Alexander

Started by MacGuffin, May 25, 2004, 07:58:59 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: November 5th, 2004 (wide)

Cast: Colin Farrell (Alexander the Great), Rosario Dawson (Roxanne), Anthony Hopkins (Ptolemy), Angelina Jolie (Olympia), Val Kilmer (Philip, King of Macedonia), Jared Leto (Hephaistion), Connor Paolo (Young Alexander), Jonathan Rhys-Meyers (Cassander), Ian Beattie (Antiginous), Raz Degan (Darius III, Shah of Persia), Brian Blessed (Leonidas), Elliot Cowan (Young Ptolemy), Laird Macintosh (Neoptolomus), Rory McCann (Crateros), Joseph Morgan (Philotas), Connor Paolo (Young Alexander), Gary Stretch (Cleitus)

Director: Oliver Stone (Platoon, JFK, Any Given Sunday, Nixon, Natural Born Killers)

Screenwriter: Christopher Kyle (K-19: The Widowmaker; cowriter of The Weight of Water)

Original Music: Vangelis (Chariots Of Fire, Blade Runner)  

Cinematographer: Rodrigo Prieto (Frida, 25th Hour, 21 Grams)

Premise: Conquering 90% of the known world by the age of 25, Alexander the Great (Farrell) led his armies through 22,000 miles of sieges and conquests in just eight years. Coming out of tiny Macedonia, Alexander led his armies against the mighty Persian Empire, drove west to Egypt, and finally made his way east to India. This film will concentrate on those eight years of battles, as well as his relationship with his boyhood friend and battle mate, Hephaistion (Leto). Alexander died young, of illness, at 33. Alexander's conquests paved the way for the spread of Greek culture (facilitating the spread of Christianity centuries later), and removed many of the obstacles that might have prevented the expansion of the Roman Empire. In other words, the world we know today might never have been if not for Alexander's bloody, yet unifying, conquest.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Jeremy Blackman

It's already inaccurate. Alexander was actually kinda short and pudgy, contrary to most of his propaganda sculpture.

This does not look good at all. If they try to make him into any sort of hero, this will be a disgusting and inaccurate movie.

Especially the end of that trailer... it's just stupid. "Savior"? How exactly is he a savior? It's funny, they say the winners write the history books, and we still haven't corrected this one. Good job, Oliver Stone.

modage

yeah, not terribly excited from that trailer, lets hope its better than Troy.  

when does baz get to make his?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

Yeah the trailer was... boring.  But Angelina looks SO EFFIN GORGEOUS in the picture!  Her eyes make me... make me want to get her pregnant...

meatwad

Quote from: themodernage02when does baz get to make his?

i don't think that is happening anymore

Ghostboy

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanAlexander was actually kinda short and pudgy, contrary to most of his propaganda sculpture.

How awesome would it have been if they had cast Phillip Seymour Hoffman?

Anyway, for a teaser, it's okay. Nothing that suggests it's anything other than another Troy -- except for Oliver Stone's name, which will keep my worries at bay all the way until I actually see it. I trust him.

If anything were to give me pause, though, it's the brief bit of 'battle speech' in that trailer. Someday, someone will make a movie in which an army charges into battle without being inspired by some speech from their leader, and I will silently applaud.

SHAFTR

Quote from: matt35mmYeah the trailer was... boring.  But Angelina looks SO EFFIN GORGEOUS in the picture!  Her eyes make me... make me want to get her pregnant...

...in the butt.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Man , I hope this movie doesn't contains the following scenes, in the order in which i'm writing them:

* a prologue written (in cepia and , judging by the poster, a yellow font) explaining the synopsis Mac posted up there, or how the campaings of Alexander have been succesful 'till this day while a score with a female singer howling plays.

*a rough 20 minute battle scene which shows us how powerful our main character is.

*a brief celebration of said battle, where the moral disturbances of our hero are raised.

* the comeback of our hero to his homeland where he is greeted by the people and his family.

* an encounter with an old lover.

* you get the idea.
context, context, context.

Jeremy Blackman

There are some less famous portraits of Alexander that weren't made by his propagandists. The best estimate is that he was 5' 2" and "stocky."

His romanticized image eventually became the model for Caesar Augustus' propaganda portraits and even Napoleon after him.

matt35mm

Quote from: cronopioMan , I hope this movie doesn't contains the following scenes, in the order in which i'm writing them:

* a prologue written (in cepia and , judging by the poster, a yellow font) explaining the synopsis Mac posted up there, or how the campaings of Alexander have been succesful 'till this day while a score with a female singer howling plays.

*a rough 20 minute battle scene which shows us how powerful our main character is.

*a brief celebration of said battle, where the moral disturbances of our hero are raised.

* the comeback of our hero to his homeland where he is greeted by the people and his family.

* an encounter with an old lover.

* you get the idea.

STUDIO NOTES:

1990s: "No, we're not gonna make a gladiator movie!  There's no money in those things!"

2000: (Gladiator is released) "Oh My God!  Let's make this exactly same movie over and over again!"

jasper_window

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanAlexander was actually kinda short and pudgy, contrary to most of his propaganda sculpture.

How awesome would it have been if they had cast Phillip Seymour Hoffman?

What a fantastic idea.

mutinyco

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanThere are some less famous portraits of Alexander that weren't made by his propagandists. The best estimate is that he was 5' 2" and "stocky."

Right, and accordingly, Ben Stiller should have played Christ.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: GhostboyHow awesome would it have been if they had cast Phillip Seymour Hoffman?

mutinyco

Going up against that elephant might've made more sense...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe