Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

Started by MacGuffin, May 13, 2008, 06:11:43 PM

w/o horse

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 16, 2008, 01:50:34 AM
Filmmaker Magazine: What are your feelings about Werner Herzog doing his version of Bad Lieutenant?

Ferrara:  That film was made on blood and guts, man. So I really wish it didn't upset me as much as it does.

Is the very true comment here.  We know Herzog doesn't sense this or mean for his film to overstep or exploit the intimacy of Ferrara's film, he's stated his obliviousness, but his updating Bad Lieutenant into a neo-noir is basically like someone taking Persona and turning it into a horror film.

And Ferrara, for those of you who don't know Ferrara, has this kind of heavy drinking bad boy image, and he says pretty outrageous stuff regularly, so this is completely in character.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Pozer

he's an ass and needs to die in hell with comments like this..

"Nic Cage, Werner Herzog ... I hope they're in the same streetcar when it blows up."

Alexandro

i still don't understand why they just don't name it differently.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Alexandro on October 16, 2008, 11:03:53 AM
i still don't understand why they just don't name it differently.

Sad Lieutenant

hedwig

they should just basterdize the title.

MacGuffin

Werner Herzog Hasn't Seen Original 'Bad Lieutenant'
Source: MTV

When Werner Herzog's retooled "Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans" enters theaters later this year, don't expect to see a tuned-in retelling of director Abel Ferrara's original "Bad Lieutenant." In fact, expect Nicholas Cage and Eva Mendes to be doing something completely different.

"I haven't seen ['Bad Lieutenant']," Herzog told MTV News outside the Academy Awards this year. "So I can't compare it. It has nothing to do with it."

Herzog clarified that his film is its own story, and though this edition of "Bad Lieutenant" may share a name with its predecessor, it's going to be a cop noir all of its own making. He went as far as to say that his film will reinvent the genre.

"I think it's a new form of film noir," he said, echoing Nicholas Cage's explanation that it would be a reboot of Ferrara's concept in the vein of the James Bond franchise turn with Daniel Craig.

"It's not a remake," the director said. "It's a completely independent autonomous story." But he did forecast big things for Cage's performance in the lead role previously held by Harvey Keitel.

"Nicolas Cage was terrific," Herzog stated. "You will see something extraordinary when you see him on screen. It's the best he's ever done."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

w/o horse

Quote from: MacGuffin on March 10, 2009, 08:44:52 PM
"I think it's a new form of film noir," he said, echoing Nicholas Cage's explanation that it would be a reboot of Ferrara's concept in the vein of the James Bond franchise turn with Daniel Craig.

Fuck you.

Everyone I know already knows I've decided not to see the movie no matter what.

And Xixax might and should know my love for Herzog.  But Xixax may also know how stubborn I can be, and Herzog and Cage have pressed too many buttons that I take personally.

A slightly tangent anecdote is that I have this friend who is not epileptic but has twice had seizures while watching the original Bad Lieutenant.  True.  Why he went back for the second one is a great question but I didn't ask it.

Film noir.  Fuck you assholes.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

SiliasRuby

The more and more I read about it the more and more I want to see what Werner Herzogs take is, Nicolas cage and Eva Mendes be damned. hehe.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

w/o horse

Quote from: SiliasRuby on March 10, 2009, 10:07:04 PM
The more and more I read about it the more and more I want to see what Werner Herzogs take is

I mean I get what you're saying but you're just being a Herzog with your phrasing.

. . .

It doesn't matter, of course.  I'm just really drunk and I wanted to know what you thought about my car.

john

That's good news to me. Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant is one of the ten best films of the nineties and maybe the best film in Ferrara's depressingly overlooked filmography (seriously, any motherfucker who've yet to see The Funeral and New Rose Hotel, get on it). It's untouchable, unrivaled. It will continued to be untouchable, unrivaled.

But this film is going to be made no matter what. Pressman wants or needs the cash and will exploit any property can to make that cash.  This would have been made with or without a terrific director involved - we're just lucky it's Herzog. Nearly anyone else would infuriate me, but this excites me. It's even more exciting that if they let Ferrara return to the property and make a new film out of it - that wouldn't be exciting.

The fact that Herzog hasn't seen the film makes me even more excited. My anticipation isn't at Tree of Life/WTWTA levels - but it's close.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Stefen

Quote from: w/o horse on March 10, 2009, 09:24:22 PM

Fuck you.

Everyone I know already knows I've decided not to see the movie no matter what.

And Xixax might and should know my love for Herzog.  But Xixax may also know how stubborn I can be, and Herzog and Cage have pressed too many buttons that I take personally.

A slightly tangent anecdote is that I have this friend who is not epileptic but has twice had seizures while watching the original Bad Lieutenant.  True.  Why he went back for the second one is a great question but I didn't ask it.

Film noir.  Fuck you assholes.

HAHA.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

john

That looks nothing like the film I imagined in my head.

Initially, watching that trailer,  I was a bit disappointed... as it progressed, I got really excited. I no longer have the conviction to say this is going to be a success, but it is going to be real, real interesting and I'll continue to root for it.

Quote from: Stefen on May 27, 2009, 08:09:16 PM
oh. My. GOD.

Actually, that pretty much sums it up.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

polkablues

I demand a Bad Lieutenant/Wicker Man double feature.
My house, my rules, my coffee