Anyone have experience with Media 100's?

Started by Raikus, June 09, 2003, 01:24:44 PM

Raikus

I'm researching to buy a Media 100 and having a hard time getting even the basic information. Their site is very uninformative. For instance, you still have to buy a Mac independent of the Media 100, correct?

Is it even worth it? Should I just buy a Mac (as, I guess, I'm going to have to do anyway) and just supe it up with Final Cut Pro?

This isn't personal use. This is for the Agency I'm with so economic value isn't a finite thing. I just want what will work the best with the least amount of hassle.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: RaikusI'm researching to buy a Media 100 and having a hard time getting even the basic information. Their site is very uninformative. For instance, you still have to buy a Mac independent of the Media 100, correct?

Is it even worth it? Should I just buy a Mac (as, I guess, I'm going to have to do anyway) and just supe it up with Final Cut Pro?

This isn't personal use. This is for the Agency I'm with so economic value isn't a finite thing. I just want what will work the best with the least amount of hassle.

I was trying to read up on Media 100's as I have never used them.  But from what I gathered they seem fantastic, just kinda expensive.  And to get the full effects there seems to be a lot of add-on's you need to buy too.  Shit, it looks sweet, but in reality, Final Cut is getting pretty damn good too.  Media 100's biggest advantage is the rendering, there is none, never, at all....Final Cut though has also tried to help render time disappear too.  My opinion....cause yes, you would need a Mac either way....I would just get a souped-up G4, Cinema Screen (or Dual Monitor), Final Cut....and then in the money you saved by not getting the Media 100, put that towards the camera and the sound.....or any other actual production assets....

Johnny Cusavo

I worked with a media 100 for the past three years at a Public access Station. I find it to be a relatively easy to use Cut and Paste type Online editing program. The features on it are decent. Probably not as good as Final Cut Pro 4 though. I think I'm using the latest version of Media 100 out there.  You really do need a powerful G4 to run it. That new G5 with the Dual processor looks like it will take full advantage of any Editing Program your using. Stay away from apple i-Movie.. it's a step way down, down, down.. for professional usage.
With the Media 100 you can export to a Digital format through Quicktime. Burn it to a CD or DVD but haven't fooled around with DVD yet. Still stuck on crappy analog tapes for dubbing..ugg.
You can import music.. AIFF is only acceptible format it will convert to. The longest thing I've edited on it is a 50 minute short and that really fills up your whole system so you need to back-up everything to be sure you lose nothing. I use a Digital S deck for that.. Which puts it on to tape for re-capturing or dubbing. Or external hard-drives for Back-up. This is how I've been able to work on personal projects for the past three years.
Can't say I know everything about Media 100 so you should try and get some hand's on knowledge with it.. But I hope what my experience has been will help you in your decision and your company's.  
But It wouldn't be fair to give a comparison between Media 100 to the Final Cut Pro or Avid without having any experience on the later yet. At this point in time I don't know how long Media 100 will be on the market..
The features with color-correction, fire-wire, and 24p, that Final cut and avid have adapted just out-due Media 100.. and I personally plan to head in the direction of those systems as an editor.. I think I got as much out of the Media 100 as I could.
Check out that new Eminem DVD.. Live in Europe.. they cut it on Media 100.. a definite shocker.

jasper_window

If money isn't an issue I'd go with an Avid.  I cut on media Composer, Symphony and Express with the company I work for and they're swweeeet.  I know a guy who worked on a Media 100 and he liked it okay, but he ended up getting an Avid and he liked it much better.  But obviosuly everyone raves about FCP also.  I'd go with FCp or Avid over Media 100

mutinyco

I've worked on Avid and Final Cut. I have no real preference. They both work. Final Cut is simpler, more intuitive. Avid was built over the years adding onto archaic programs, so it takes a while to get used to it.

Overall, Avid is like driving a Bentley and Final Cut is like a Benz. They'll both get you where you need to go -- Avid just has more bells and whistles.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

mutinyco

Honestly, if you have no experience and you're trying to figure out what to do...get a Mac with Final Cut. Best place to begin.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Sal

Quote from: mutinycoI've worked on Avid and Final Cut. I have no real preference. They both work. Final Cut is simpler, more intuitive. Avid was built over the years adding onto archaic programs, so it takes a while to get used to it.

Overall, Avid is like driving a Bentley and Final Cut is like a Benz. They'll both get you where you need to go -- Avid just has more bells and whistles.

What bells and whistles?  Transitional, and/or audio?  Far as I know the only difference between Avid and Final Cut are the keystrokes for commands.

mutinyco

The software alone costs $30,000 for an Avid Symphony. If you're talking Avid DV Express perhaps that's comparable. Final Cut is still cheaper than DV Express.

-St. Joe

Sal

Quote from: mutinycoThe software alone costs $30,000 for an Avid Symphony. If you're talking Avid DV Express perhaps that's comparable. Final Cut is still cheaper than DV Express.

Yes, I'm comparing Express and Final Cut.  I didn't think they had any differences, save keys...

mutinyco

-St. Joe