We need some more Chuck Palahniuk film adaptations.

Started by Myxo, June 20, 2003, 11:19:27 AM

RegularKarate

Survivor is way too much like Fight Club.

How does Haunted become a movie?

picolas

Quote from: RegularKarate on November 04, 2008, 03:20:15 PM
How does Haunted become a movie?
a friend of mine was in a fairly successful amateur theatre version of it. it can be done.

Stefen

Re: Thread title from 03 (not the poster) - No we don't.

I agree, though, Gut's is da dolphin's brain.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

john

Quote from: RegularKarate on November 04, 2008, 03:20:15 PM
Survivor is way too much like Fight Club.

I see similarities in the narrator's tone, but nothing further. Though, the same complaint could be given to any of Palahniuk's novels. Regardless of character's variances, they all end up speaking with such a similiar infection and world view that it's become redundant. Basically, he's the nihilistic literary equivalent of Kevin Smith. That one-two-three combo of Fight/Club/Monsters/Survivor... and, to an extent, Survivor... is really hard to beat, though.

However, I don't think I've read Survivor in over six years, so if pressed, you probably could trump me in regards to their similarities.

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 04, 2008, 02:00:52 AM

Except that Invisible Monsters is. Or Diary.

Couldn't get into Diary... but I'll gladly accept Invisible Monsters as a formidable argument. I just prefer Survivor.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

RegularKarate

Quote from: john on November 07, 2008, 01:35:58 AM
Fight/Club/Monsters/Survivor... and, to an extent, Survivor

Fight
Club
Monsters
Survivor
Survivor

Top five Palahniuk books

john

I should probably correct that to read Fight Club/Monsters/Survivor... Choke.

But, fuck it... I'm sticking with Fight/Club/Monsters/Survivor/Survivor
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

nix

I would love to see Monsters over anything else, if for no other reason, just to bask in the glory of a film with a facially mutilated super model protagonist.

Diary could also be a very effective film if handled properly, (i.e. by someone other than Clark Gregg).

I agree that Palahniuk's voice tends to envelop, and sometimes eclipse the characters he writes. I'm very divided about the way he presents them as well. He gives his book's inhabitants very specific activities, hobbies, jobs, etc. which fiction 101 says, should individualize them. The problem is, he leans too heavily on processes or little factoids, writing them in a frustratingly consistent rhythm so that somehow the characters, no matter how varied their jobs or surroundings, always end up feeling like one person.

All of the seemingly random bits of knowledge Tyler/Jack(or Joe in the book I think) possesses served Fight Club's story as well as being interesting on their own merit because at the time, Chuck's voice was fresh.

The novelty has long since worn off and our boy needs to shut up for a second and listen to his characters. He may realize that they don't all sound exactly like him.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen