Jurassic World

Started by MacGuffin, July 16, 2003, 10:22:10 PM

jenkins

Quote from: Kal on June 14, 2015, 11:01:40 AM
$204M domestic opening weekend and $511M globally, which makes it the biggest global opening in history. People seem to be into it and giving great WoM.

I'm sure sequel is already getting a release date.

Boggles me. Have no idea what Trevorrow is up to today, but he sure as shit ain't frowning.

QuoteDoubling the original weekend estimate proffered by Universal Jurassic World is now coming in at a reported $204.6M ($204,596,380) for its opening weekend, the 2nd biggest of all time, taking an Express Pass by this May's Avengers: Age of Ultron ($191.2M) and almost catching Marvel's The Avengers ($207.4).

World, which nicely also doubled as a confirmation that Chris Pratt is an A-list lead, pulled in a healthy $47.8K per theater in 4,274 venues. That number just makes it the best top weekend theater average over The Avengers' $47.7K average.

Not only is Jurassic World the biggest opening weekend that Universal has ever had (the next closest film is Furious 7 with $147.1M) it's the biggest that co-financier Legendary has ever had, which includes the Dark Knight films.

Jurassic World outperformed even the most optimistic of forecasts for the last four days, surprising nearly everyone. Its $82.8M Friday was the third best Friday opening on record, with only Age of Ultron ($84.4M) and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 ($91M) still ahead of it.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4068&p=.htm

modage

Quote from: Kal on June 14, 2015, 11:01:40 AM
I'm sure sequel is already getting a release date.

Countdown to "Jaws" reboot begins now...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleepless

Officially third highest grossing film of all time.

Sequel is dated for 2018. CP and BDH returning.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

©brad

Holy shit you guys this movie was so bad.

Lottery

I stand by what I said  in the other post but the more and more I think about it, the worse the film gets. There's something troubling about how bland and generic it is. It seems vague and superficial. And that's where it loses its roots in the JP world- (all the other films were stylistically committed)- I know this is supposed to be a fresh start for JP but it would be better off not existing. I'm not even really bothering with the shitty writing here. Trevorrow is just another Marc Webb, but he had the luck of making a much more succesful bad film. Now he is a Star Wars man.
The film for the most part, is a lifeless mess (heh), but hey, it was kinda exciting during some moments.

©brad

Bland is the right word for it across the board - script, direction, casting, acting. I didn't expect it to capture the wonder of the original, but it could have been smart at least. Trevorrow did nothing here. He demonstrates no vision, no unique style, no risk-taking. I can think of at least 3 different members of this board who could have directed him under the table.

Jeremy Blackman

So happy to read all the negative reviews here. What a brain-dead movie this was.

I always make an effort to suspend my disbelief, but that just didn't work here. I never felt like any of the dinosaurs were real, nor did I feel like any of the protagonists were ever in danger, so the whole thing kind of failed for me.

The only things that kept my attention were (1) Bryce Dallas Howard and (2) the endless stream of logic gaps.

Chris Pratt was a complete non-entity. Did they force him to help move things around on set before every scene? Because he always seemed tired and bored. It's like his charm attempted to make its way into this movie but hit a wall and fizzled out.

Most other characters were soulless cartoons, the kids and the villains included.

I agree that, while the shockingly awful writing could be blamed, it's also a complete failure of directing. For example, the constant bloodshed and death is treated with so much indifference as to be confusing. Is it too late to take Trevorrow off that Star Wars film? Can Rian Johnson ghost-direct it?

I'm dumbfounded by this movie's success, which I now view in a more sinister light. It is very bad news if they make more movies like this.

Sleepless

Is it just me or is the Jurassic World 2 trailer shockingly bad?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

samsong

sounds like you were shockingly optimistic about it being good...

Sleepless

I enjoyed JW1 for what it was. This looks awful.

Sleepless

Sorry for double post, but to expand on the above, it's a really badly-cut trailer. Even bad movies can have good trailers. This trailer is bad. Key example - the "save" by T-rex mid-way through. Yeah, it's predictable and been done before, but it's still something that shouldn't be in the trailer - show us them in peril and let us wonder how on earth they get out of it. That's just basic marketing.

Sleepless

I guess we never even had a thread dedicated to Fallen Kingdom? It was awful.

This isn't bad though, for what it is: