Fav. sports film(huh?)

Started by NEON MERCURY, July 27, 2003, 09:09:19 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenI don't really think of Raging Bull as a boxing movie so much....

But you consider "Field Of Dreams" a baseball movie?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Quote from: ewardsurf ninjas!!!!!!!!!

Oh my fucking god, yes! I used to love that so much, lol! Completely forgot about it. Is it out on dvd? I'll buy it just for nostalgia. Rob Schneider's best role, hands down.

I was so into the nineties ninja family movie craze that is overlooked and  forgotten now unfortunately...it definitely deserves to be revived. I was all about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles trilogy, 3 Ninjas, 3 Ninjas Kick Back and yes, even Surf Ninjas. I guess I was always bound to discover and love Quentin Tarantino and later, the kung fu films of the 70's and 80's.

Alethia

haha i havent seen that in so fucking long.  i used to always rent that and three ninjas when i was younger and watch while stuffing my face.  im gonna have to see it again to bring back memories.

SoNowThen

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: SoNowThenI don't really think of Raging Bull as a boxing movie so much....

But you consider "Field Of Dreams" a baseball movie?

Yeah, I knew you were gonna say that. Crazy.

I almost considered not putting Field on the list... but it's so completely rooted in baseball, whereas Raging Bull has not so much actual boxing, and I find the boxing to be.. I dunno, it's gonna sound snooty... somewhat of a symbol for Jake's need to be punished.... it's so much more of a connecting thread sub-plot... to me anyway. Marty does it so crazy-cool-different that it just becomes way more than sport, imo. This makes no sense, I know.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ernie

Quote from: ewardhaha i havent seen that in so fucking long.  i used to always rent that and three ninjas when i was younger and watch while stuffing my face.  im gonna have to see it again to bring back memories.

Oh my god man, you liked 3 Ninjas too!? Wow, we definitely did grow up in the same era. Lol, I used to cry everytime my video store didn't have it. For some reason, we never thought to buy it...I'd just rent it a million times. The video store guy would always ask us why we didn't just buy it...which I think we finally ended up doing. Were you the other person always getting it out? I always vowed I would kill that person if I ever met them in the video store. Same deal with 3 Ninjas Kick Back after seeing it theatres only once.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenI almost considered not putting Field on the list... but it's so completely rooted in baseball, whereas Raging Bull has not so much actual boxing...

But "Raging Bull" is more of a sports/boxing movie because it's a about the life of a boxer, where as "Field Of Dreams" uses the sport of baseball as a macguffin. In fact, it doesn't even explore the sport or really show scenes of playing the game. You could have replaced the sport with, say, basketball, but I understand it's the nostalgia of that particular sport that comes across. I would've listed it too, but it was already mentioned.

I'm just saying that a lot of these "sports films" are really more about the characters who play them, rather than the actual sport itself. That's why I would include "Raging Bull" along with "Field Of Dreams" on the list.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

the video store man always used to ask my dad why we didn't just buy that, the two ghostbusters movies, and i think probably explorers or something....i used to watch those like it was my fucking job.  i'm too afraid to give any of them a look now becuz i'm afraid I'll ruin everything by seeing just how truly shitty theyre reputed to be.  maybe ill leave em alone just so i can have the memory of them being great, i dont wanna ruin it.  heh, i saw 3 ninjas on TV a few weeks ago and i watched a few minutes of it and i had to turn it off becuz i just knew if i took it any further, all of my good memories would be crushed.

jokerspath

Quote from: ebeaman
Quote from: ewardsurf ninjas!!!!!!!!!
Rob Schneider's best role, hands down.

Sadly, this is possibly true...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Fernando

SoNowThen

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: SoNowThenI almost considered not putting Field on the list... but it's so completely rooted in baseball, whereas Raging Bull has not so much actual boxing...

But "Raging Bull" is more of a sports/boxing movie because it's a about the life of a boxer, where as "Field Of Dreams" uses the sport of baseball as a macguffin. In fact, it doesn't even explore the sport or really show scenes of playing the game. You could have replaced the sport with, say, basketball, but I understand it's the nostalgia of that particular sport that comes across. I would've listed it too, but it was already mentioned.

I'm just saying that a lot of these "sports films" are really more about the characters who play them, rather than the actual sport itself. That's why I would include "Raging Bull" along with "Field Of Dreams" on the list.

Cool. Fair enough. I'll probably opt to take Field Of Dreams off my list though, rather than put Raging Bull on.

Tomato tomah-toe, hehehehe.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

jokerspath

My list (all of these have been said):

Rocky
Rocky II
Caddyshack
Slap Shot
Jerry Maguire
When We Were Kings
Karate Kid
Karate Kid II
Major League
Bend it Like Beckham
The Sandlot
The Great White Hype
Happy Gilmore
Kingpin
Blue Chips
Little Giants
He Got Game

I also thoroughly enjoy the baseball sequences in Naked Gun...

aw

ps-Had to edit HGG onto my list after GB's mention.
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Ghostboy

I saw the first two Three Ninjas, and also Surf Ninjas, but unfortunately I was already slightly past the age where I might have been able to enjoy them. Don't soil your memories.

My favorite sports movie is He Got Game, and if not that then The Sandlot.

Alethia

Quote from: GhostboyI saw the first two Three Ninjas, and also Surf Ninjas, but unfortunately I was already slightly past the age where I might have been able to enjoy them. Don't soil your memories.

My favorite sports movie is He Got Game, and if not that then The Sandlot.

allright, you've convinced me.  i'm not fuckin touching them.

dufresne

There are shadows in life, baby.

Raikus

Someone want to explain why they thought "Any Given Sunday" was good, let alone a defining sports film?

I found it to be long and very, very dull. And considering it dealt with football and the like, that's a feat Stone must have labored on.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.