What's up with Soderbergh

Started by Recce, February 05, 2003, 11:36:14 PM

Cecil

Quote from: RecceFor what possible reason would he keep a shot out of focus for like 5 minutes (exageratting) other then to piss of the audience (in the bad way) as Cecil B. Demented stated in an earlier post.

whats pissing off the audience in a bad way and whats pissing off the audience in a good way?

Recce

well, you can piss off the audience in the hopes of getting them more caught up in the story or get them pissed off becasue of what you're trying to say, but if it jsut pissed people and they start thinking about how annoying it is, that's not cool.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Cecil

Quote from: Reccebut if it jsut pissed people and they start thinking about how annoying it is, that's not cool.

i disagree. i think its kinda cool when watching a movie to be "annoyed" by disorienting cinematography and such, and i dont think im the only one too.

Recce

Quotei disagree. i think its kinda cool when watching a movie to be "annoyed" by disorienting cinematography and such, and i dont think im the only one too.

Well, yeah, in some cases it's ok to be annoyed by the style of a film, but only when the directors point is to draw attention to the style. When he or she wants you to constantly fall out of the story and think about the actual production. But I don't think that's what Soderbergh wants. Consequently, he's jsut pissing people off in the bad way (or at least me).
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

MacGuffin

Hollywood heartthrob George Clooney launched an angry tirade against a journalist at the Berlin Film Festival - after he described the star's latest film Solaris as "boring." The sexy actor was left furious after the Turkish journalist remarked on the Steven Soderbergh film at a news conference on Saturday night. Clooney blasted, "I find you fascinating. You crack me up, man. You just wanted to get up and be a rat, you know that? You just wanted to get up and say something rotten. What a jerk! I mean honestly, you know, what a s**t thing to say! You make a lot of films, do you? You make a lot of films yourself? Yeah, I'd like to see you make a film first before you get to talk about it. What a jerk!" Solaris opened in America to mixed reviews and has performed badly at the box office, however the Ocean's Eleven star remains impressed by the work. When the same journalist asked if he was happy with the film, he replied, "Yes I am. And thanks for the question."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

bah, after seeing midnight express, i wouldnt take what the turkish have to say very seriously

Newtron

Quote from: cecil b. dementedbah, after seeing midnight express, i wouldnt take what the turkish have to say very seriously
Quote from: cecil b. dementednot because im racist (by all means im not)

I don't even care. There's easy ways to make fun of Turkey, and vague references to a film with a gay sex scene isn't one of them.

©brad

Quote from: MacGuffinHollywood heartthrob George Clooney launched an angry tirade against a journalist at the Berlin Film Festival - after he described the star's latest film Solaris as "boring." The sexy actor was left furious after the Turkish journalist remarked on the Steven Soderbergh film at a news conference on Saturday night. Clooney blasted, "I find you fascinating. You crack me up, man. You just wanted to get up and be a rat, you know that? You just wanted to get up and say something rotten. What a jerk! I mean honestly, you know, what a s**t thing to say! You make a lot of films, do you? You make a lot of films yourself? Yeah, I'd like to see you make a film first before you get to talk about it. What a jerk!" Solaris opened in America to mixed reviews and has performed badly at the box office, however the Ocean's Eleven star remains impressed by the work. When the same journalist asked if he was happy with the film, he replied, "Yes I am. And thanks for the question."

George should've beat the shit out of him.

Cecil

Quote from: Newtron
I don't even care. There's easy ways to make fun of Turkey, and vague references to a film with a gay sex scene isn't one of them.

i was talking about the violence.

why did you assume it was the gay sex?

MacGuffin

Anybody else having problems with the "Full Frontal" DVD? Usually a DVD has one dual layer change that causes the slight pause, but I swear mine  has done it about 5 times or so. Anybody else encountering this or is it just a defective DVD?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Quote from: MacGuffinAnybody else having problems with the "Full Frontal" DVD? Usually a DVD has one dual layer change that causes the slight pause, but I swear mine  has done it about 5 times or so. Anybody else encountering this or is it just a defective DVD?

Maybe its your DVD player then, no probs here

MacGuffin

Quote from: Duck SauceMaybe its your DVD player then, no probs here

Player works fine with other DVDs I play. Must be the disc; I'll exchange it. Thanks for the confirmation.

Skeleton FilmWorks