Where The Wild Things Are

Started by tpfkabi, November 27, 2003, 09:31:27 PM

samsong

because i'm curious and decided to ask.

Reinhold

Quote from: B.C. Long on October 22, 2009, 11:52:27 AM
Best film of the year. Maybe from the past 5 years. I'd just like to know how in the hell Jonze was able to convince people to fund this. It's so abstract and non-commercial, it feels like it wasn't made by an american.

haha. read this whole thread. he almost lost control of the project and had a hard time getting it made for reasons similar to what you've got there.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

polkablues

Quote from: samsong on October 22, 2009, 05:29:02 AM
polka, what other masterpieces would you consider this to be among in the large army you mentioned?

My post from the Top 25 of the Decade thread:
http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=10863.msg281625#msg281625

Obviously, this is only reflective of the most recent batch of movies, only indicative of my own tastes, and I would only comfortably call about half the movies on the list masterpieces in any sense.  Were I to add Where the Wild Things Are to this list, I feel right now that it would easily be top ten, maybe even top five.
My house, my rules, my coffee

©brad

Pozer

i cant believe ive seen Paranormal Actshitty and not this. been too far outta town.

as for samsong's masterpiece beef, it's because he only finds movies enjoyable at best..

Quote from: samsong on October 03, 2009, 01:04:40 AM
i really enjoyed this

Quote from: samsong on September 23, 2009, 04:18:16 AM
i enjoyed this.  

Quote from: samsong on September 07, 2009, 12:30:06 AM
for now, i'll just say i enjoyed it.

Quote from: samsong on July 01, 2009, 05:25:21 AM
an engrossing, enjoyable gangster movie

modage

Mine is "I really liked it", when I can't quite bring myself to say "love".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

Quote from: modage on October 23, 2009, 02:16:08 PM

Same here.

Kal

Here is Dreamworks adaptation of the book:

Bethie

needed more c's in the middle of a make shift heart. also more forts.
who likes movies anyway

72teeth

read the wild thing by dave eggeers! where "wtwta" is a dramatic film for kids, "the wiold things" is a childrens book for adults... i like it so much more than the movie. the movie was hard for me too watch, carol was my dad, but none the less ive seen it 4 times in theatre... i really feel like this might be the movie that speaks top me the most. even tho i never travled to a wierd land of monsters, growing upm was that taht weird, and even now, living has thrown me so many crazy cortk screw balls that i can relate to max... being thrown in these situation that are so fantasicly crazy and sadf... 9im rambling but seriously, read "the wild things" by dave eggers, it so so ez to read yet so so deep and so vivid... it reminded me of the vigin suicides by jeffery something.... perfectly meloncholy.... i m iss you all
! i wuish i had the internet more, HAPPY HALLOWEEN'! BE SAFE! HALLOWEEN
!!!
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

socketlevel

Quote from: kal on October 23, 2009, 04:15:02 PM
Quote from: modage on October 23, 2009, 02:16:08 PM

Same here.

yep same, very impressive film to get made. It's whole deal is that it's all story and lacks plot, and while i can love movies like that (and am constantly impressed when someone can make it in the hollywood system), at the end of the day this film doesn't quite pull off the type of narrative it wants to be in a brilliant way.

i really liked it too, but i'm not going to say i love it just because of who made it or what they tried to do. It's all about end product.  this is not a masterpiece, anyone who claims it to be, in my opinion is high on the release fanfare.

the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer