Magic Mike

Started by MacGuffin, May 12, 2011, 08:02:06 PM

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 01, 2013, 10:19:53 AM
Steven Soderbergh talks Magic Mike 2
Says he'll be involved to consult on the project
Source: Total Film

Steven Soderbergh might be taking a well-earned break from directing, but his latest comments about the forthcoming Magic Mike 2 suggest that he's still spinning plenty of movie-plates.

"It's getting pretty far along," says Soderbergh of the sequel. "They've got a good idea. There were some stories and events that Channing [Tatum] lived through that we just couldn't fit in the first one.

"One of them is a really hilarious and very cinematic idea that we reluctantly didn't put in the first film, because it was such a big idea you could build a whole film out of it – but we didn't want to build that film out of it. It's perfect for this, though.

"I want to help," continues Soderbergh. "I have some proprietary feelings about it, obviously. I want to make sure it gets done and done well, so we meet every couple of weeks to talk about where it's going. But it's gonna be good. It's a good idea. It's not a retread. And there will be more time spent with the characters - all of them."

Soderbergh has already confirmed he won't quit his sabbatical to direct, but Tatum has suggested that he'd like to make the film his directorial debut. If he does, it sounds like he'll have plenty of help on hand as to where to point the camera...

At the dicks, right? That's the implication of the ellipsis, that he'll be pointing the camera at all the dicks?
My house, my rules, my coffee

whoa.i was about to watch this. are there dicks in it for real

polkablues

One out-of-focus dick and a lot of implied dick. It's a great movie, regardless of one's dick threshold. I don't hold much hope for the sequel, though.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ok im down. i mean soderberghs soderbergh right? to an extent?

BB

Just wanted to hop on and quickly say I was wrong a year and a half ago. This was pretty good.

Mel

Funny little film. Naked butts are exploited in a way that should appeal to female audience, yet man's story is in the center. Stories of Adam and Mike are somehow parallel, just set 10 years apart. Both didn't get what they wanted and we observe how they cope with disappointments. There are some darker moments there - story doesn't go this route in the end, yet idea of things going southwest stays.

About the lack of the 3rd act. I didn't mind it. Instead of that, film loops back to the beginning - you can imagine that story of Mike could begin in a place close to where Adam is at the end of the film (becoming Magic and running the show).

McConaughey as Dallas did steal the show for me - so much confidence in playing this character.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...