Animation

Started by kotte, November 23, 2003, 05:24:54 PM

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: zerocool41i'm assuming cartooning is an art that can be learned.  :)

I think you're supposed to have some inborn talent as well...

zerocool41

ok...maya costs 7k, flash costs 400.....can i make something similar to southpark with flash?  I'm guessing maya is for pixar types of animation mainly and that's why the high cost...anyone know?
I'm going to lay down a monster hand here.

kotte

you can do "southpark" with flash. Maya is used cause it's an industry standard and it's faster.

zerocool41

so...what can't i do with flash?  

as far as an animated film is concerned, what are my limitations in this program that this 7thousand dollar maya program allows me to do..

kotte

flash doesn't really let you do 3d if you know what I mean. Maya is one of the most powerful 3d animation application out there.
Can't name any but several if not most of the animated festures are done with maya.

Redlum

3d Studio Max - Lost in Space
Maya - Stuart Little
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

zerocool41

flash - family guy?

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Link

I just started trying to make a short animated movie on Flash.  I'm digging the program (though due to time restraints [I'm trying to finish the movie by the 31st and I started the other day], the movie's short and kinda sucks).  But it's fun to mess with and I've got a lot of props for animators now.

booji_boy

It's much better to export te .swf from flash, and convert it into a video file with a program made to do so. For some reason , macromedia gave the program a very bad exporter, which ignores any alphas, or movie clips, etc. Flashants has a great program, that can put flash into nearly any video format, and still maintain the original animation's properties. A popular animation style right now is cell shading, where a 3d object is coloured to look like a 2d cartoon. I can't think of a specific example off the top of my head, but there are lots.
Duty Now For The Future!

Link

Legen of Zelda: Windwaker and Jet Grind Radio are examples of that, for those who play the video games.

Jeremy Blackman

If Sphinx had a Mac, he would use iDraw.

It's really a beautiful thing, and I just realized it exists.