random stuff

Started by pete, April 25, 2004, 12:25:47 AM

pete

my friend kelly.
I got a Canon 60D and a 50mm lens.  So I've been shooting stuff.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

I Love a Magician

looks and sounds awesome. do any post tweaking of the colors etc?

edit: see that you answered that question earlier BUT it'd be cool of you to go into a bit more detail like maybe a little before/after

pete

yeah, the canon cameras like to give a red hue to everything, so alls I did was take it out.
the magicbullet plugin is a time saver if you have proper exposure - it automatically cools the shadow, bumps the highlight, preserves the skintone, and crushes the black for you, with a host of little tweaks.
- Buster Keaton

I Love a Magician

awesome. how does it compare to apple's Color program?

pete

well color is a real color correction program that's independent of FCP.  what I used was just a filter that gives everything a nice look, with about a dozen or so presents that I could play around with.
I also use something called Colorista II, by the magicbullet people (it's because my mentor is the program's creator and the company's consultant) for color correction and I like that one a lot.  it's got an intuitive interface and it's fun to play with.  but again, there are guys on this board who are much better at that stuff - like Redlum.
- Buster Keaton

diggler

just bought a Canon 5D. shot this video of my friend playing acoustic guitar in a stairwell.

I edited in Premiere with some minor color correction using Magic Bullet. Colorista is indeed really handy but it doesn't always achieve what you're looking for. In this case it seemed to work okay. Also, as Pete mentioned above, the Canons always seem to fade to the red side (one of the major ways the LCD viewfinder lies to you, another one is ISO noise) so when you use Colorista to color correct you sometimes lose a little brightness and detail.

I used to be a FCP guy but CS5 works better with DSLR footage so I made the switch. the audio was recorded with two condenser mics, which I synced with an additional shotgun mic on the camera.  the lens was 24-70, except for one outside shot with an 85.

the 5D is rad, can't recommend it enough.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

pete

this is a raw, unprocessed and unedited footage of an encore encore performance on sat night. the band was pretty exhausted and already did on encore set, but I jumped on stage at the end and tried to get some Otis Redding-at-Monterey-esque shots from behind the girl's head. I liked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4WuaB8SaAc&feature=player_embedded
- Buster Keaton

pete

three things for ya - first is me singing "take me home country road" with a fiddler playing a beautiful arrangement of the piece. audio's ok - there was a drunk pool table next to that little german bar.

next is my gorgeous friend Wolf Larsen singing in my kitchen

then i did a portrait of my wushu master; a world-class martial artist:
- Buster Keaton

pete

I shot a girl and her band, Ezza Rose

http://vimeo.com/24682992
- Buster Keaton

pete

ok another one, this a lesbian homegirl Steph and her fiddler
I liked the light

- Buster Keaton

squints

I wish the band was called "Lesbian Homegirl"
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

pete

- Buster Keaton

pete

- Buster Keaton

pete

- Buster Keaton

pete

two videos...

one is for a Portland-based duo called John Heart Jackie, filmed at an antique piano shop:

the other is with a cello quartet called North Sky Cello Ensemble, featuring Brian Chase, the drummer from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs:

- Buster Keaton