Logical next step after FvJ

Started by Banky, August 25, 2003, 08:03:11 PM

modage

oh, for 14 year olds who don't know the origins.  (and didn't see FvJ where they were briefed as well).  but i don't see how they're going to get this out in 9 months?  they just got the idea to make this to coincide with the release date and they're just now putting a script into development?  (i'm still seeing this.)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

My guess is, it'll be sort of a remake of the first film, but instead of it ending up being Jason's mom running around killing everyone, it'll be Jason himself, all undeady and super-powered like we now know and love him to be.  The movie will start out with a kid drowning at summer camp, and next thing you know Kane Hodder is popping out of the lake with a speargun.  It could work, but I can't imagine they'll be able to make another Ft13th movie that's as much fun as Jason X was (or with anyone as babelicious as Monica Keena in FvJ).
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Bay revives "Friday" for New Line

Jason is coming back.

Michael Bay and his Platinum Dunes are gearing up to remake "Friday the 13th" for New Line Cinema, from a script by Mark Wheaton.

The "Friday the 13th" series began in 1980, with Sean S. Cunningham directing the first feature, released by Paramount Pictures. After eight films the slasher series, featuring the masked killer Jason Voorhees, moved to New Line, which revived the franchise with "Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday" in 1993.

New Line's most recent installment, "Freddy vs. Jason," in which Voorhees faced off against Freddy Krueger from the "Nightmare on Elm Street" series, was released in 2003, grossing more than $82 million domestically.

Insiders said the producers were hoping to release the movie on Friday, October 13, but it is unlikely that all the pieces will fall into place to make that a reality. No director is attached to the project, and no actors have been cast.

Platinum Dunes produced 2003's "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" remake, which grossed more than $80 million. The company recently wrapped production on the prequel starring Jordana Brewster. The movie will be released October 6.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

REEEEEEEEMAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?!?!?!?!?!

:yabbse-thumbdown: :yabbse-thumbdown: :yabbse-thumbdown: :yabbse-thumbdown: :yabbse-thumbdown: :yabbse-thumbdown: :yabbse-thumbdown: :yabbse-thumbdown: :yabbse-thumbdown: :yabbse-thumbdown: :yabbse-thumbdown: :yabbse-thumbdown: :yabbse-thumbdown: :yabbse-thumbdown: :yabbse-thumbdown:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Seriously though... the first one was NOTHING like the others... why would they be doing that?  It doesn't even really have Jason in it and it's such a generic slasher movie.

weird shit.

modage

maybe its just the phrasing and it wont really be a remake.  atleast thats what i'm hoping, though if that were the case why would bay's company be involved?  and its not like they cant remake it cause its good, because they really all suck but because remakes make me mad.  hopefully we're reading this wrong.

MacGuffin

Jason's Backstory: Dead in the Water

Remember that news we shared a while back about a new Friday the 13th prequel/sequel that was supposed to be rushed through production in time to make an October 13th release date? Well, never mind. It ain't happenin'. Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes shingle has put Jason Jr. on the back burner, for an undisclosed reason, opting to instead focus their energies on ... a remake to The Hitcher. As if writing an original horror movie was impossible.

Fangoria and Bloody-Disgusting have, of course, been covering this flick since it was first announced. The plan was for director Jonathan Liebesman (Darkness Falls) and screenwriter Mark Wheaton to head back in time and build an origin-type story that, I believe, would explain what went down between Friday the 13th and Friday the 13th Part 2. Or maybe it was supposed to be the story of how the Jason the freaky mutant mama-lover ended up drowning in the first place. Normally I'd just sneer at these concepts, but Mr. Wheaton, having proven himself within several genre mags and websites, is clearly a pretty passionate horror geek.

Anyway, plot synopses for movies that don't exist are fairly pointless, but you just know Jason's backstory is going to make for its own flick someday. Just not this October, though, which means the horror geeks will have to be content with the second sequel to Saw, the sequel to the remake of The Grudge, and the prequel to the remake (NOT a remake of the sequel) of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 14, 2006, 11:15:49 AM
and the prequel to the remake (NOT a remake of the sequel)

What is that, a Danny Kaye routine?
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Nispel scores a date with next 'Friday'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Marcus Nispel is in final negotiations to direct the revamp of "Friday the 13th" for New Line and Paramount/MTV. Platinum Dunes is producing.

Damian Shannon and Mark Swift wrote the script for the redo, which aims to bring back horror icon Jason, the unstoppable hockey mask-wearing killer.

While Jason made only a brief appearance in the final frames of the first movie in 1980 and didn't even don his famous mask until the third movie, the new movie will focus on Jason -- who will wear the mask and kill -- and keep the famous setting of Crystal Lake.

Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller of Platinum Dunes are producing.

A winter start date is being planned.

"Friday" reunites Nispel with Platinum Dunes, for whom he directed 2003's remake of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre." The director, who began his career in music videos, also helmed "Pathfinder" and USA's telefilm "Frankenstein."

Skeleton FilmWorks