Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

Pozer

tpfkabi

did you post that once, delete it, and then repost?

i could have sworn i clicked on it and you had an emoticon hugging or patting another emoticon on the back or something.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Low-carbon Radiohead take high-energy rock on the road

British art rockers Radiohead bring their environmental message to continental Europe on Monday with a series of low-carbon but sold-out shows to promote their new album, In Rainbows.

After breaking all the music industry's rules by giving away their seventh studio album for as much or as little as fans wanted to pay for it, the five-piece band from Oxford have decided their latest tour will also set new standards in green awareness.

Iconic singer Thom Yorke and his bandmates have teamed up with environmental group Friends of the Earth to reduce their carbon footprint and encourage their legions of followers to get behind a campaign to cut greenhouse gas emissions in Europe.

Last year, the group employed carbon analysts to assess the impact of their tours and decided the next one would set an example in an industry famed for its conspicuous consumption.

Friends of the Earth says the group has minimised its carbon pollution by "using energy efficient lighting, transporting equipment by train or boat rather than by plane and by using recyclable materials."

Radiohead, one of the most respected and popular rock bands in the world, has also encouraged fans to travel to shows by public transport or in shared cars and city-centre concert venues have been chosen to reduce driving.

The world tour began in the United States a month ago and the Europe leg began in Dublin on Friday. The band give their first of five concerts in France on Monday before travelling to Britain, Germany, Italy, Spain over the summer. They travel to Japan for four dates in October.

Yorke helped launch a campaign by Friends of the Earth called "The Big Ask" in Brussels in February which aims to put pressure on politicians to agree to a reduction in carbon emissions in Europe. The campaign is also being promoted at the concerts.

Not content with pressuring fans and setting an example to other energy-guzzling bands, the tour is also being used as a media education programme.

For the concerts in France, the band's record label Beggars offered only 50 places for the first concert on Monday night to journalists and gave them away on a first-come-first-served basis to the first reporters that presented themselves -- on bikes -- at the label's Parisian headquarters.

After ending their deal with record label major EMI last year, Radiohead decided to release In Rainbows on their website in October, allowing fans to set their own price for the music and demanding nothing more than a minimal administration charge.

The release was entirely unexpected and came only days after the final version was recorded and mastered in the studio. Demand crashed the band's server on the first day and they were forced to buy another one to satisfy the number of requests.

The group has never said how many downloads were made or the revenues, but a British newspaper reported afterwards that a survey of 3,000 buyers revealed the average amount paid was four pounds (five euros, eight dollars) and a third opted to pay nothing.

Since then, after generating a media blitz with the innovative venture, the free downloads have ended and hard copies of the album on CD and vinyl have entered the customary distribution channels.

Beggars estimates that 100,000 albums have been sold in France alone.

Comprising singer Thom Yorke and bandmates Jonny Greenwood, Colin Greenwood, Ed O'Brien and Phil Selway, the band burst into the limelight in 1993 with their debut album Pablo Honey which generated their first international hit Creep.

After this, they released The Bends in 1995, the superlative OK Computer in 1997, experimental rock-electro albums Kid A and Amnesiac in 2000 and 2001 and Hail to the Thief in 2003.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

oh man, the Pop is Dead video...... :rofl:

i wish they'd release more footage from when they filmed 2 + 2 = 5 live.

they did say they were going to release that big Bonaroo show from a couple of years ago though.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Radiohead's 'House Of Cards' Video: The Future Or Scrambled Skinemax, In Bigger Than The Sound
While the clip is meant to be futuristic, it has our writer recalling the past.
Source: MTV

By now, you've probably seen Radiohead's new , which premiered earlier this week on Google. Or, rather, you've probably experienced it, since it was made entirely with lasers and fractals and math and stuff. As the folks at Idolator.com astutely put it, the video "will look so awesome on the ceiling of your local planetarium."

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, well, it's the future (duh!). The video was made entirely without a camera, using instead a pair of technologies — Geometric Informatics and Velodyne Lidar — that sound like a class I never took in college and a luchador, respectively.

According to Radiohead's publicist, the technologies do the following: "The Geometric Informatics scanning system employs structured light to capture detailed 3-D images at close proximity and was used to render the performances of Radiohead's Thom Yorke, the female lead and several partygoers. The Velodyne Lidar system uses multiple lasers to capture large environments in 3-D, in this case 64 lasers rotating and shooting in a 360-degree radius 900 times per minute, capturing all of the exterior scenes and wide party shots."

Oh, and here I thought it was complicated. Since this is the future and all, you're probably wondering just why Radiohead decided to eschew something as essential as a camera for their new video. Surely there was some grand, postmillennial statement behind all this, right? Perhaps camera tubes are bad for the environment, or maybe Radiohead are just big fans of rotating lasers (who isn't?). Well, no, actually. The point is much simpler than any of those things: There is no point.

This is because Radiohead don't have "a point" anymore. They don't need one. They release their albums via the Internet, name their songs stuff like "Faust Arp," and make New Year's Eve webcasts that feature them running around the English countryside in ski masks (webcasts that subsequently air on Al Gore's television network, btw). They long ago ceased making sense and now do whatever they want, whenever they want, which is about the only explanation I can muster for their latest endeavor.

Actually, that's not true. Andrew Ross Rowe, an associate producer here at MTV News and a man far more intelligent than I, explained to me that the "Cards" clip could actually be Radiohead's loving acknowledgement to the Grid, the high-speed super-Internet currently being developed by scientists at CERN, a particle physics laboratory in Geneva, Switzerland. His explanation had something to do with "laser projections" and the like and how the Grid will make rendering 3-D something-or-other a possibility in the very near future. (I didn't really understand all that well. I just sort of smiled and nodded.)

But if that's really the case, then I think I dislike the "House of Cards" video even more. Because, really, no matter how many lasers they used to make it, no matter how harbinger-y or representative it may be, it's still pretty lousy. The lasers (or maybe the Velodynes) make the thing all murky, squiggly and, most of all, rather boring — a total triumph in technology, but a decidedly underwhelming experience for the viewer. I am qualified to tell you this, of course, not because I am a particle physicist or anything like that, but rather because I am both a panelist on a Friday night television program that plays music videos and a guy who has uttered the phrase "Dark Side of the Moon Laser Light Show" more times than he cares to admit.

It's neither a particularly cool video nor a sweet (soul-altering) laser-light experience, and to be honest, even though I am very sure that "House of Cards" is a glimpse into the future, when I watch it, I can think of nothing but the past — more specifically, my past, as a scrawny 13-year-old straining to catch a glimpse of a stray breast during a scrambled Skinemax movie. And I think that's the best way to describe "House of Cards": It makes me feel like I'm watching a wavy Shannon Tweed flick and praying my parents don't wake up. I am 29 years old. They used lasers and vectors to make this. Welcome to the future.

And yes, I realize I am being rather hard on Radiohead. This is tough for me, because I do love them. But it's just that, at some point, they sort of veered directly into Spinal Tap territory, and this video isn't helping matters any ("Let's make a video — without the video part!"). Then again, what do I know? I never even heard of the Grid until Tuesday afternoon. Soon, when the robots take over, I will most certainly be sent to work in the salt mines. Everything in its right place.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

#1 youtube video right now.

squints

It looks cool. But its a pretty boring video.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

cinemanarchist

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QIAUQM58
Radiohead's Lollapalooza 08 set. Sound quality is pretty solid but the performance is a little so-so.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

hedwig

john

This has probably been discussed pages and years ago but...

I just downloaded Kid 17, Kid A played from two seperate sources with a 17 second gap between them, and it's a real fucking pleasure.

Made me get back into Kid A... which I don't think I've listened to, at length, for a while.

That seventeen second gap, though... strange how something so simple and dischorant can work so well.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

cinemanarchist

hxxp://rapidshare.com/files/43874769/radiohead_17.zip

A link for anyone wanting to check out Kid 17...I had not heard of it before john's post but I'm listening to it right now with a big stupid grin on my face.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

jtm

finally seeing my fav band next week (the 22nd)... i can't fucking wait!!!

and Beck opens up. that;s just an added bonus.

Pozer

where they'll be the first band to play GGpark at night, right?

jtm

Quote from: Pozer on August 15, 2008, 11:29:09 AM
where they'll be the first band to play GGpark at night, right?

that's the one... and i wasn't even aware they were the fist band to play there at night until you said so... that's just makes it more exciting. thanks for telling me so!

MacGuffin

My friends, it was a concert a long time coming... and it was well worth the wait. It was AWESOME. Thom and the boys sounded perfect. The light poles were facinating to watch, especially during Nat. Anthem and Everything/Place. Best performances were Exit Music and Jigsaw, and Street Spirit only because Thom "fuck"ed up and did a 'do over'. Can't wait to see it all again tomorrow.

Set List

15 Step
There There
Morning Bell
All I Need
Pyramid Song
Nude
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
The Gloaming
The National Anthem
A Wolf At The Door
Faust Arp
Exit Music (For A Film)
Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Idiotique
Climbing Up The Walls
Bodysnatchers
How To Disappear Completely

Encore #1

Videotape
Paranoid Android
Dollars & Cents
Street Spirit (Fade Out)
Reckoner

Encore #2

House of Cards
Lucky
Everything In It's Right Place

Skeleton FilmWorks