Allan Quartermain movies

Started by Redlum, January 23, 2004, 05:11:25 AM

Redlum

I've just realised that these are out on DVD. These were favourites when I was very young and used to buy any cheap ex-rental I could get from blockbuster. They were lke another Indiana Jones movie to me, although even at the time I knew they were vastly inferior. Pretty fun anyway, I might just get them to see what they really look like having never seen a decent copy of them. Anyoneelse like/seen/hate these?

(the first one was just called King Solomans Mines)
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Raikus

I used to watch King Solomon's Mines all the time as a kid. Don't really know why now. And I can't remember much about the film except for them rolling down a hill in a cannibal's pot and the German eating all the diamonds.

Ah, the days of youth.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

pete

I remember King Soloman too (only seen it once though).  I remember the Israeli that got eaten by a giant spider, an African native who didn't believe in riding cars, the chick that swallowed a bug in the end when the water was rising, and very little else.
I think the first movie's actually called "king soloman's treasure", a remake of a 1937 film called "king soloman's mines."  Or you can say they're both adaptations of the same novel.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

i havent seen those but i did see THIS Allan Quatermain ...

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Quote from: themodernage02i havent seen those but i did see THIS Allan Quatermain ...

i was gonna post that...   but hesitated...    :cry:
context, context, context.

Ghostboy

I loved King Solomon's Mines too...I remember it being so cool (although, as said, not as cool as Indiana Jones). I didn't see Lost City Of Gold until I was older and had the flu one day and watched a Sunday afternoon matinee of both of them on TV. I wouldn't mind getting the DVDs for nostalgia's sake.

anakin_e

I hate any movie with Richard Chamberlain with a passion, and King Soloman's mines was particularly horrible, i mean it didn't even have much "camp value" in my opinion, and this is coming from a guy who loves watching awful movies. The movie felt so incredibley cheap and cliche, but not in a fun way.
"So ya, Thought ya, Might like to go to the show. To feel the warm thrill of confusion, That space cadet glow. Tell me is something eluding you sunshine? Is this not what you expected to see? If you'd like to find out what's behind these cold eyes? You'll just have to claw your way through the Disquise - "
- Pink Floyd "The Wall"