Fantastic 4

Started by Banky, November 14, 2003, 08:32:44 AM

Myxo

I think I'll pass on this movie and wait until it's on TBS in 2 years.

Is anyone going to see it this weekend? I might catch Dark Water instead.

Ravi

Quote from: Myxomatosis
Is anyone going to see it this weekend? I might catch Dark Water instead.

If these are the choices, I'm going to catch NOTHING instead.

Jeremy Blackman

I'm glad I got to see this for free, because it's about ten times worse than everyone was predicting. The worst possible writing and acting you can imagine in perfect combination. I felt like I was watching TV.

Also, not much happens in this movie, especially toward the latter third, where you'd expect them to actually do something significant with their powers. It feels like the screenwriter realized that the movie wasn't working and just stopped writing.

But the most alarming thing about the movie was the makeup toward the beginning. That stuff was caked on.

socketlevel

Quote from: Pwaybloe
Quote from: RegularKarateI remember that a Fantastic Four movie was made a while ago and it was so bad that James Cameron bought the rights just so it wouldn't be released (for awhile, he was gonna do FF, but that was back when he was still kind of cool).  Has anyone seen this?

Yeah, I know what you're talking about.  I've never seen it, but I found some info here

Really, really looking forward to the new one.  But, you gotta admit the 1992 version looks hilarious.

naw this movie was a deliberate tax write off for the studio and they didn't tell any of the cast or crew.  basically they fucked these people over.  it was never intended to be released.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

Quote from: socketlevel
Quote from: RegularKarateI remember that a Fantastic Four movie was made a while ago and it was so bad that James Cameron bought the rights just so it wouldn't be released (for awhile, he was gonna do FF, but that was back when he was still kind of cool).  Has anyone seen this?

Yeah, I know what you're talking about.  I've never seen it, but I found some info here

Really, really looking forward to the new one.  But, you gotta admit the 1992 version looks hilarious.

naw this movie was a deliberate tax write off for the studio and they didn't tell any of the cast or crew.  basically they fucked these people over.  it was never intended to be released.

-sl-

That big ass article I posted explains it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Has anyone actually seen this?

socketlevel

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: socketlevel

-sl-

That big ass article I posted explains it.

that's a white wash.  i don't question your honesty mac, i just think your sources are covering it up.  i talked to a guy at last year's toronto international film fest who worked on it.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Ghostboy

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanHas anyone actually seen this?

Just you....SUCKA!

Oh wait - you were talking about the 92 version, weren't you?

It's all over eBay. I've been meaning to get it for ages, but just...haven't yet.

FUN FACT: The guy that plays Reed Richards also played the young Sean Connery in Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade.

And the story Mac posted did whitewash it completely. Fox was never the distributor of Corman's film. I don't know what ultimately lead to it being shelved, but the only reason Corman made it was because the company that produced it were about to lose the rights. That, and maybe those tax credit rumors, which certainly sound credible.

modage

it has also been long available at every comic convention for the past 10 years in bootleg form.  but i never did get around to seeing the whole thing etiher.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

context, context, context.

nix

I saw it about three years ago.

I remember Jonny Storm discovering his powers by sneezing.

Won't give anymore away, but it's probably more entertaining than the new one. In the same way Billy Blanks movies are more entertaining than Rob Coen films.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: GhostboyOh wait - you were talking about the 92 version, weren't you?
No, no... I was in fact talking about the 2005 version.

Quote from: GhostboyJust you....SUCKA!
I wasted a few hours of my life, true, but not any money. A friend of mine who is a manager at a local Mann theater once in a while invites me to secret midnight premiers. (See my earlyish reviews of Dodgeball and others.) Which means I can post my reaction to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory around 3 AM Friday.

Why do I sound like mutinyco?

Ghostboy

You don't. But I already beat you to the Chocolate Factory review.

Raikus

I bought the Corman version off Ebay a couple of days ago. Our Film Society is going to screen it in two weeks for fun. I think I bought it for 6.95 total. I'll let you guys know if the cheese factor is worth the watch.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 11, 2005, 11:51:13 PM
Has anyone actually seen this?

Alright, so I probably didn't find it as bad as you did. But I will give you that not much happens. It had the makings for a better exploration of the characters learning and dealing with their powers (like the wife leaving The Thing), but it wasn't all there. It would have worked better if the film would have taken the characters more seriously, but no, we get Torch playing the sleep-scratch trick to The Thing so he'll rub shaving cream in his face.

The worst scene was the blind woman telling The Thing about being different.  :yabbse-rolleyes:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks