using only Lavs?

Started by Pastor Parsley, November 10, 2005, 12:46:59 PM

Pastor Parsley

If I were to use only Lav mics on a film, what problems might I encounter?  I've never used them, but I read that they make sound when they rub on clothing and other similar problems.  But I know that Kubrick only used lavs on the scene in the Shining were he hacks through the bathroom door and it sounds ok to me.  I wonder if they had to do much work to clean it up or not. 

Also cound I take an ambient recording with them or should I use a shotgun to capture it?

Thanks

JG

I would just use shotgun.  at an amateur level LAVs are very risky.  It's more if the characters never move.  Like a talk show.  Plus I'm assuming the quality of the lavs you have compared to Kubricks won't be nearly as good.  Shotgun is the way to go. 

Reinhold

i've done both... go with shotgun, but try lavs on set, not on people and give it a sound test. could also try it with a mixer or a separate camera w/ one source or the other to take care of sound and sync later.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pastor Parsley

Thanks for the replies!

For those that are interested, I found good info for audio at http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/archive/index.php/f-37-p-1.html

Ravi

Does anyone have recommendations for a good lavalier microphone, preferably wireless?

WideShot

I realize this is an old thread but I don't think the original poster's question was answered properly.

I think the best productions will use both a boom and lavs for several reasons.

1) In wide shots, its very difficult to get good boom coverage.

2) With a busy city background its almost a given with a boom that you're going to be doing ADR.  With lav's, not necessarily.  In fact, on a recent movie I did, I had a wide shot on a jib with a city street in the background.  Boom was completely unusable.  Lavs worked fine (but have to scrub the rustling sound). 

3) While lav's have decent audio quality, they are very inferior to a good boom's quality.

Shure makes very good wireless lavs.  People tell you to stay away from Chinese crap.  Thats a good idea.  But I got a good Chinese setup too off ebay with digital controls that worked great.