Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

Pubrick

he's so close to coming back with this one.

H.(sparro)W.

H.(acksparro)W.

H(acksparro)W

HacksparroW

Stefen

so close.
under the paving stones.

picolas

i fully support sparrow's decision to be a name-shifter.

grand theft sparrow

MacGuffin

Radiohead seek to reduce global impact
Source: Guardian Unlimited

Few bands have done much beyond the odd spot of carbon offsetting to address their carbon footprint. Radiohead, however, have already suggested that they might quit touring altogether in the interests of the planet and are making a serious attempt to at least lessen their emissions.

Writing on the band's blog, Colin Greenwood has shared the results of a study carried out by Best Foot Forward on the band's behalf. Amongst the more interesting statistics is the discovery that comparing the band and fans' share of the total CO2 output, moving from smaller to amphitheatre venues shifts the fans share from 86% to 97% of total emissions.

Radiohead are pledging to ensure that future gigs are held in city centres, to improve use of more efficient transport links, and to reduce reliance on flights. They're asking fans to cut the amount of flights they take to gigs, and to try raising average car occupancy to three per vehicle from the current 2.2.

Greenwood accepts this isn't an answer in itself: "We're aware that this study is tentative and partial, but it's a start", he concludes.

And in another not totally unrelated piece of Radiohead news, the band's In Rainbows album will hit shelves without the traditional jewel shell casing. The plastic cover has been abandoned in favour of a carbon footprint reducing paper product package, which will also feature stickers! Another revolutionary tactic from the band. Albeit on a much smaller scale than their free-for-all release of the album earlier this year.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

i got mine Friday.

too early to speak of disc 2.

my only complaint so far is the felt(?) holders for the cd's.
once i took them out, i couldn't get them to stay back in.

another minor complaint is the lyrics being connected to the packaging - it was the same with the HTTT special edition. i like them to be seperate so i can take them to the john or something to read them.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Got mine today. It's Beautifus!

I guess I have the DVD mentality when I hear box set to mean a box, but this is like a gorgeous album-sided scrapbook; similiar to how some special edition laserdiscs were packaged.

It's like hearing the album fresh all over again.

Quote from: bigideas on December 22, 2007, 02:45:40 PMmy only complaint so far is the felt(?) holders for the cd's.
once i took them out, i couldn't get them to stay back in.

Same here. You have to somehow pinch the inner circles to get the CDs to stay.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Source: MTV

Radiohead and Al Gore, a match made in heaven? The band has taped an hour-long performance of In Rainbows and other material that will air Tuesday exclusively in the U.S. on Current TV, which was co-created by the Nobel Peace Prize winner. The pre-recorded performance will air commercial-free at midnight, 1 a.m., 8 a.m. and 9 p.m., with Current.com also broadcasting it at 12 a.m.

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

what a deceptive opening line.

MacGuffin

EMI accuses Radiohead after group's demands for more fell on deaf ears
Source: Adam Sherwin, The Times UK

Radiohead walked out of EMI in the autumn after Guy Hands, the group's new boss, rejected a deal with the top-selling rock band that would have cost the record company more than £10 million, The Times has learnt.

The massive demand is far greater than had been thought. The critically acclaimed band had been offered a £3 million advance by Mr Hands for their latest album, but wanted more.

An EMI spokesman said last night: "Radiohead were demanding an extraordinary amount of money and we did not believe that our other artists should have to subsidise their gains."

The band's management hit back, saying that it believed that more high-profile artists could abandon EMI. It accused Mr Hands of not negotiating seriously.

Radiohead wanted EMI to hand over at least some of the copyrights to their catalogue of albums such as OK Computer, a demand that would have devalued EMI's recorded music catalogue and cost the British music major millions in future earnings.

Giving Radiohead the rights to their last two albums would have presented EMI with a £4 million loss. It is believed that the band was also seeking a guaranteed £3 million EMI budget on international marketing for the new album, although their management does not accept this figure.

Guy Hands's brief personal negotiations with Radiohead's management came in the first weeks after Terra Firma, his private equity firm, took over EMI in a £2.1 billion deal.

Bryce Edge, Radiohead manager, told The Times: "We couldn't move ahead with EMI because Guy Hands irrevocably refused to discuss the catalogue in any meaningful way. We sold 25 million records and we have the moral rights over those six albums. We wanted a say in how they are exploited in the future. We were not seeking a big advance payment, or a guaranteed marketing spend as discussions never got that far."

Mr Edge hinted that more big names were set to leave EMI. Artists are upset that record companies still deduct "packaging costs" from royalty payments on digital downloads, which require no packaging.

Radiohead declined further discussions when their demand for control over their back catalogue was rebuffed. The six albums cannot be prised from EMI's control for the 50-year period allowed by copyright law.

When the talks foundered, Radiohead released their new album In Rainbows as a "pay-what-you-like" download, an offer taken up by about one million fans. That experiment has ceased and on Monday the album will be released conventionally as a CD through XL, an independent label.

Radiohead's original EMI contract also had no facility for digital sales, so it would not receive royalties through sales from the iTunes store. "It's no surprise that artists are throwing their arms up in the air," Mr Edge said.

Radiohead are charging £42.50 for next year's UK tour, more than Prince's shows at the O2 arena in London. Mr Edge said: "We don't want to go on tour and lose money. It is expensive to put on the quality [of] show people expect. It is a comparable price to artists of a similar stature."

Mr Hands has circulated a letter to EMI artists, which include Robbie Williams, Kylie Minogue, Coldplay and Gorillaz, to reassure them. He wrote: "We really value the collaborative relationship you have with the many EMI staff globally, who work on your projects."

Terra Firma believes that it can find more than £100 million of annual savings from cutting inefficiences that existed under the previous management, led by Eric Nicoli.

Mr Hands hopes to appoint a new chief executive by the end of January. Terra Firma is believed to be contemplating a sale of EMI in 2012, which would value it at £9.4 billion.

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

about Disc 2:

they really sterilized Up on the Ladder.
at first i didn't know what to think of Last Flowers with it's very simplistic piano and odd paranoid lyrics, but once the "relief" part kicks in i'm hooked.

i avoided listening as much as possible to any live bootlegs prior to the album coming out, so i propose a question to those who download every track you can get - are there any significantly different versions of Last Flowers?

edison

New Webcast

midnight GMT jan 1.

(that means 5pm pacific, 6pm central and 7pm eastern)

http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace/

taken from: http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Radiohead frontman takes aim at EMI chief

Radiohead has hit out at the chief of its former label after a news report claimed the rock band rejected a 3 million pound ($5.95 million) advance for its new album and demanded the rights to some of its older albums.

According to the report, published last Friday by The Times of London, Radiohead's demands to EMI Group chairman Guy Hands totaled more than 10 million pounds ($19.8 million).

In addition to the advance, the Times said the band also wanted a 3 million pound international marketing budget for the album, "In Rainbows," while the reversion of the rights to its previous two albums would have cost EMI 4 million pounds ($7.9 million) in future earnings.

The paper quoted an EMI spokesman as saying, "Radiohead were demanding an extraordinary amount of money and we did not believe that our other artists should have to subsidize their gains."

It also quoted the band's manager, Bryce Edge, as saying, "We were not seeking a big advance payment, or a guaranteed marketing spend as discussions never got that far."

The band's "extremely upset" frontman, Thom Yorke, took to the band's Web site (http://www.radiohead.com) on Monday to deny that it wanted "a load of cash" from EMI.

"What we wanted was some control over our work and how it was used in the future by them. That seemed reasonable to us, as we cared about it a great deal," Yorke wrote.

He said Hands was not interested. "So, neither were we. We made the sign of the cross and walked away. Sadly."

Radiohead went on to release "In Rainbows," on the Web several months ago, and allowed fans to pay whatever they wanted to download it. Physical versions of the album were released in stores this week.

Directing his anger at Hands, Yorke added: "To be digging up such bull, or more politely airing yer dirty laundry in public, seems a very strange way for the head of an international record label to be proceeding."

Representatives for EMI in London and New York were not available to comment Tuesday.

Hands' buyout firm Terra Firma Capital Partners agreed to buy EMI in May for 2.4 billion pounds ($4.8 billion). The financier has warned artists they could be dropped if they do not work hard enough for the company.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

has anyone bought the store version - that is also familiar with the Discbox?

i'm wondering if there is any new artwork on the store version. it's only $7.99 and that commercial made the packaging look really cool. i've got some Best Buy gift cards to burn, but if it's just miniature versions of the booklet in the Discbox, then i'll probably pass.