Kill Bill: Volume One On DVD April 13th

Started by modage, November 13, 2003, 10:49:06 PM

pete

one arm with the hand missing I think.  I saw that at the testscreening (best screening!)
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

rustinglass

So how does the story go? If he makes the film with vernita's daughter, will she have minus left arm and right hand? what else was cut off?
Now I'm pissed off, he could have let that in! what would be the big deal?it's not like we didn't see her cut the entire left arm in a real unexpected way before in the film.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

cine

I don't get it. Why are we complaining about Sophie's arm?

rustinglass

well....  But the gore looks much cooler in colour.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Alethia

ummmm i dont think the crazy 88 sequence would have been that bad if it was in color, i do think we americans could handle it....

Sleuth

I thought they were androids that bled milk until now
I like to hug dogs

SiliasRuby

I moved this specific Kill Bill Post over to the Super bonus Special Edition Thread in DVD Talk
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Ravi

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_8/killbillv1.html

Video: How Does The Disc Look?

The film's theatrical aspect ratio of 2.35:1 is presented in anamorphic video. I'm a little disappointed with this presentation. On a large screen, the images are noticeably soft. Perhaps the video was low passed to reduce the bit budget; since so many scenes are quite frenetic, the film may have offered few opportunities for the MPEG-2 compression engine to find duplicate data. Modest halos are also present, but only intrude at high contrast boundaries; they appear to be of low amplitude and frequency. Tarantino seems to enjoy bright splashes of color, from a garish yellow and red truck to the neon lights of nighttime Tokyo. Such colors are vivid, noise free, and without a hint of smearing. Skin tones are very natural and the copious buckets of blood are convincingly red.  Nighttime scenes, such as the confrontation between The Bride and O-Ren Ishii, feature outstanding shadow detail. With the exception of the halos, I did not notice any compression artifacts.

Audio: How Does The Disc Sound?

There are two 5.1 tracks on this DVD: Dolby Digital and DTS. Each offers ingeniously active surround channels, from the splatter of blood on walls to a mosquito in flight. This is a soundtrack with wit. EX decoding will enhance the experience. Exceptionally deep bass may be heard mostly from the musical source elements. The fidelity of the sound effects varies. I suspect that Tarantino may have borrowed a few sounds from the older genre films he admires so much - that he begins the film with an old Shaw Scope title card and music is a broad hint - but those sound effects that were recorded specifically for the film are conveyed with crystal clarity. In fact, it's the sound of a Samurai sword slowly pulled from its sheath that provides the best clue that the DTS track has a more persuasive timbre. The sound can be described as the delicate scraping of a small bell, and that sound is more transparent in DTS. Dialog remains clear and clean throughout, but I do have a complaint about Thurman's voiceover. The equalization emphasizes the upper bass a bit too much, imparting an unpleasant boominess to her voice that destroys the illusion of in-the-room.

The alternative language track is in French. Subtitles are available in English dedicated to translating the spoken Japanese (the default), English for the hearing impaired, Spanish, Japanese, Korean and Traditional Chinese (but with no indication of which dialect). English Closed Captions are also included.

The Disco Kid

Yeah, I havent seen the DVD of Kill Bill Vol 1 yet, but I hope that they reinserted the color into the crazy 88 scene. In the theater I found that scene to be a severe detriment to the film as a whole because the abrupt shift to BW took me completely out of the movie. You cant have a series of scenes with hyper-saturated colors( Uma's lemon yellow suit, red red blood, blue green water, etc) then suddenly shift to BW! The BW seems almost invisible in contrast! Its like eating half a jar of
five-alarm salsa then eating saltine crackers. You wont be able to taste them. The scene is utter failure.

Alethia

i thought it was funny actually...i enjoyed it quite a bit

rustinglass

I'm downloading the japanese dvdrip, I hope the colour is reinserted for the two volumes boxed set.
-Emir Kusturica

Pedro

i think that the black and white part of the crazy 88 sequence made it more interesting to watch...it kept new things happening

rustinglass

I just saw that scene in colour and it's -believe it or not- even more awesome! not only did they pu it in black an white, but they cut some great shots too. like the bride doing some crouching tiger-type flying, and the blood is as red as the devil himself, but one or two times they bleed water... :shock:  but it's very quick. the whole thing vibrates much much more!
-Emir Kusturica