Night Watch (Nochnoi Dozor)

Started by B.C. Long, April 08, 2005, 09:19:48 PM

B.C. Long

Judging by the trailer, this looks like it's either going to be really good. Or incredibly bad. Some of the slo-mo shots in the trailer are useless. But I think this Russian film is worth checking out. It's suppose to be the first part of a sci-fi horror trilogy.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/night_watch/

Director: Timour Bekmambetov
Screenwriter: Sergei Lukyanenko, Timour Bekmambetov
Starring: Konstantin Khabensky, Vladimir Menshov, Maria Poroshina, Galina Tyunina, Victor Verzhbitsky, Dima Martynov

Details: Set in contemporary Moscow, "Night Watch (Nochnoi Dozor)" revolves around the conflict and balance maintained between the forces of light and darkness -- the result of a medieval truce between the opposing sides. As night falls, the dark forces battle the super-human "Others" of the Night Watch, whose mission is to patrol and protect. But there is constant fear that an ancient prophecy will come true: that a powerful "Other" will rise up, be tempted by one of the sides, and tip the balance plunging the world into a renewed war between the dark and light, the results of which would be catastrophic. "Night Watch (Nochnoi Dozor)" is the first installment of a trilogy based on the best-selling sci-fi novels of Sergei Lukyanenko entitled Night Watch, Day Watch and Dusk Watch.

Brazoliange

I've seen this trailer 4 times in theater now and it gets better with every viewing.

Judging by the trailer this movie is going to kick ass.
Long live the New Flesh

modage

yeah i didnt watch the trailer when you posted it but i caught it the other day on like fox movie channel or something and we were like 'what the fuck is this?'  i will definitely see it.  watch this trailer everyone.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

shit, that is a damn good trailer, especially with m83 "unrecorded" at the end.
under the paving stones.

modage

my only question is: is it an epic horror trilogy? or an epic fantasy trilogy?  :ponder:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Myxo

Looks good. I love that there aren't any big name actors/actresses in this. It gives me hope that the film will rely on storytelling rather than starpower. I have a feeling that one or more of the people involved in this trilogy will end up with a long career as a result.

Quote from: MyxomatosisIt gives me hope that the film will rely on storytelling rather than starpower.

who are your current favorite russian moviestars?
context, context, context.

Myxo

Quote from: cronopio
Quote from: MyxomatosisIt gives me hope that the film will rely on storytelling rather than starpower.

Off the top of my head I don't really know any "movie stars" that are Russian. I'm simply stating that it is rare for a blockbuster (which this looks like it is) to be lacking in any recognizable stars. I really like it.

SiliasRuby

Whoosh! This is gonna be visually awseome. Can't wait till it comes to where I'm at.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pubrick

Quote from: Myxomatosis
Quote from: cronopio

Off the top of my head I don't really know any "movie stars" that are Russian. I'm simply stating that it is rare for a blockbuster (which this looks like it is) to be lacking in any recognizable stars. I really like it.
that's exactly what he means. it's a RUSSIAN blockbuster, so for all u know the cast ARE the most recognizable russian movie stars of the day. thus, the movie could still fail on storytelling.

Quote from: themodernage02my only question is: is it an epic horror trilogy? or an epic fantasy trilogy?  :ponder:
according to the blurb in the first post, it's a sci-fi trilogy. this confusion from the marketing team is a good sign.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

I've been duped by a good trailer many a time. This trailer is fantastic.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Myxo

Quote from: Stefen Posts DrunkerI've been duped by a good trailer many a time. This trailer is fantastic.

Horror movie trailers are really deceiving I think. I've noticed an aweful lot of horror films have great trailers but the film ends up being crappy. I remember loving the trailer for The Grudge. What a shite movie.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: MyxomatosisHorror movie trailers are really deceiving I think. I've noticed an aweful lot of horror films have great trailers but the film ends up being crappy. I remember loving the trailer for The Grudge. What a shite movie.
Well, thank God they didn't use any big name actors/actresses.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

dufresne

Quote from: BrazoliangeI've seen this trailer 4 times in theater now and it gets better with every viewing.

Judging by the trailer this movie is going to kick ass.

wow, i live in L.A. and haven't seen this trailer in any theater.  did you watch it in an art-house cinema there in Omaha?
There are shadows in life, baby.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs