Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

jviness02

I've been told this film will probably be polarizing, perhaps even between fellow PTA fans and that DDL has a pretty low key performance in this. A great performance, but not the type that wins awards. People expecting a big theatrical exit for DDL will be disappointed.

Yes

Quote from: jviness02 on October 24, 2017, 08:21:22 PM
I've been told this film will probably be polarizing, perhaps even between fellow PTA fans and that DDL has a pretty low key performance in this. A great performance, but not the type that wins awards. People expecting a big theatrical exit for DDL will be disappointed.

What about the performances of Krieps or Manville

I don't expect this to get many awards nominations anyway outside of DDL and costume

wilberfan

Quote from: BigSock on October 24, 2017, 08:42:04 PM
What about the performances of Krieps or Manville

I don't expect this to get many awards nominations anyway outside of DDL and costume

If he hasn't sexually harrased anyone in the last twenty years, he may have a better shot at more awards.

HACKANUT

Quote from: jviness02 on October 24, 2017, 08:21:22 PM

That's quite interesting. Sounds sort of akin to Isabelle Huppert's performance in The Piano Teacher. She emotes very very little but you end up being able to read her face front the smallest of movements. Like a white sheet a paper, you could identify any sized mark on it.

If DDL is going for this kind of subtlety I would be extremely happy.

Something Spanish

Phoenix was pretty low key in Vice compared to The Master and his performance as Doc is hands down one of my all-time favorites.

The Phantom trailer gives a slow-burn/low-key vibe, no outbursts like Hoffman shouting SHUT UP or Brolin barking moto panikaku or Day-Lewis' "there's a whole ocean of oil" snap, yet I still get chills each time I've played it. I still remember seeing the "One" teaser for Magnolia during a commercial break for the '99 MTV VMAs and in those 30-seconds I knew this movie would be like nothing I've ever seen. I'd just become addicted to watching Boogie Nights on VHS and couldn't believe that this writer/director's next movie would be what was shown in that little teaser. Practically every one of his trailers has had a similar effect, and this is no exception. Also as previously mentioned here, feels like a similar relationship to Dodd/Freddy only this time they actually make out and quite possibly fuck.

Gold Trumpet

It's hard to tell so far. In the trailer, it definitely shows a story arc that could be main one in the film. When I think of what I see in the trailer and the look at the title, I imagine Phantom refers to the missing thread, the impossible one to get - a hallmark of someone's obsession in being perfect in their craft., this case making the perfect dress. DDL's character could also be trying to make the perfect girl through his dresses and failing. A story like that could go many routes and reach levels of intensity while still feeling subtle too. Should be interesting how it plays out.

wilder

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on October 25, 2017, 07:25:45 PM
DDL's character could also be trying to make the perfect girl through his dresses and failing.

Wow that's interesting. I don't know that I see that in the trailer, but I love the idea.

Gold Trumpet

The idea comes from the hints of him trying to control her and she refusing to give in (even after she tells someone else he made her dreams come true and all she had to do was give him everything he desired). But he seems fascinated by her on first sight and it looks like it immediately leads to a muse relationship and he making dresses perfectly tailored for what idea he has of her.

Drenk

The synopsis seems to tell that his work becomes difficult after he's met her.
Ascension.

jenkins

a phantom thread isn't missing, it's imaginary. which doesn't contradict what's being said, but rather enforces it.

Yes

His name is Woodcock, so I can picture something regarding impotency

Or possibly background of DDL is presented in a very open-ended fashion in a very subtle, subdued film which would result in the possible polarized reactions

Yes

HACKANUT

Quote from: Kubrick With Two Bricks on October 26, 2017, 02:35:09 PM
What do you think the general consensus for the movie would be? The trailer post on r/movies was mostly joke comments ("i knit your milkshake" etc.)

if I had to guess, I would assume most people will overlook this one, and those that dont will mostly be in it for DDL's last performance. But even those people will have to rethink their interest because it sounds like DDL is playing this one really reserved. all of these things excite me honestly. I want Paul to cut out a new swath of his style that upsets even the diehard's expectations, much like Inherent Vice and The Master did.

Yes

To counter the polarizing notices, Vulture has published an article revealing this:

QuoteThe luscious trailer for Paul Thomas Anderson's fashion drama didn't feature much of Manville, but I keep hearing glowing reactions to both her and the film, which early viewers are calling Anderson's most accessible effort in years. The relatively unknown Vicky Krieps will have a tougher road in the Best Actress category if she's positioned there as the love interest for Daniel Day-Lewis's dressmaker, but Manville (playing his wary sister) offers another chance to recognize Phantom Thread in a less competitive race.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/how-will-the-harvey-weinstein-moment-affect-awards-season.html

d

Maybe it is obvious but having no clue about reading notes I wonder if the sheets posted by Greenwood are indeed one of the pieces used in the trailer. Has it been verified? If not PTA fans I guess that Radiohead fans have already played it and posted somewhere, right?

Speaking of which, Nigel Godrich tweeted yesterday with a link to the trailer:
QuoteThis film is very beautiful and also has very beautiful music by @JnnyG bravo!

Not very revealing but I think that may be the first "official" opinion about Phantom Thread.