Joker (2019)

Started by Alethia, September 21, 2018, 08:42:57 PM

wilberfan

Quote from: eward on October 25, 2018, 10:38:44 AM
Also, just want to report that Maron is fucking killing it. I'm like oddly proud of him. There's a very interesting one-sided sense of intimacy that develops when you religiously listen to someone's podcast for the better part of a decade, it gets so you really feel like you know the person, like you've grown along with them -- and he being so effusively honest and all, I'm rooting for him like he's an old friend, but to him I'm a complete stranger.

Thanks for sharing this parenthetical on Maron.  I share your one-sided sense of knowing him so well.  It's a relief to hear that he's apparently nailing this gig.  (I spent waaaay too much time one day at the open house for 'The Cat Ranch' when it sold earlier this year.  It's such a trippy feeling to actually occupy a physical space that you otherwise only experience in your head.) 

Alethia

So we've been filming this big scene involving Joaquin and De Niro, and a little Maron, and a whole lot of extras, with SEVEN CAMERAS, all in full, 5-6 minute takes. Joaquin utterly committed, unhinged, changing things up from take to take, De Niro not so much (though he's still solid-as-fuck, and just paying witness to a bonafide legend doing his thing, even sometimes not quite nailing it at first, is humbling. Just - holy fuck, he's human! And, what's more, dealing with the psychic weight of all the sudden postal-pipebomb bullshit.) This is a wild experience, even if I'm only more or less a wallflower witness to the coolest shit.

Chatted with Maron at crafty on Friday. We talked about Monty Python, because he had just done Python week on WTF, Don Quixote (spin-off from the Python talk, Gilliam, etc) and who he thinks he might be able to interview from the Joker team. De Niro he doesn't feel too sure about, though he's going to try; he said Joaquin feels possible, if not guaranteed; and Todd he can absolutely get, he said with a sly grin. He's a really nice, even kind of shy dude. He perks up once you mention you're a fan though. He eats with everyone else too, sort of quietly. I recall a moment that I found charming when a background lady was having trouble with a portable tea kettle, and Maron suddenly, kind of intensely in an avuncular way, sidled-up and set about insisting on its immediate functionality, he having just used it himself. It just felt very - Maron. My fandom certainly colors my perception of him personally, of course, but I was pleased by our interaction and was moved to grin for most of the day afterward. I like him.

Favorite overheard tidbit of the day... As De Niro walked past me, ahead of two assistants, one said to the other: "Ugh did he take his teeth out again?"

Ravi

Quote from: eward on October 29, 2018, 02:27:37 PM
I recall a moment that I found charming when a background lady was having trouble with a portable tea kettle, and Maron suddenly, kind of intensely in an avuncular way, sidled-up and set about insisting on its immediate functionality, he having just used it himself. It just felt very - Maron.

Oh, that's incredibly Maron. Do you remember that tea kettle incident he talked about a few months ago on the show?

Alethia

I don't! What happened?

Ravi

http://www.wtfpod.com/dispatches/i-came-in-hot

SEPTEMBER 10, 2018
I CAME IN HOT.
Hello, Folks!

L'Shana Tova, Jews! Happy 5779!

How are you all holding up? I miss Minnesota already. I was just there. The weather was perfect. What a relief to be in the nice cool breeze of the Midwest. What a relief to be on the road.

It's almost impossible to clear my head when I'm home. There's always something to do. Something coming at me and when there isn't, I find something. I guess it's just my nature or maybe it's just the nature of being self-employed and basically having three or four jobs. Podcast, standup, writing and acting. Shit never stops. I'm not complaining because I love the work but I can't get a break. Because if I have an hour-and-a-half of free time each day there's still a ton of routine maintenance and house shit and errands and food stuff to do. So, getting out on the road gets me some space. Physically and mentally.

That's not always great either. My mind can get pretty out there, but then I reel it all in and see what's at the end of the hooks and fillet those monsters on stage.

The crowds in Minneapolis are great. Smart people, cultured people, polite people, sweetly passive-aggressive people. I'm sure there are plenty of assholes there but I think they are polite.

I've been aggro, short-fused, ready to pounce for a week or so. Not sure what is going on. Maybe I just feel over-extended. When I got to Minneapolis I just wanted to get my room set up and lock in, relax, write, think. I came in hot. Told the guy at check in I wanted a water kettle so I can make my tea in the room. He said they didn't have one. I thought, what kind of upscale hotel doesn't have one? I don't always stay at upscale places but lately I've realized that I have no wife or kids and I'm not sure why I'm not spending money on nice things. It pissed me off that they didn't have one. I told him they should get one, they're cheap. He said it wasn't his job, basically. That just pissed me off. So, after I checked in, I walked to Target and bought one. Fifteen bucks. I stomped back to the hotel with it under my arm, not in a bag, to make a point. I was so ready to just righteously, aggressively but causally, go in there, tell him it was cheap and they could keep it. I had even planned to tweet a pic of it and tag the hotel with some snotty, snarky bullshit remark. I had my cause.

It's sad when the world is out of control and scary that the battles we chose to fight can be stupid and petty just to feel like we have control of something, anything.

I got back and he was gone. A pregnant woman was now behind the counter. She saw me walk in, steamed, carrying the box, and she said, 'Oh you bought one. I found you one. It's in your room.' Defeated and humbled I say, 'Thanks.' Then the killer line. She says, 'I can return that for you.' It was perfect. Polite and annihilating. Masterful passive-aggression but genuine. She would've done it. I said, 'Nah, I'll do it tomorrow.'

I was in Minnesota for 24-hours and I had been to Target twice and returned something. That's the life I'm living.

I need to be humbled a bit. Taken down a notch. It grounded me. Got me level for the shows.

Thanks for coming out Minneapolis.

Today I talk to Billy Eichner about how he became Billy Eichner. On Thursday I talk to comic/writer Adam Cayton-Holland about his memoir which moves through his sister's suicide. Heavy but also funny and sweet. Good talks.

Enjoy!

Boomer lives!

Love,

Maron

Alethia

Oh man, you jogged my memory, I do remember that now! That's actually a pretty excellent episode all around.

Alethia

Reel

Wow, he's unrecognizable! I wasn't quite sure what to make of the first still of him that came out, but these pictures have me so pumped. You can see they're taking it into throwback comic book land instead of Jared Leto's odd mumble rapper interpretation. The red suit draws even more connections to 'King Of Comedy'! I'm sure it's influence will be written all over this film.

Alethia

Yeah the KoC influence is pretty heavy in the script, too. A fine beacon of inspiration.

jenkins

Alethia

Not to my mind, but what comparisons can be made between the two are rather superficial anyhow, so it oughtn't be a reason to worry too much, if that doesn't appeal to you.

jenkins

the crazy idolizing the crazy promises diminished returns, was on my mind.

Drenk

I just want to say that—at first—I read KoC as Knight of Cups. Strange seconds.
Ascension.

jenkins

later on i realize there's not much they can take from it, and i just hadn't liked the sound of it

Alethia

Quote from: Drenk on November 19, 2018, 05:45:07 PM
I just want to say that—at first—I read KoC as Knight of Cups. Strange seconds.

Ha! Strange indeed. That said, I think Joaquin would be perfect for a Malick film, particularly modern day, increasingly puzzling but oh-we-love-you-anyway Malick.