Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Started by jenkins, December 03, 2017, 05:47:53 PM

Alethia

Quote from: wilberfan on July 22, 2019, 02:20:03 PM
Not as strongly as mine, but one "Meh", and one "So many missed opportunities.."

So it's the next Jackie Brown? YES.

wilberfan

Lempwick

I really liked The Hateful Eight.  My #1 of 2015.  Hated Django, love/like everything else QT's done, including the much maligned Death Proof. 

Alethia

Quote from: wilberfan on July 22, 2019, 03:33:06 PM
I love JACKIE BROWN.

Well shucks, just gotta wait and see it then.   :yabbse-smiley:

csage97

Hey wilber, I don't mind that you didn't like it. Actually, I enjoy seeing criticisms from people who disliked something, as long as the criticisms are well-thought out and intelligent. There's nothing saying that you have to like it anyway.

About the ending (if you've seen it, PLEASE do not spoil it), I think we all know where it's likely going ... and when I first thought about it a few months back, I was okay with it. But now that I think about it, it's just going to be another "Quentin rewrites history with violence and hubris" yet again, this time solidifying the sort of thing into a tired cliche within his work. If that's how it plays out, I'll probably be rolling my eyes the whole time. I hope not.

Alethia

Quote from: csage97 on July 22, 2019, 05:22:12 PM
Hey wilber, I don't mind that you didn't like it. Actually, I enjoy seeing criticisms from people who disliked something, as long as the criticisms are well-thought out and intelligent. There's nothing saying that you have to like it anyway.

About the ending (if you've seen it, PLEASE do not spoil it), I think we all know where it's likely going ... and when I first thought about it a few months back, I was okay with it. But now that I think about it, it's just going to be another "Quentin rewrites history with violence and hubris" yet again, this time solidifying the sort of thing into a tired cliche within his work. If that's how it plays out, I'll probably be rolling my eyes the whole time. I hope not.

I have an inkling that the revisionist aspect (based on some quick shots in the trailer) is different than what everyone's expecting/I'd been fearing. We'll see if my guess is correct.

wilberfan

Needless to say, I look forward to some other perspectives in a few days...    Maybe a revisit down the road, when the fevered anticipation (and butthurt) has waned, will provide a different experience.  Originally I was pondering how soon and where I would watch it again.  Guess I can cross that one off!   :yabbse-grin:

Something Spanish

Wilberfan hates IV too, so his reaction to this one isn't much of a shock

jenkins

wilber and i have entered the social circumstance where i once let him down while he was a real sweetie the whole time, so ive come to appreciate him as a person despite us probably never agreeing about any movie ever is my guess

therefore it's okay that wilber didn't like it and i don't think he'll be the only one either. qt hasn't been universal since pulp fiction and that's god's truth. and even some people didn't like pulp fiction!

i agree with drenk that most people like dumb shit anyway, never trust anybody anyway basically

Alethia

'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' crew urged to 'avoid making eye contact' with Leonardo DiCaprio

By Tom Beasley

Some crew members on the set of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood were reportedly urged not to look Leonardo DiCaprio in the eye.

A source from the set of Quentin Tarantino's sprawling Los Angeles drama told The Hollywood Reporter that some crew members were "instructed to avoid making eye contact" with the Oscar-winning actor.

The revelation was made as part of an article looking into the 44-year-old's unique brand of movie stardom, which differs from many other figures in modern Hollywood and is more akin to the big beasts of the New Hollywood era in the 1970s and 1980s.

DiCaprio is described in the piece as being surrounded by a "carefully crafted air of mystery", despite being one of the most famous men in the world.

It's a persona that would appear to suit his Once Upon a Time in Hollywood character, Rick Dalton, who Tarantino has described as "a man full of inner turmoil".

:)

putneyswipe

Also managed to catch this on Sunday @ the Cinerama. I disagree with Wilber, even if I'm not sure about my feelings for the ending, there's way too much pure cinematic joy and scale for me not to love this. The fact this exists is a miracle. I will say that I'm not sure everyone here will like it, especially if they love/compare this to Inherent Vice. Personally, I found this to be more satisfying than IV (I know this is sacrilege, but a lot of that movie still plays like visual cliffnotes for me) and a refreshingly non-romantic look at the late 60s - Rick and Cliff are more Bigfoot than Doc Sportello.

I posted a review on Letterboxd if any of you guys want to peep, but there are a few miniscule non-ending spoilers, just to be warned:
https://boxd.it/LB2bR

Lempwick

Much as I loved PTA when he broke out, I've found his films tedious and uninteresting this past decade, like he became allergic to dynamic storytelling.  I have quibbles with QT, but nothing that damning. 

putneyswipe

Quote from: Lempwick on July 23, 2019, 10:58:21 PM
Much as I loved PTA when he broke out, I've found his films tedious and uninteresting this past decade, like he became allergic to dynamic storytelling.  I have quibbles with QT, but nothing that damning.

Don't agree at all whatsoever, just in the case of IV I'd chose picking up the novel again over rewatching the film, but that's just me. This isn't PTA's thread so I shouldn't have brought it up, only mentioned it because I feel

Spoiler: ShowHide
The movie may disappoint those looking for a more somber and realistic look at 1969

Anyway I can't wait to hear more reactions, I feel this will divide people strongly which will be entertaining.

wilberfan

Quentin Tarantino Scored Rare Ownership Deal With 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood'

By acquiring the copyright to his latest release, the filmmaker joins a rarefied group of helmers that includes George  Lucas and Mel  Gibson.

In November 2017, the auction for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Quentin Tarantino's latest project, came down to two studios, Warner Bros. and Sony.

Both were ready to cover the hefty budget of $95 million. Both were willing to give the acclaimed filmmaker a significant cut of the back-end proceeds. And both acquiesced to him having final cut.

But when it came to ceding copyright control of the movie to the filmmaker, only Sony, then eager to build out a winning slate, was willing to do it.

With that line item, Sony won the right to finance and distribute what is now one of the buzziest movies of the year, and Tarantino became one of the few filmmakers to enjoy a rare and unique perk.

- - - - -

Tarantino didn't have to gamble money or an inordinate amount of time to earn the copyright to Once Upon a Time, whose budget came in at $90 million after the project qualified for a California tax credit. But he did create an entire media world surrounding DiCaprio's character. So if Tarantino wants to make a Bounty Law TV show (a fictitious series in Once Upon a Time), Sony won't own it, Tarantino will. However, Sony retains the right to be involved in a Once Upon a Time sequel or prequel.

Source

Something Spanish

All of the lauded write-ups parceled onto Once Upon a Time in Hollywood are downright fucking accurate, yet I'm slightly snagged on reconciling the whole Tate narrative. I get that she is a juxtaposition of success to Rick's dwindling spotlight, but ultimately her scenes, while enjoyable (there is really nothing wrong with them and Robbie makes their viewing doubly pleasurable) don't fully fit into the fabric in a convincingly functional manner. Ultimately, this movie is a fairy tale, that's how it feels to me anyway. I really want one more viewing before giving a firmer opinion. Enjoyed the hell out of it. I wouldn't really label it a hangout movie, doesn't have the axiom of a hangout movie like Jackie Brown, I'd put it closer to Pulp Fiction in that respect. Yes, we're hanging out with these folk, but it's mostly in service of the story, and call me nutty, there definitely is a story here. And it's about Rick.  (going into the end of the movie here, don't peep unless you want it spoiled)

Spoiler: ShowHide
The hurdle I'm having a bit difficulty of hopping over is the mucking up of history, just feels odd, even if it services the central character arc of Rick, in the way Hitler and the kindling of the Third Reich services Basterds' Shoshana, Hans, and Aldo's stories, this feels kind of wrong. Whereas the Third Reich really was defeated, albeit through the sacrifice of millions of soldiers and not a military squad of Jewish-Americans, a French theater operaror, and a turncoat SS Col, the reversal of fortune here is harder to swallow. Those people were brutally murdered on Cielo Dr., and the killers made it back to Spahn with nary a scratch. Putting factuality on hold, the scene last scene on Cielo is fucking out of control good, brief as it was, lighting up those QT flares as good as any action scene in his movies, except for House of Blue Leaves. The violence is an incredibly heavy rush, the kind you feel in your bones, where it's almost like you're on the giving end of the knuckle sandwich, or in this case canned dog chow and a pit's lockjaw. It's the aftermath of the mayhem, when we see Jay Sebring and Sharon alive in the end, that feels like a desecration of real lives. I kind of had that feeling in Basterds at first, feeling like doing this was a disservice to all that heroes who died in battle, but like I said, this is on a much more personal level. Wonder how the Tate sister and Polanski feel about it.