here could either make for Weitz's most excellent, ambitious film yet, or one of his worst blunders. I like how he's not staying safe with the 'life crisis' type theme anymore, I respect that (thought it just might pop in some way anyway). Really excited about it. 

diggler

saw this at an advance screening at UB last week.

don't expect any biting satire on current events. the film just goes for laughs. that being said, it was pretty funny.

...And i never thought i'd say this, but chris klein steals the movie. no joke.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: ddiggler6280 on April 11, 2006, 07:03:09 PM
...And i never thought i'd say this, but chris klein steals the movie. no joke.

I thought he kind of stole Election, too.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ultrahip

Yeah, I saw this at SXSW and I agree with the fellow with the many-eyed monty python monster avatar. Some good laughs to be had, but all in all, this film is trivial and almost sadly insignificant considering what might have been.