Your first PTA-experience?

Started by Spike, October 23, 2003, 10:49:19 AM

Spike

I don't think this has been asked before, so I'm going to do it:
How did you get in touch with PTAs films?

For me it began, when I was about 10 years old. In a magzine I read about a movie called "Boogie Nights". The pics which were in the magazine were quiet cool, but soon I forgot about it. Then about 2 years ago "Boogie Nights" was shown for the first time on TV here in Germany and I decided to record it on VHS. So I did and I simply loved the movie and I saw the Rahad-scene nearly every day. By the time I got a DVD-player and I wanted to buy "Magnolia", but I didn't know if I would like it so I bought the VHS and once more I loved a PTA-flick. After a couple of months I bought it on DVD. And about 3 or 4 months they showed "Sydney" on TV, I watched it but I didn't record it so I just have seen it once (but I fucking loved it).
And today I've seen "PDL" and it's really my 2nd favourite PTA-flick.
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Spike

"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

molly

Magnolia. My favourite film critic who I trust completely praised it like no other film before.

Vile5

Magnolia, in a wonderful summer day...
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

kenstadigspta

When i was like 13 and saw Hard Eight(Sydney) on ifc late in the night. I didnt know anything and i didnt really care for the flick cause i 13 and didnt have that much patience for "good" movies(dramas) i liked Gwyneth Paltro though(thats why i watched it) So then about a year later i saw the trailer for Punch-Drunk Love and was like "Oh an Adam Sandler Movie hehe"(ya know) so i really wanted to see i so i did with my whole family.

I thought it was the "WEIRDEST" thing i'de ever seen But i LOVEDit so much. I then saw Independent Focus with PTA and thought he was a complete GNIOUS and so later i saw Magnolia then Boogie Nights and now i'm just in love with him and his films. so ya. thats mine.

(digpta) :shock:

analogzombie

When i was 17 I went with some friends to see "Boogie Nights" on Halloween. we dressed as pimps and blaxploitation characters for the ocassion. after the Dirk pick-up truck scene most everyone else in the audience left. The next day I hunted down Hard Eight. The rest is history.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Finn

I saw Hard Eight, Boogie Nights, Magnolia and PDL all in theaters.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Gloria

Yesterday, I finally saw Magnolia.....my first PTA experience ever.  And I have to say, it was an interesting one.  Here is what I thought of the movie. (Even if I am preaching to the chior here)

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I didn't know what to expect from this movie, and now afterward, I still am trying to figure out all the connections and underlying meanings.  I admit that I will have to see it again to work out the gray areas. Tom Cruise was spectacular and Julianne Moore was heartbreaking to watch. But I was also impressed with the boy who went on the gameshow. He was a wonderful little actor.  And, of course, the ever watchable John C. Reily was by far the best 'average guy trying to do good' put to the screen. Throughout this movie, the characters get more and more depressing to watch....I was beginning to think this would be 'feel bad movie of the year,' But then....it started raining frogs.  I admit, I was completely and totally confused. But, after thinking about it for a while, I realized what it meant and why it had to happen.  I believe that if the frogs never existed, the ending would not have given as much hope and reassurance about the future of the wonderfully crafted characters. It may sound weird, but true. I laughed really hard at the 'drop kick those dogs' part.  The scene at the pharmacy was really emotional and heart-wrenching.  Phillip Seymore Hoffman's character was sweet and caring, caught in the middle of a mess of emotionally strained people.  He almost becomes a part of the family emotionally, especially when he is crying when Julianne Moore is apologizing to him, and he even went to extreme lengths to find the man's long lost son. I feel like I've only seen part of the movie, because some scenes I need to watch again in order to completely understand.

Sorry if this 'review' belonged in another thread, but it was my first PTA experience and I just wanted to share what I thought with everyone.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: GloriaSorry if this 'review' belonged in another thread, but it was my first PTA experience and I just wanted to share what I thought with everyone.
it's all good in the hood.  But wait, you haven't seen PDL?

glad you liked, it muy fav.

kotte

Quote from: GloriaPhillip Baker Hall's character was sweet and caring, caught in the middle of a mess of emotionally strained people.  He almost becomes a part of the family emotionally, especially when he is crying when Julianne Moore is apologizing to him, and he even went to extreme lengths to find the man's long lost son.

That wasn't Philip Baker Hall...but Philip Seymore Hoffman.

So haven't seen one of PTA's movies before Magnolia yesterday?

Are there more people here who actually haven't seen a PTA film?
That'd be amazing since more than 95% of us here are PTA fans.

Gloria

Quote from: kotteThat wasn't Philip Baker Hall...but Philip Seymore Hoffman.

Sorry, my bad :oops:
Should have just said 'Phil'

Quote from: aclockworkjjBut wait, you haven't seen PDL?

Nope. I wanted to see it in theaters but never got to....

ElPandaRoyal

QuoteYour first PTA-experience?

It was great, but I came too quickly.
Si

prophet

Ron Jeremny made a comment about BN on E, he said that it was a good movie but only a very small group of pll were like the group in BN.
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...