The Mexican

Started by Mesh, May 05, 2003, 03:39:07 PM

Mesh

More or less sucked.  Gore Verbinski makes movies I feel a strong urge to rip on.

That whole "gay mobster wins kidnapee's heart" subplot was assinine.  Only a character as shallow and idiotic as the one Julia Roberts played could possibly come to sympathize with her kidnapper like that; still, though, the whole idea was a nuisance.

Both Roberts and Brad Pitt played themselves and, miraculously, were bad at doing so.  Does Pitt think flailing ones arms and spinning is an effective reaction to every frustrating plot twist?  He should stop acting, period.

Also, the whole script itself was too self-consciously "clever."  That kinda shit bugs me.

One more thing:  the film was at least two or three scenes too long.

Did anyone like this movie? If you did, explain yourself.  The Mexican was SO Lawrence Bender, so 1994-5, so post-Tarantino, so 8 years too late to be any good at all....

Anyone?

Cecil

i agree. i found it quite boring

cowboykurtis

i think gore as a director is capable. i think the mexican is pretty bad -- but i dont think it's due to the directing -- it's the writing -- he makes do with what he had to work with -- i think if anything, gore should be repremanded for choosing the script -- however one can not say that he has no talent as a director -- there are far worse directors working out there.
...your excuses are your own...

Cecil

mouse hunt was pretty good

Ghostboy

I didn't see The Mexican, nor did I want to, but I got no dish with Verbinski. I loved Mouse Hunt, really liked The Ring, and there are three reasons I want to see  Pirates Of The Caribbean:

1. Johnny Depp
2. Skeleton warriors!
3. Kiera Knightley

Here's hoping Verbinski breaks the pirate movie curse. The trailer looks kinda fun.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Ghostboythree reasons I want to see  Pirates Of The Caribbean:

1. Johnny Depp
2. Skeleton warriors!
3. Kiera Knightley

Here's hoping Verbinski breaks the pirate movie curse. The trailer looks kinda fun.

Totally... Pirate/ghost movies with Johnny Depp rule.

I think it looks like it will make a good action film.

Verbinski's a good director really (not great), but he seems like he'll do whatever they throw at him and work with it as best he can.

Mexican wasn't very good at all.

bonanzataz

hook was kind of a pirate movie and it was quite successful.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Keener

I hated The Ring but loved The Mexican.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

oakmanc234

'The Mexican' was O.K. Nothing brilliant. It was too long (to the point where you just didn't care anymore, I hate when films do that). I felt an inside groan everytime one of those Mexico flashbacks appeared. Pitt was a tad annoying at times, Roberts had ten too many bitching scenes, I liked Gandolfini in it, the plot was cool, there was a few good shocks/suprises at times.
I heard David Fincher was going to direct early on, if he did, THEN it would've really been something.
I liked it a lot more the second time I saw it.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Mesh

Quote from: cowboykurtisi think gore as a director is capable. i think the mexican is pretty bad -- but i dont think it's due to the directing -- it's the writing -- he makes do with what he had to work with -- i think if anything, gore should be repremanded for choosing the script -- however one can not say that he has no talent as a director -- there are far worse directors working out there.

I'll pretty much go along with this....

....and, yeah, his pirate movie does look pretty cool.