Mine very own band

Started by polkablues, August 16, 2005, 10:31:13 PM

polkablues

Inspired by the young JimmyGator, I whipped up some of my band's demos onto a Myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/greenmyeyesmusic

The recordings are a little lo-fi, and we could use a drummer, but I'm proud of it nonetheless.  Let me know what you guys think.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

My Phantom Limb is pretty amazing. (Make more like that.) I'm impressed.  :yabbse-grin:

Is there a way we can download that? Xixax will host it if necessary.

If I can contribute some constructive criticism... Some of the vocals are flawless, some are shaky and/or confusing. I would cut the distorted guitar out of the later part. I don't think it works without drums.

JG

polkablues

Thanks, guys!  This is actually the first time we've put our music up in a public forum of any kind, so it's reassuring to get a good response to it.  We plan to hit a few open-mic nights in the near future, and then hopefully move up from there.

I appreciate the critique, JB... I agree with you on every point, actually.  I went back in and mixed a new version of "Phantom Limb" without the distorted guitar in the bridge, and it does sound a bit better, a bit more organic.  But once we lay a full band arrangement on there, it's definitely going back in.

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanIs there a way we can download that? Xixax will host it if necessary.

Nothing would make me happier.  But yeah, Xixax would need to host it, as I don't have any way of doing it myself at the moment (Matt, my bandmate, is getting a website going for us, but it's not quite all the way out of the birthing canal yet).  PM me and let me know what's the best way to get that to you.

Figure 8

This stuff is really, really good.  You did a great job.  But you can make it downloadable on myspace if you want to.  You just have to go into the settings of the songs and click the downloadable button.

Jeremy Blackman

My Phantom Limb

AAC or

Xixax-exclusive "clean" version.

hedwig

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanMy Phantom Limb

AAC or

Xixax-exclusive "clean" version.
yeah, definitely. this version is much better. beautiful song, polkablues! good luck w/ your endeavors

polkablues

Just added another song to the Myspace page: "Tooth and Nail".  That was me singing lead on the other three songs; this one features the multi-talented Matt Amberg front and center.  But that's me unleashing my inner blues-guitarist all over the song.

ElPandaRoyal

Dude, this is very good. Congratulations. I really, really like it  :-D
Si

rustinglass

I like it as well
very much so
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

polkablues

This is cool.  Now, when I talk to people about my music, I can say, "They love me in Portugal."   :yabbse-grin:  :yabbse-thumbup:

polkablues

Just rotated in a new song.  This is one of my favorites that I've written, but I never made a recording of it that I was happy with until now.

Thrindle

Listening to Phantom Limb right now.  Wow... impressed.  This song would definitely contribute to my bouts of hermitism.   :-D

Mild criticism... vocals need tightening at about 4 minutes in.
Classic.

polkablues

Quote from: ThrindleThis song would definitely contribute to my bouts of hermitism.   :-D

That's my goal... I want to make music that people play on "repeat" for hours at a time after they've been dumped.  But catchy, too.   :yabbse-wink:

polkablues

Nothing new to add here...

Just wanted to see the odometer roll over on my post count, and I figured I'd use the opportunity to shamelessly bump my thread.

<humming to himself>

Oh, I'm sorry.  Are you still here?

<awkward pause>

:oops:

I'll hang up now.