THX-1138: The Special Edition

Started by Ghostboy, March 09, 2004, 01:00:42 AM

Ghostboy

Quote from: RegularKarate
The things that make this movie so great are still in the movie, pretty much untouched, so it's worth seeing... especially if you're in one of the cities that gets it theatrically (GB, I'm lookin your way).

I'm seein' it, I'm seein' it. Tomorrow, probably. Would have been today, but I was actually in your neck of the woods.

bigideas, I'd say that it's worth while, but that's just me. At least if you make the drive, you can go see some other arthouse films at the same time.

cowboykurtis

its kind of sad when you take this trailer out of context -- not knowing this was a re-issue -- thinking it was made this year -- the trailer for thx 1138 would get me in the theater over 95% of current features in circulation -- i have not seen thx it looks much more impressive then i imagined -- gorgeous trailer -- really excited about his. its a shame i cant be this excited about movies made in the PRESENT.
...your excuses are your own...

Pubrick

Quote from: cowboykurtisits a shame i cant be this excited about movies made in the PRESENT.
yes, it's a shame you can't.
under the paving stones.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: cowboykurtisits a shame i cant be this excited about movies made in the PRESENT.
yes, it's a shame you can't.

can you? and if so, what ARE these movies you speak of pubrick?

tpfkabi

Quote from: Ghostboybigideas, I'd say that it's worth while, but that's just me. At least if you make the drive, you can go see some other arthouse films at the same time.

this is true. i'd like to see DD the Director's Cut, i guess. although, it's at a different theater. i wonder if i could even found it. i'm not sure what other films are playing there. i spent a good deal of my time lost in Dallas. it didn't help that MapQuest told me to turn on an exit 52b, since i don't think there is one. i also never found Good Records.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

Quote from: cowboykurtiscan you? and if so, what ARE these movies you speak of pubrick?

i can:

life aquatic
sky captain
undertow
alexander
the fountain
batman begins
the science of sleep
Ranxerox: happy birthday lubna

\
a scanner darkly, i guess.
\

to a lesser extent, the brown bunny.

but i think the most satisfying excitement-vs-payoff events this year so far were eternal sunshine and the dreamers. and really, even fahrenheit etc..

some of the first bunch of films i listed above are still in early development, but there is enuff there to provide hope for what i thought would be the dark ages of cinema (following all the hype the last few years received). i think there's still plenty of interesting stuff being done, to the point that the few gems emerging will later prove to be the beginnings of the "new classic" period. if that makes any sense. the key word is few. and few has always been enuff, from experience.
under the paving stones.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: cowboykurtis-- the trailer for thx 1138 would get me in the theater over 95% of current features in circulation .

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and pubrick...there's the other 5%

Ravi

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: RaviIs the movie good?

..i liked it.......it was way different from what i expected......it reminded me of eraserhead/pi w/ an orwellian touch.......i watched it late last night so i fell asleep through about 25 minutes of it.... then i finished watching the rest....its very abstract and arty and hard to follow at times [or i could be just stupid-which is a possibility].....but the looks, sounds, and the whole vibe if the film phucking kicks asssssssssssssssssssssssss......the final image i ssomwething that will be burned into my mind forever-very powerful sH*t.....

i also enjoyed the early american zeotrope  feature...cool stuff..i never realized caleb deschanel was part of it...

overall the film gave even more of an appreciation for lucas.....and i cant wait for the trilogy on dvd and EP #3.......

modage

Quote from: RegularKarateI saw this last night and I don't think the extra shit is that intrusive... and the type of people who bitch on AICN are usually just blowing retard steam anyway (this guy said he knew the movie so well, but he forgot how much nudity there was, evidently).
yeah, saw this last night too.  it was pretty good/okay.  a little slow and like lucas himself has said you know young/naive/filmschooly with all the 1984 stuff but really cool LOOKING.  just not the sharpest script.  had the chase came at 40 minutes in instead of an hour and 20, i think it could've been better.  but, it was interesting/worth watching.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02but, it was interesting/worth watching.

Are you satisfied with the film as a worthy blind buy parchase?

tpfkabi

it looks like its already back out of the theater.
how is the DVD? extras, etc? i'm strongly considering buying it.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

yeah, and perhaps an appreciation will grow with multiple viewings.  but if only for historical purposes, i dont regret having bought it.  

i didnt watch the making of thx, but the doc on american zoetrope was an hour long and facinating.  especially since they got lucas AND spielberg (along with scorsese, coppola, milius, depalma) to sit down and talk about that period in time with movies.  someone needs to take their footage from this along with the interviews from decade under the influence and easy riders and 100 other sources and make a 10 hour doc on movies in the 70's.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

My DVD of this film hasn't arrived yet (it's shipping together with the SW films because I'm cheap like that), but I went to see it in the theater tonight and man...I had no idea it was THIS good. And I completely forgot how funny it was, or how socially relevant.

Like everyone else has said...the changes are all for the better. I stand corrected about my initial misgivings.

I wish it was still rated PG, though. I yearn for the days when people weren't offended by nipples (speaking of which, check out some of these frame grabs from AICN).

Side note: this is the first film to be digitally released with the new series of Texas Instruments DLP cinema projectors. I thought the older models were pretty good, but not quite there yet. I think these are all the way there. I'll neded to see another movie or two (originated on 35mm) projected on them to make a final judgement, but it was pretty awesome.

lamas

is the documentary on zoetrope the same one that was on the One From the Heart special edition?