Who's Next To Croak?

Started by cine, September 28, 2003, 11:07:39 AM

jenkins

welllllll iiiiiii meannnnn, i've owned "the moment of truth" for over 2 years and i've never watched it, because i'm afraid of what's going to happen to the bulls, but since rosi died i'm going to watch the moment of truth tonight. doin' it. and i've owned "salvatore giuliano" for at least six years, and it's today i learned or was reminded that they're by the same director. i've either forgotten about or haven't seen  "hands over the city" because i'm either remembering a bunch of procedural jargon in the movie, or remembering being afraid it'd be a movie with a bunch of procedural jargon

i'm sorry if you're sometimes intimidated by expansive movie knowledge and impeccable memory. anyway tonight some bulls'll die in front of me but i'll forgive rosi for filming it since he died today

[edit] rosi died two days ago. i'm "on fire" today

ono

Harris Wittels, a writer on Parks and Rec (and one of the animal control guys), and a standup comedian, died of a drug overdose the other day.  Aziz Ansari eulogized him quite nicely:  http://azizisbored.tumblr.com/post/111613105129

sad, probaly only to me, because i guess i'm the only one here who actually watches this crazy show.

from tmz:

Ben Woolf from "American Horror Story: Freak Show" has died in an L.A. hospital from injuries suffered last week when he was hit by a passing car.

A source close to Woolf tells us he died from a stroke on Monday afternoon. He had been heavily sedated at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center since the accident last week.

TMZ broke the story ... Woolf -- who played Meep on the hit show -- got clipped in the head by the side view mirror of an SUV as he was crossing a street in Hollywood. The driver was not arrested or ticketed because Ben was jaywalking.

Woolf's family tells us -- "We have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support from all over the world for our beloved Ben. He touched so many hearts in his 34 years."

Over the weekend, doctors upgraded his condition to stable -- but warned it was still touch and go since he had not woken up.

We're told Ben's organs are being donated and will help about 50 people.

Family members tell us they're planning a memorial service in Santa Barbara.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2015/02/23/ben-woolf-dead-dies-american-horror-story-hit-by-car/#ixzz3SiB2taVX

Reel

Quote from: ono on February 21, 2015, 01:45:18 PM
Harris Wittels, a writer on Parks and Rec (and one of the animal control guys), and a standup comedian, died of a drug overdose the other day.  Aziz Ansari eulogized him quite nicely:  http://azizisbored.tumblr.com/post/111613105129

again,  I couldn't more highly recommend his second appearance on You Made It Weird. Having just listened to it a second time, I feel a lot of consolation that he knew the treacherous road he was headed down and actively seeking help , but just couldn't escape that cycle of addiction. It's probably the most in depth chronicle of someone's life unraveling I've ever heard. Seriously,  check it out guys.

Fuzzy Dunlop

wow that pretty much verified what i was half joking about. you guys never cease to disappoint.

Lottery

jenkins

really? nobody yet? god i miss pubrick so much.

SAM SIMON

Lottery

Fuzzy Dunlop

Richard Glatzer :(
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/richard-glatzer-dead-still-alice-777223

"When Richard was diagnosed with ALS, Wash asked him what he wanted to do," Moore said in accepting her award. "Did he want to travel? Did he want to see the world? And he said he wanted to make movies. And that's what he did."

I was working in the same facility as he was last year. He had already lost the ability to speak and used an iPad to communicate. It was very inspiring to see someone, who knew he didn't have a lot of time, working so hard get his films completed. Incredibly sweet guy as well.

Sleepless

There was a good interview with Wash Westmoreland and Richard Glatzer on The Business podcast back in January.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jenkins

Manoel De Oliveira, Portugal Director, Dead at 106
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/manoel-de-oliveira-portugal-director-dead-106-30061788

QuoteOliveira's last film, a short feature called "The Old Man of Belem," had its premiere last November in Porto and was shown at last year's Venice Film Festival.

Oliveira's career began with a silent documentary about Porto, Portugal's second-largest city, in 1931. He made his first feature-length movie in 1942 but his output was sporadic until he was 76, when he began directing roughly a film every year.

Despite his huge output — more than 30 feature films and dozens of short films and documentaries — he achieved broad international recognition only in the 1990s and was best known as an art cinema auteur. He was over 100 years old when his last feature film, "Gebo and The Shadow," came out in 2012. It was in French and starred Michael Lonsdale, Claudia Cardinale and Jeanne Moreau.

at xixax the banner of the man floating up through the sky is from oliveira's the strange case of angelica, and not only did a great filmmaker die but also a person with a romantic and poetic perspective on life. i'll miss him and what he means

reminder: alan resnais is 91, and when he dies we'll have to worry about romance's continued existence