Lost In The Wilderness

Started by Reel, November 18, 2013, 06:28:54 PM

Reel

Thanks a lot, you guys! I don't even know where to start with these. 'Hell On The Pacific' was already pretty high on my list and I'm really intrigued by 'Enemy Mine'. Herzog must be the master of this kind of movie. Another type of film that I like a lot is the family who goes out in the wild and creates their own civilization, like 'Swiss Family Robinson' and especially 'The Mosquito Coast'..I love that movie. I expected 'The Kings Of Summer' to be more of a story like that, but I found myself disappointed  :(

Mel

The Snow Walker (2003) - don't know if it is any good, just seen TV commercial for it, nothing else. Trailer looks kinda 80's.

Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Mel

Tracks (2013) - another that I didn't see, but looks like it fits the description.

Mel

The Beast of War (1988) - During the war in Afghanistan a Soviet tank crew commanded by a tyrannical officer find themselves lost and in a struggle against a band of Mujahadeen guerrillas in the mountains. A unique look at the Soviet 'Vietnam' experience sympathetically told for both sides.

Couldn't find a better quality trailer:

It is closer to "Hell in the Pacific" than a traditional war film: tank lost in the middle of desert valley. Anti-war tendencies are there, technically is is great, it shares some of the vibes of "Das Boot" - claustrophobia etc. There is one thing I find ironic. Since actors portraying Soviets are speaking English, it is very easy to re-imagine it in context of recent/current wars in Afghanistan/Iraq. 

Mel

Wild (2014) - With the dissolution of her marriage and the death of her mother, Cheryl Strayed has lost all hope. After years of reckless, destructive behavior, she makes a rash decision. With absolutely no experience, driven only by sheer determination, Cheryl hikes more than a thousand miles of the Pacific Crest Trail, alone. WILD powerfully captures the terrors and pleasures of one young woman forging ahead against all odds on a journey that maddens, strengthens, and ultimately heals her.

Reel

I just randomly heard about this on a podcast where they were discussing their favorite Robin Williams movies. Really obscure, seems worth a shot!