Errol Morris

Started by snaporaz, March 04, 2003, 03:01:24 AM

©brad

he gets the dude out of prison and the dude is still not happy? what'd he want, rights to the film's domestic grosses? he should make another docummentary and call it "randall adams can lick my balls."

mutinyco

A really good documentary -- if it can be called that -- is coming out Friday called American Splendor. It mixes live action with documentary footage. One of the best films of the year.

Errol Morris has a pretty cool website. Click below:

http://errolmor.phpwebhosting.com/main.php
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Pubrick

Quote from: mutinycoA really good documentary -- if it can be called that -- is coming out Friday called American Splendor. It mixes live action with documentary footage. One of the best films of the year.
hav u seen this?
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

I saw Errol Morris's new movie 'The Fog Of War' the other night, and it is REALLY good. It's completely subjective...it's like The World According To Robert MacNamara. You come out of it very much in admiration of the man...if I had been alive in the sixties, I'd have disliked him as much as I dislike Rumsfeld today, but the movie, in a way, is all about hindsight, and MacNamara is quick to point out that he understands his mistakes in full. He doesn't apologize for them, necessarily, but it turns out that he doesn't really need to.

I highly recommend it.

mutinyco

Yeah, I saw it at the NYFF. I got some good pics of Morris afterward.

http://movienavigator.org/day8.htm
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Weak2ndAct

Awesome, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who's seen it:
http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=4121

I still can't get over those LBJ tapes.  

Cool tidbit: I have a friend who works often for Morris and was on that movie. He got a neat little movie prop/memento for our apartment.  On the bookshelf in the living room are a couple of the over-sized dominoes that fall (including the final one that lands w/ a thud-- he specifically made sure to get that one).

Find Your Magali

I can't wait for this! Morris rules!

I'm sure it'll never come to a theatre in my town, though, so I'll likely have to wait for the DVD.

Maybe it'll come in a groovy DVD box set along with the long-awaited DVD versions of Gates of Heaven; Vernon, Florida; and The Thin Blue Line.

Weak2ndAct

Mag--
You might get to see it.  It's going to open wide at the very end of the year/beginning of next.  Supposedly, it's going to be the widest release ever for a Morris movie, and Sony's going to really push to get him the Oscar.

Last I heard, IFC picked up the rights to VF, GoH, and TBL.  I believe they're planning a dvd release some time down the road.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Weak2ndActMag--
You might get to see it.  It's going to open wide at the very end of the year/beginning of next.  Supposedly, it's going to be the widest release ever for a Morris movie, and Sony's going to really push to get him the Oscar.

Last I heard, IFC picked up the rights to VF, GoH, and TBL.  I believe they're planning a dvd release some time down the road.

Great news on both counts! It would be great to see Morris get an Oscar.

I'd love to see some great special editions on those DVDs (can we dream of commentaries?), but I would definitely just settle for remastered transfers and being able to upgrade from my VHS copies.

mutinyco

Should be interesting if Sony pulls off the Oscar win. I think the Academy has had something against Morris in the past. But this year his film is very socially conscious and the liberals could use the film to make a statement.

-St. Joe

Find Your Magali

MGM's catalog dump .... on July 26 are the Errol Morris documentaries Gates of Heaven, The Thin Blue Line, and Vernon Florida, while Errol Morris: First Person: The Complete Series will arrive on the same day, as will an Errol Morris DVD Collection.

YES!!!!!

Find Your Magali

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Did this sets just come out or are they coming out soon?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Find Your Magali

They're all out on July 26. Both box sets, and standalone discs of the documentaries.

Ravi

Wow, that's great.  I need to watch more Errol Morris.