Comic Books / Graphic Novels

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, March 15, 2006, 12:33:34 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I have nothing but utter joy to share in regards to this following book:

If you're into Batman, this cannot be missed.  It's a collection of Red Rain, Bloodstorm and Crimson Mist.  Kelley Jones is responsible for making my favorite depiction of Batman.  It is dark, visceral, somber and erotic.

I had almost forgotten about this series, but I picked it up recently and it really took me back to when it was new and upon reading it, my childbrain was warped into believing that superheroes could not only be dark, but they could be pitch black.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pas

It looks very weird, Batman is a vampire ? Does one have to like vampires to enjoy the thing ? Explanation:

I don't like vampires per se.

I love Preacher which has a vampire in the story.
I hate Twilight or anything reallllllly vampire centric.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Without giving much away if you plan on reading it, it's more Batman mythos than Vampire, it's just a really fascinating illumination of how similar Batman is to Vampires, but how he strives for the opposite sort of lifestyle.  Like how he walks the street at night and assumes solitude from society, not to live off of it, but to protect it.  By becoming a vampire, he is thrust into very existential situations of personal survival vs. survival of people he protects since now he thrives off of blood, which in a frenzy, must be obtained in any way possible.  Therefore, he may have to make people bleed in order to protect them.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

GodDamnImDaMan

Go read this now. Best Batman/graphic novel EVER!
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

squints

while "to see please visit www.coverbrowser.com" is one of the best batman/graphic novels out there i just wanna say i completed preludes and nocturnes...pretty good so far

guy at the store said he didn't have Preacher (thanks for the suggestion stefen) but i'm gonna order it online.

best part of this first bit of sandman is the 24 hours in a diner part. that shit was fucked!
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

GodDamnImDaMan

a wise guy eh? See if you can figure this out...

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

When it comes to Sandman, you can't go wrong with Golden Age.

Wesley Dodds is one of the finest heroes around.  Even if you're more wrapped up in the dreamlike realm that's more prevalent in newer Sandman, Mystery Theater isn't written by Gaiman, but this is better to me.  It plays with the conventions of dreams and reality in a more straightforward manner, interweaving the flexibility of the two with pulp rag oriented stories about murderers, hustlers, thugs, etc.  His title explores a lot of terrirtory that Batman treads, but with more grit and surreality (depending on the issue) but it can get downright hallucinatory if you're into that.  And I am.

The Perineum Falcon

A Game of You has always been one of my favorite Sandman collections, as well as The Kindly Ones.

Also, have you checked out Gaiman's collaboration with Amano of FF fame? The artwork is, expectedly, quite beautiful and the tale involves alot of Japanese folktales/ghost stories.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I loved it probably because I'm so nostalgiac for FF6 (not to say either lack any merit.  FF6 is probably my favorite of the series, but that's another story completely.)

GodDamnImDaMan

Quote from: Walrus on May 15, 2009, 01:09:20 AM
I loved it probably because I'm so nostalgiac for FF6 (not to say either lack any merit.  FF6 is probably my favorite of the series, but that's another story completely.)

Nostalgiac for my cockaroonie?

polkablues

Pretty cool Google logo in honor of Will Eisner's birthday. 
My house, my rules, my coffee