Jean Renoir

Started by Pastor Parsley, February 23, 2004, 03:00:19 PM

Pastor Parsley

First off, I don't know how you all can claim to be film enthusiasts without a Jean Renoir thread.  You should be ashamed  :wink: .

Rules of the Game is one of the best films ever made(the criterion dvd is one of the best criterion's I've seen).  Boudu Saved from Drowning is one of my favorites as well.  Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation, which I loved, is almost a modern retelling of Une partie de campagne.

edison

I really liked Grand Illusion, the Criterion dvd introduced me to him, but i have yet to check out other films of his, not enough time

SHAFTR

I've only see Rules of the Game and Grand Illusion.  I enjoy Grand Illusion more and I don't see how Rules of the Game gets more exposure.  Renoir is great and my jaw drops watching his films; his camera movements are amazing.  I'm not a big fan of his acting, but his direction is top notch.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pastor Parsley

I've never seen Grand Illusion.  I would agree with you that Renoir is not an actor.  I think Rules, stylistically, was way before it's time.  When compared to contemporary films it doesn't seem that great, but that's because most films today use the style that was first used in that film.

Ravi

I just finished watching Rules of the Game.  This was my introduction to Renoir.  I think I have to watch it once more now that I know the plot and character to watch for the subtleties of the style Renoir uses.  It's a great movie, and it is apparent how much Robert Altman has been inspired by Renoir, from the multilayered sound design Altman uses in his films to Gosford Park, which was obviously inspired by ROTG.

samsong

I just saw The River and after having read so many good things -- Martin Scorsese calling it his favorite Renoir picture especially --  I have to say that I was very underwhelmed.  It's definitely the visually sumptuous most praise it as being as well as a fascinating look into India's culture, but I found everything else to be completely lacking.  The symbolism was blatant, the themes thouh well intended weren't conveyed very well, the characters all seemed underdeveloped, and the narration added another barrier between me and the film, though I can't really imagine it without narration ::SPOILER... sort of:: since it's told in retrospect by a character in the film.

I do however feel guilty for not appreciating it as much as I "should" (I'll be revisiting it in about a month because of that very guilt) as it is considered among Renoir's very best films.  The Rules of the Game and Grand Illusion are two of my very favorite films, the former is on my top ten of all time, but The River just didn't work for me on any level outside of its visual style.  Has anyone else seen it?

A Matter Of Chance

Oh man, Renoir. I've loved The Rules of the Game and Grand Illusion for a long time. This week I saw La Bete Humaine and Boudu Saved from Drowning and thought they were great. Anyways, Renoir and John Ford are probably my two favorite directors right now.

MacGuffin

The Jean Renoir Collector's Edition Box Set will include the films La Fille de l'eau (Whirlpool of Fate), Nana, Sur un air de Charleston (Charleston Parade), La Petite marchande d'allumettes (The Little Match Girl), La Marseillaise, Le Testament du Docteur Cordelier (The Doctor's Horrible Experiment) and Le Caporal Epingle (The Elusive Corporal), as well as the all-new Jean Renoir: An Auteur to Remember documentary (SRP $29.98).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks