25 and Still Alive!

Started by matt35mm, July 16, 2012, 12:35:09 PM

matt35mm

This is something that I didn't expect to make. It just sort of happened.

My friend had gotten drunk and put a temporary skull-and-crossbones tattoo on his forehead the night before. I wrote down what I was thinking while chewing my breakfast. We shot this in an hour and I cut it together in the same day.

It makes me laugh, and it might make you laugh, too. It's a 3 minute thing.

http://www.vimeo.com/matt35mm/25andstillalive

Just Withnail

It made me laugh! Especially the belly-clapping and the insane jog at the end.

Robyn

Quote from: Just Withnail on July 19, 2012, 04:10:06 AM
It made me laugh! Especially the belly-clapping and the insane jog at the end.

Yeah, the belly-clapping was pretty great.

Cloudy

The BELLY CLAPPING! YES! And even though you said you rushed this one, I thought it was a cool use of 4:3. I enjoy seeing quality uses of specific aspect ratio's like this. I've been anxiously debating between 2.35:1 and 1.85:1 for my next film. 2.35 is so beautiful...but 1.85 is so much better for the people watching on their phucking phallic sized Macbook screens...choices.

matt35mm

Thanks! It was spontaneous but not rushed. The 4:3 was done because my next film will be shot that way, also in black & white, so I have been shooting pictures and video that way as practice. I'm enjoying it. It's a way to get me to think differently about composition.

It was also spontaneous in the sense that I would give him direction during the take based on what I wanted to see in the moment. I didn't know that I wanted to see him smack his belly or scratch his tongue or do any of the things I asked him to do until I asked him to. I would give direction impulsively based on what I was seeing him do. There was no script or anything, so he had to just follow my direction, which he was game for.

It is very different from my next movie and I don't plan on directing that in the same way, but I enjoyed everything about making this and I found it to be a satisfying experience that will inform how I'm going to direct the next thing.

Cloudy

Sounds like it was an intimate/hilarious shoot! I commend you for playing with 4:3 my dude...it makes me that much more excited for your film! Keep up the good work!

InTylerWeTrust

Dude, how did you make Black and white look so good at the beginning when they're in the kitchen?... It's so simple yet it's so dreamy-looking. Post-Production work or did you do something to the lens or what?

Also, what camera and what lenses you used for this?
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

matt35mm

Yes, that was all done in post. I applied a lot of different effects subtly, and then desaturated the image to about 4% saturation (it's not completely black and white). There's also a decent amount of diffusion applied to the image, which contributes to the dreamy feeling. I wanted it to look kind of ugly, as if it was shot with a 16mm camera that was found in a dumpster. And I wanted it to look like it could have been made any time within the past couple of decades. That's just what I had in mind while I was playing around with the image in post.

The camera is a Panasonic GH2 and the lens is a Canon zoom L-lens. It's obviously capable of a prettier/sharper image, but like I said, I wanted to fuck the image up a bit.

Thanks for watching it!