What's Woody Allen's most underrated film??

Started by Alexandro, October 09, 2003, 10:01:50 AM

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ElPandaRoyal

Si

Vile5

Quote from: luctruffDeconstructing Harry...
underrated?? :shock:
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

horrorchick76

hahaha HE DID DESERVE IT!!  damn cats..  :twisted:  :roll:  :shock:
poo

luctruff

Quote from: Vile5

What?  That movie is great.  obvious bergman rip off, but we can allow woody and only woody to do that.
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes out something old! Remember that time I took a home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

samuelclemens

i think that woody allen in general is underrated.  people that like him, they like most of his stuff, if not all, but people who hate him, hate all of his stuff; so the guy in general is underrated.
Stupid babies need the most attention!

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: governor jimi think that woody allen in general is underrated. people that like him, they like most of his stuff, if not all, but people who hate him, hate all of his stuff; so the guy in general is underrated.

Yeah, that's basically that. And since Woody Allen films don't do 100 million at the box-office, we can assume that there are more people who don't like Woody Allen than those who like... so are all his films underrated? They might be... not by me, though...
Si

Vile5

Quote from: luctruff
Quote from: Vile5

What?  That movie is great.  obvious bergman rip off, but we can allow woody and only woody to do that.

you got me wrong, it was a surprise for me read that it was underrated, in Peru is considered as one of the best Allen's movies, and i really loved it... so underrated??
who was?? :evil:
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Vile5you got me wrong, it was a surprise for me read that it was underrated, in Peru is considered as one of the best Allen's movies, and i really loved it... so underrated??
who was??

Actually, I remember the VHS cover of "Harry" said that it was Woody's film that made more money in portuguese theaters. I always felt the movie had the respect it deserved. I love it.
Si

mutinyco

The reason Deconstructing Harry stands above his late films is because it was the last one that actually seemed to have come from HIM -- if you follow. It was the last one that felt like he actually had the urgency to make. There was a rudeness, an anger about it, similar to Husbands & Wives (Now that's underrated!). But a lot of people were saying that was the end of his self-analysis in film. That was the film where that came full circle. He's content now. His neurosis on film now look like schtick, as opposed to expression.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ElPandaRoyal

I think Mutinyco made an interesting point there. Then SoNowThen added Celebrity into the mix and I would add Sweet and Lowdown. That, I think, is his greatest last movie and it works for me because it was made with really great passion for the subject and it's so sweet and funny. He also needed to make that movie, although for diferent reasons as Deconstructing Harry. But I still hope Allen needs to make another one of those movies a la Woody (remember that Stardust Memories was as angry and cynical as Deconstructing Harry).
Si

Alexandro

Those three movies (Deconstructing Harry, Celebrity and Sweet and Lowdown) are better cause they're actually about something...not only about the silly premise and the one liners (Small Time Crooks, Curse of the Jade Scorpion).

Deconstructing Harry was Allen's peak on the 90's...it's one of his best films, for me second after Crimes and Misdemeanors...

and I insist, Shadows and Fog is underrated....

SoNowThen

So basically we can all agree that dreamworks ruined Woody, yes?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: SoNowThenSo basically we can all agree that dreamworks ruined Woody, yes?

In a sense, yes. Only because his Dreamworks movies were not that great (haven't seen Anything Else yet). But I don't think that it's directly Dreamworks fault here. I mean... nobody tells a legend like Woody Allen what movies he shoud make, right? I mean... right? Not even Spielberg. I think he makes the movies he wants. It just so happened that Woody was under a Dreamworks contract when he decided to make some funny movies.

Quote from: Alexandroand I insist, Shadows and Fog is underrated....

I always thought so. The other day I saw some parts of it again and yes, it's really underrated. It's so technically brilliant and a very funny yet insightfull look at human condition. I only think the ending is just to simple. Had he worked out a little bit on it (or used the original ending from "Death", his own play which was the basis for the movie) and we'd have one of Woody's greatest films.
Si