ELF

Started by Banky, June 22, 2003, 06:16:24 PM

Ghostboy

Quote from: XIXAX

What I want to know is why nobody as mentioned the hilarious midget children's writer. His character and one scene were golden!

Check out The Station Agent (currently expanding to a theater near you). He's the star. And it's a wonderful movie.

cine

Quote from: XIXAXWhat I want to know is why nobody as mentioned the hilarious midget children's writer. His character and one scene were golden!

Quote from: CinephilePeter Dinklage stole the movie with his scene. I won't even get into the joke for the sake of people like RK but that was the funniest scene.

Xixax

...And that's how I missed it the first time.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

cine

Ah, understood. :wink:

Ernie

Where are we finding these "Take Five" articles? I love them, I want to find them all and print them out and read them 50 times. I've tried to google it like 100 times, it never works.

modage

Quote from: ebeamanWhere are we finding these "Take Five" articles? I love them, I want to find them all and print them out and read them 50 times. I've tried to google it like 100 times, it never works.

www.moviefone.com

okay i saw elf finally.  (how old news is that?)  and i liked it, but there were big big problems. i thought the movie was really funny as will ferrell is hilarious.  i also really liked the little touches like the way the north pole was designed and how they had a few little rankin/bass lookin' stop-motion creatures and the sort of fable like quality of the beginning.  the opening credits were also nice.  buuuuut, the movie was actually pretty badly written OR my theory is that it actually does make sense, but there's another 30 minutes of elf out there that gives the characters believable arcs, unfortunately they made the movie too long, and the scenes probably werent as funny.  so in the name of brevity/hilarity they were cut.  i didnt feel like this movie knew what it wanted to be.  i mean, what WAS the main story arc anyway?  the elf adjusting to life in the city and reconciling with his dad?  or getting his mieser father to believe in christmas and be nicer to his son?  or falling in love with zooey?  or saving his fathers company and then saving christmas?  i mean, WHAT THE HELL was going on here?  they were just trying to cram in TOO MANY plot lines.  and the movie suffers heavily for it.  also, the ending finale with the 'rangers' or whatever was pretty bad.  james caan also seemed to be badly miscast.  the role needed someone who 1) could've been more scroogelike, in order to have a better turnaround at the end, 2) could've been a little more i dunno, interesting to watch, and 3) just someone with a little comedic timing so even through the meanness, the part would've been worth watching.  had the part of his dad been played by someone like bill murray, the movie with the rest of its flaws would've been tons better.  but they really didnt spend enough time on ANY of the storylines to make any ONE of the character arcs/relationships very believable.  and above all, somehow the movie, for me, just didnt have that 'christmas spirit' which all great christmas movies must have.  and its hard to describe but you know it if its not there.  hell, even some crappy christmas movies still capture the feeling, but elf misses the mark there.  oh well.  so, some funny moments, but really sloppy thrown-together storytelling from favreau.
also: if that was really zooey singing, she is really good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mister mister

I think you've just expressed what I didn't like about this film.

I don't know what I was expecting, but certainly not a bland, average christmas movie. Maybe it's just that I'm not ten years old anymore.

Just because the movie was aimed at kids, doesn't mean effort couldn't have been made by expanding the characters a little bit more. It was the case of Will Ferrel being the only remotely funny/likeable character and the rest being fill-ins.

When there was a scene with Buddy's dad struggling at work, I just thought "Who cares?". I think the best plot-line to take might have been the whole "save christmas" thing, but even that was a little lame.

The scenes at the north pole, well I found them disturbing, but maybe I'm just a little claustrophobic.  At least it developed a bit of original style there, but sadly didn't follow through. The story was kind of 'wacky' as it was, so why not have the whole movie at the north pole?

Why have to go running to NYC?

mister mister

Hmm, just read over the last few pages of what everyone thought, most people liked it.

And I can see why, I mean I certainly did laugh alot (mostly during ferrel's routines). Maybe it was too American for me, and I couldn't relate.

Another reason may have been that my friends decided to sit 4 rows from the front so I was craning my neck and got the worst view of the picture - I just don't think I was in a good mood for it.

MacGuffin

One of last year's biggest hits, the $176-million grossing comedy Elf will at last hit DVD on November 16th. The latest in New Line Home Entertainment's Infinifilm line, this two-disc set will presented in anamorphic widescreen with DTS and Dolby Digital tracks and plenty of extras. Goodies include separate audio commentary tracks with director Jon Favreau and star Will Ferrell, a subtitle Fact Track, no less than nine making-of featurettes (both "All Access Pass" and Inifinifilm-exclusive "Beyond the Movie" varieties), deleted scenes, a soundtrack music cue index, theatrical trailers, and ROM exclusives including a Script Viewer and more to be announced. Expect a list price of $29.95.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

atleast they have the decency to wait till november, IM TALKING TO YOU BADDER SANTA!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.