David Fincher's iPhone 3 GS commercial

Started by MacGuffin, June 09, 2009, 12:58:03 PM

MacGuffin

David Fincher Directed iPhone 3GS Commercial
Source: Slash Film

I'm sure everyone by now has heard about the new iPhone 3GS (i hate that name) that Apple announced at the World Wide Developer's Conference on Monday. But have you seen the first television advertisement for the new phone?

"Break In" was directed by David Fincher, a self professed mac fanatic (some might have noticed that the trailer for his last film, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was only officially available on Apple's Quicktime in HD). It might also be worth noting that the director of photography on the spot was Jeff Cronenweth, who has worked on a lot of music videos and was Fincher's cinematographer on Fight Club.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

visually it's a great ad, but why does it show the spy being pretty sure it's the same iphone as before? isn't that a bad thing? that there doesn't seem to be a major difference? fincher takes another script that's below him :yabbse-sad:.

modage

the iphone looks identical to the old one but the new one has a video camera which it shows recording the camera recording it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

i know. but i think it's a bad idea from a marketing perspective to stress how the new phone seems to be exactly the same as the old phone.

Neil

because "it's the iphone you love with a new video camera, just one of the many new features"

remember?, you loved the first one so much, that you may as well have that upgraded.

I agree it's an odd pitch, who knows, you know those cutting edge folks at apple...
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

FASTEST, MOST POWERFUL IPHONE YET!?

WHAT WILL THEY THINK OF NEXT!?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

they really didn't need david fincher for that.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

©brad

That was even more meh than the last iphone commercial. Come on apple/chiat day, you can do better.

Quote from: pete on June 11, 2009, 02:33:17 AM
they really didn't need david fincher for that.

They really didn't, especially considering Fincher's hefty price tag. He's one of the top 3 highest paid commercial directors out there right now. I think he nets somewhere around $40k per day..  :brickwall:

Speaking of Fincher commercials though, is just awesome.

Reinhold

Quote from: picolas on June 09, 2009, 03:34:23 PM
visually it's a great ad, but why does it show the spy being pretty sure it's the same iphone as before? isn't that a bad thing? that there doesn't seem to be a major difference? fincher takes another script that's below him :yabbse-sad:.

there were images of the new iphone posted many weeks ago on various mac rumor boards... and everybody thought they were fake or pictures of the old phone case because they didn't show a front-facing video camera and had a matte back, the edge bezel was too similar, etc... so everybody thought it was pictures of the same old iphone with the memory amount and serial number photoshopped.

also, there was concern that the older apps might not still run on the new iphone OS 3.0-- the iphone you already love means you don't have to buy new apps.

Quote from: Walrus on June 10, 2009, 11:16:05 PM
FASTEST, MOST POWERFUL IPHONE YET!?

WHAT WILL THEY THINK OF NEXT!?

the new phone has a drastically faster processor and double the memory... some users were switching back to blackberries for speed.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

modage

Quote from: ©brad on June 11, 2009, 08:31:24 AM

i only wish he didn't use the music that Tarantino already stole for Kill Bill.  it bothers me when commercials reuse songs already made (re)popular by films.  Lust For Life, Makin Time, "That Kill Bill Song", etc.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

Quote from: modage on June 11, 2009, 09:29:59 AM

i only wish he didn't use the music that Tarantino already stole for Kill Bill.  it bothers me when commercials reuse songs already made (re)popular by films.  Lust For Life, Makin Time, "That Kill Bill Song", etc.

Oh I hate that too. Once a film christens a song, it should be off limits to anyone else. Period.

When is that song in Kill Bill though? I don't remember it...

MacGuffin

Quote from: ©brad on June 11, 2009, 09:51:46 AM
Quote from: modage on June 11, 2009, 09:29:59 AM

Oh I hate that too. Once a film christens a song, it should be off limits to anyone else. Period.

When is that song in Kill Bill though? I don't remember it...

Actually, that "song" is sampled from L'estasi Dell'oro from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. It is not in Kill Bill. I think mod is thinking of Bernard Gilard-Christophe's .
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

i'm gonna sneak into all your houses and smash your iPhones with a sledgehammer.