Recommend a film from this festival

Started by foray, June 24, 2006, 02:32:53 AM

foray

List of films: http://www.nzff.telecom.co.nz/searchAZ.asp?Archive=0&searchClass=AZFilms&azRange=all&whichpage=1&RegionID=2&EventID=10

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Please remember I'm on a tight budget.

I'm considering the following:

the wind that shakes the barley
the science of sleep
water
who's camus anyway?
three times
drawing restraint 9
united 93
longing
matthew barney: no restraint
hard candy
sympathy for lady vengeance
the new world

foray
touch me i'm sick

Pubrick

Quote from: foray on June 24, 2006, 02:32:53 AM
drawing restraint 9
matthew barney: no restraint
hard candy
just don't see those.
under the paving stones.

hedwig

Quote from: foray on June 24, 2006, 02:32:53 AM
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

- shortbus
- scanner darkly
- a bittersweet life
- friends with money
- the wild blue yonder
- tristram shandy: a cock and bull story

rustinglass

i have only seen two of those, but I guess they all sound great, except for hard candy, which sucks. Watch the new world.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Reinhold

i haven't seen united 93, but watching it in an audience might bring something to it that a dvd won't.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

samsong

some other films you may want to consider--

loudQUIETloud: A Film About the Pixies
Los Olvidados
My Dad is 100 Years Old
(The) Army of Shadows
The House of Sand
The Passenger
The Road to Guantanamo
Under Satan's Sun

pete

a bittersweet life is great.  it's like a john woo/ chow yunfat movie crossed with Taxi Driver.  seriously.  Eastern Zen meets hardboiled existentialism.  lotsa dark comedy, good acting, tension, and stuff.  it's way more worth seeing than The Lady Vengence.

if you haven't seen The New World on the big screen.  must see that.  Also, if you liked Herzog's "lessons from the darkness" then see The Wild Blue Yonder.
Three Times is also great.  Roger Ebert wrote a review about it in his most recent batch of reviews.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

foray

Thank you for your recommendations and warnings alike. So far I have seen The New World and I love it. My next one is Science of Sleep.

foray
touch me i'm sick