Emir Kusturica

Started by rustinglass, March 12, 2003, 10:43:29 AM

rustinglass

The two geniuses:

I have something in my eye......
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Ghostboy

So, after however long of being consistently reminded by rustinglass's avatar, I finally watched Underground.

Great, great move.

That is all.

rustinglass

<- It works!!!!!!!!!!
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

MacGuffin

Fidelite backs newest film from Kusturica

PARIS -- Two-time Palme d'Or-winning director Emir Kusturica is co-producing his next movie, the Serbian-set love story "Promise Me This," with hot French production house Fidelite Prods., the producer said Monday. Billed as a return to a more intimate style for Kusturica, "Promise Me This" tells the story of a rustic old man whose last wish is for his son to go to the city and bring back a wife. "He discovers the city and at the same time lives a love story," said Olivier Delbosc, who runs Fidelite alongside Marc Missonnier. Budgeted at about €7 million ($8.7 million), the film will shoot early next year outside Belgrade, using a domestic cast.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

samsong

i watched Life Is A Miracle because i was depressed.  i haven't seen Underground in a while but it's just as joyous and cathartic.

Pubrick

Quote from: samsong on November 22, 2006, 02:24:16 AM
it's just as joyous and cathartic.
that's how i feel about Black Cat White Cat.

:yabbse-cheesy:

under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Kusturica sets Pancho Villa movie
Director working on project with Gordan Mihic
Source: Variety

BERLIN -- Serbian helmer Emir Kusturica is preparing to make a biopic about Mexican revolutionary Pancho Villa.

The iconoclastic filmmaker, whose last project was a free-wheeling docu about the epic rise and fall of Argentinian soccer legend Diego Maradona, is currently working on the screenplay for "Seven Friends of Pancho Villa and the Woman With Six Fingers."

Kusturica confirmed to Variety that he is working with regular contributor Gordan Mihic, who also wrote the screenplays for the director's "Black Cat, White Cat" and "Time of the Gypsies."

Speaking by phone from his Kustendorf mountainside retreat in Serbia, Kusturica said he had been fascinated by Pancho Villa since his student days when Mexican films about revolutionary figures had "captured his attention."

Pancho Villa is a legendary figure in Mexico for the role he played in his country's revolution in the early 20th century.

The chance to make the project -- based on the novel "The Friends of Pancho Villa" by James Carlos Blake -- comes at a time when Kusturica feels he "finally understands the lives of revolutionaries and the tension between their ideals and what they accomplished."

French shingle Fidelite will produce; shooting in Mexico, Spain and some interiors in Serbia are due to begin by the end of the year or early 2010.

There are details on budget at this stage although it would be "kept as low as possible" according to Kusturica.

No decision has been made yet on who will play the part of Villa but Javier Bardem is being sought out by the director.

"I hope we are going to have a chance to talk with him soon but his involvement in not confirmed yet," said Kusturica.

Villa has previously been portrayed many times on screen by thesps such as Antonio Banderas, Telly Savalas and even Villa himself in the 1914 pic "The Life of General Villa," which was produced by D.W. Griffith and also starred Raoul Walsh as the young leader.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Johnny Depp eyes Pancho Villa role
Salma Hayek in talks to star in Kusturica pic
Source: Variety

ROME -- Serbian helmer Emir Kusturica is in advanced negotiations for Johnny Depp to star as Mexican revolutionary hero Pancho Villa in his upcoming biopic titled "Seven Friends of Pancho Villa and the Woman With Six Fingers."

Kusturica, recently a guest of Italy's Turin Film Festival, said the script, written with regular collaborator Gordan Mihic ("Time of the Gypsies," "Black Cat, White Cat"), is completed, although lensing is not set to start until 2011, due to Depp's prior commitments.

Salma Hayek is also in advanced talks to co-star in the pic.

The Spanish-language biopic is to be shot partly in Mexico, where Villa -- an early 20th-century bandit who became a guerilla fighter and a hero to the poor -- is an iconic historical figure. Depp will act in Spanish, Kusturica said.

Depp and Kusturica collaborated previously on "Arizona Dream" in 1993.

The script is based on the biographical novel "The Friends of Pancho Villa," in which author James Carlos Blake recounts how Villa and his compadres had a great time fighting and robbing the rich, but also dancing, partying and making love.

The biopic is being set up by French shingle Fidelite, which also produced Kusturica's "Maradona" docu.

Villa has previously been portrayed many times on screen by thesps such as Antonio Banderas, Telly Savalas and even Villa himself in the 1914 pic "The Life of General Villa," which was produced by D.W. Griffith.

Prior to "Pancho Villa," Kusturica is planning to shoot a black comedy titled "Cool Water," set amid the MidEast conflict, about a Palestinian stripper working in Germany who returns to her homeland to bury her dead father. "Cool Water" is being produced by German indie Brave New Work.

Skeleton FilmWorks