Magnolia Homage

Started by Squawks, October 29, 2003, 12:45:08 AM

Squawks

I just saw this commercial, can't remember what it was for - an internet thing I think. But it was clearly an homage to Magnolia. "Consider the case of three inmates..." I thought it was rather amusing.

TheVoiceOfNick

I saw that too... the one about the Hackers... I think it was for one of those networking companies... Cisco, Novell, or something like that... I can see how you could say Magnolia, although I wasn't thinking it at the time...

aclockworkjj

yo, yo.....!!!!!!
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=803&highlight=cisco

you can watch it too...click the link in the 1st post on that thread, or here.

Gamblour.

Sounds just like Ricky Jay. pretty cool
WWPTAD?

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Gamblor the ManwhoreSounds just like Ricky Jay.
hehehe....that's cause it is...

EDIT:...thus the "hehehe"

Weak2ndAct

Errol Morris does the Cisco/Ricky Jay ads.

kotte

I was watching TV the other night...swedish TV...this dramashow 'Cleo' was on. Al of a sudden a depressed character started to sing. And then another one. And another one. And another one...

It screamed Magnolia ripoff. Not homage but ripoff. It was obvious the writers wanted credit for it and felt very good about themselfes.

TheVoiceOfNick

Magnolia is so good, you have to just accept that people will rip it off...

Cathartic Cleansing

That's funny. In the Cico commercial he even talks about "seamingly random events"  :lol:
If you sit and believe, you can acheive
If you sit and accept, you don't know, what's correct
or incorrect-- KRS-ONE

MacGuffin

I just saw a Burger King commercial which looked like a cross between the "Juice By Tappy" infomercials from "Requiem For A Dream" and TJ Mackey from "Magnolia." At the end of the commercial, the modivator, called Dr. Angus, says "Respect The Angus. Respect The King."

That is all. This has been another edition of MacGuffin Wastes A Minute Of Your Time.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

tame the burger.... TAME IT!!!!!

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffinI just saw a Burger King commercial which looked like a cross between the "Juice By Tappy" infomercials from "Requiem For A Dream" and TJ Mackey from "Magnolia." At the end of the commercial, the modivator, called Dr. Angus, says "Respect The Angus. Respect The King."

That is all. This has been another edition of MacGuffin Wastes A Minute Of Your Time.

I like the Angus Burger.

travisbickle1000

when i saw that bk commercial all i could think of was magnolia. i think its an homage "respect the angus, respect the king" but i might just be crazy. PT should work out a deal where he gets free whoppers

MacGuffin

Quote from: RaviI like the Angus Burger.

Do you like Colonel Angus?

If he wears out his welcome, just tap him on the head.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I love that commercial because ta the bottom it says "The Angus Diet is not a real diet."

The at the end they have this "www.angusdiet.com"
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye