Holy shit the Pixies are black!!!!

Started by European Son, September 10, 2003, 01:55:44 AM

mogwai

it reminds me of "monkey gone to heaven", it starts with a similar riff.

MacGuffin

Quote from: mogwaii'm looking after a pixies song i've heard through a commercial. i've also seen the video a couple of times on mtv2. it's the band stepping down from a couple of rocks very sloooowly. someone who knows which song i'm thinking of? cheers.

"Velouria"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

weezer covered that song back when they didnt suck.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mogwai

Slick Shoes

i seriously don't know how i ever managed live my life up until this point without ever having heard the pixies. i mean, i grew up in the eighties for fucks sake! i suppose i could have heard some of their songs on the radio over the years, but it was unbeknownst to me.

anyway, i was driving around with someone the other day, someone who's five years younger i might add, and i hear this song come on over the speakers (something something something I WANT YOU TO KNOW!!.. something something something I WANT YOU TO KNOW!!) and i'm like 'who is THIS?!' and she kind of cocks her head at me and is like: this is the pixies.

so i've been listening to dolittle a lot lately and i'm really liking it. like a whole lot. and i think next i'm gonna get surfer rosa. after that i'm not so sure.

anyways...

GoneSavage

Welcome to the party, it's never too late.  I think many people have that moment of hearing them for the first time, exclaiming "Who is THIS?".  I got the Death collection my freshman year of college on a whim from one of those 12 for 1 deals and I became a huge fan.  I will finally get to see them perform live a week from Sunday here in San Diego at Street Scene.

Velouria is my favorite Pixies song.

matt35mm

Quote from: GoneSavageI will finally get to see them perform live a week from Sunday here in San Diego at Street Scene.
Me too.  I went the first day as well.

GoneSavage

I watched Rise Against, Louis XIV, Flogging Molly, and White Stripes last night.  It was a hard decision between White Stripes and Social D, but I've seen Social D before so that was my logic.  I'm glad I hate the Killers otherwise that would have been a 3-way dilemma.  Tonight there's no dilemma -- only Flaming Lips and The Pixies.

matt35mm

Quote from: GoneSavageI watched Rise Against, Louis XIV, Flogging Molly, and White Stripes last night.  It was a hard decision between White Stripes and Social D, but I've seen Social D before so that was my logic.  I'm glad I hate the Killers otherwise that would have been a 3-way dilemma.  Tonight there's no dilemma -- only Flaming Lips and The Pixies.
I don't like Social D or The Killers, and I am in total love with The White Stripes, so it was a very easy decision for me.  In fact, they were the main reason I knew I had to go to this concert.

I watched... a little bit of Morningwood, Hot Hot Heat, Kasabian, Garbage, White Stripes.  Did you happen to be around the guy who passed out for a second during the white stripes show?

I'm watching Flaming Lips and Pixies as well tonight.  It'll be fun being in the same place and having no clue who you may be.  But then again I won't really be focusing on that.

hedwig

hahah i love that the title of this thread hasn't been changed

matt35mm

You guys'd never believe it!  During the Flaming Lips show (where again a guy passed out next to me--coincidence??  I invite you to decide for yourself), Wayne Coyne descended from outer space and fell gently on top of the audience, where he then softly glided onto the stage.

It was amazing.  Except for all the squishing in the audience.  It took me 10 minutes to wade about 20 feet to get out of the pack after the show.

But since this is the Pixies thread, they were good too.  Very down to business.  Song after song after song.  They definitely fit the most songs into one set over all the other bands.

SHAFTR

Quote from: matt35mm

But since this is the Pixies thread, they were good too.  Very down to business.  Song after song after song.  They definitely fit the most songs into one set over all the other bands.

I saw them with Weezer a few weeks ago and they were very good.  They started off a little slow but really picked it up as the show went on.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

GoneSavage

They fit so many songs in their set because they never once talked to the audience.  I think that's good.  They played almost everything I'd want to hear and Joey was incredible.  Kim Deal has a boyish haircut now but it doesn't make her less cute.  They are really solid together and put on a nice show.  They really soaked up the applause at the end and it was a bit touching.  

It's educational.

Reinhold

pixies are playing with beck at the same venue where i plan to see the white stripes and the shins together.

i've got limited concert cash. should i ditch the white stripes show for the pixies show a week later?

i'm a bigger white stripes than pixies fan, but a bigger beck fan than shins fan. i like white stripes more than i like beck, but there's always the probability that i won't get to see them again.

ps: when i found this thread, i was totally surprised to find out that the pixies were black. i get it now.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

matt35mm

Quote from: Reinhold Messnerpixies are playing with beck at the same venue where i plan to see the white stripes and the shins together.

i've got limited concert cash. should i ditch the white stripes show for the pixies show a week later?

i'm a bigger white stripes than pixies fan, but a bigger beck fan than shins fan. i like white stripes more than i like beck, but there's always the probability that i won't get to see them again.

ps: when i found this thread, i was totally surprised to find out that the pixies were black. i get it now.
(shrug) I'd go to the White Stripes show.  Following your logic of who you like better, you should go to The White Stripes, too.  You like them better than Pixies and Beck.  I, too, like them over all of the others and they put on a hell of a show.