So Far This Year, vol.2

Started by Ghostboy, June 21, 2004, 01:47:48 AM

Ghostboy

I forgot to put Bad Education on my list, although it may not make the final cut...

Weak2ndAct

Awesome movies I've seen this year:

Oldboy
Zatoichi
Passion of the Christ (and I don't even have any vested interest in JC and any of his bizness)

brockly

1. Fahrenheit 9/11
2. Before Sunset
3. Kill Bill Volume 2
4. Eternal Sunshine
5. Zatoichi
6. Dodgeball
7. Touching the Void
8. Dogville
9. Spider-Man 2
10. The Bourne Supremacy

dogville was originally in the top 4, but it gets worse with viewings. i cant see it being on my list at the end of the year. with all the great films i have yet to see (summer fall winter, brown bunny, dreamers), and all the great films still to come (LIFE AQUATIC, hero, aviator), this is a fine year.

Jeremy Blackman

I can't decide which is better... Fahrenheit 9/11 or Dogville...

:brickwall:

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI can't decide which is better... Fahrenheit 9/11 or Dogville...

:brickwall:

.gotta go w/ dogville.....b/c if i am going to watch two anti-american  films i would rather look at nicole kidman than michael moore..... :wink:

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI can't decide which is better... Fahrenheit 9/11 or Dogville...
fahrenternal dreamville.
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

I'd say Dogville, but you could be diplomatic and pretend that Dogville got released last year (as it did, everywhere but in America) so Farenheit can have its spot at the top of your list. You can then retrofit your lists from last year.

Film Student

(Slightly) Revised Top Ten List:

1. Dogville
2. The Dreamers
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
4. High Tension
5. Garden State
6. Napolean Dynamite (I know a lot of people despise this movie, but I can't help it, it makes me laugh)
7. Collateral
8. Harry Potter 3
9. Overnight
10. Kill Bill 2

Most Overrated of the year:

1. Passion of the Christ
2. Fahrenheit 9/11
3. Spider Man 2 (really enjoyed it immensely, just overhyped)
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Film StudentMost Overrated of the year:
2. Fahrenheit 9/11
Really? Please elaborate...

Ghostboy

Quote from: Film Student
4. High Tension

Wow, you liked it? I think it might top my list for the worst of the year. I felt so insulted, as a viewer, when it was over.

hedwig

No order.

Fahrenheit 9/11
The Brown Bunny
Dogville
Kill Bill Vol. 2
I'm Not Scared
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Control Room
Maria Full of Grace
Cigarettes and Coffee
Napoleon Dynamite
Garden State

Shit. That's eleven, isn't it.

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Film Student

RE:  Fahrenheit 9/11 Overrated

I used to LOVE Michael Moore (JB, you must remember when I posted my orgasmic note on meeting him), but he's twisted one too many truths in the name of liberal justice.  He's a sensationalist who I now (sadly) lump in with Bill O'Reilly and (to a lesser extent) Matt Drudge as a biased pundit who is first and foremost an attention-craving narcissist.  Bowling for Columbine affected me deeply, then I realized that Moore was using the very same scare tactics in his film that he was criticizing the mainstream media for.  Then along came Fahrenheit 9/11, which in my mind was a far more respectable film than "Bowling", but then again, making Bush look like an idiot is not the most daring or difficult thing to pull off.  I could write twenty pages on all the reasons I don't care for Michael Moore anymore, but honestly I don't feel like doing it.  If anyone cares to hear me expound further, PM me...

RE: High Tension

I LOVED High Tension, BUT I agree with you Ghostboy.  The ending was ridiculous, but it was a rare case of being so profoundly terrified by the previous 85 minutes that I was completely willing to forgive the silly twist.  I'll make no bones about the fact that when it comes to horror, I'm a shameless gorehound.   This is my favorite kind of horror movie; mean-spirited, disgustingly brutal, unforgiving and indiscriminate in who gets off'd.   On top of that, it was beautifully shot, well-acted, well-paced, and deadly serious.  I really appreciated the absence of camp and satire, and the fact that it looked good and the performers were actually competent really impressed the hell out of me.   It's the only movie I've ever watched where I was actually curled up in a ball in my chair and covering my eyes...

Also, the sound design was incredible.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Ghostboy

Quote from: Film StudentRE: High Tension

I LOVED High Tension, BUT I agree with you Ghostboy.  The ending was ridiculous, but it was a rare case of being so profoundly terrified by the previous 85 minutes that I was completely willing to forgive the silly twist.  I'll make no bones about the fact that when it comes to horror, I'm a shameless gorehound.   This is my favorite kind of horror movie; mean-spirited, disgustingly brutal, unforgiving and indiscriminate in who gets off'd.   On top of that, it was beautifully shot, well-acted, well-paced, and deadly serious.  I really appreciated the absence of camp and satire, and the fact that it looked good and the performers were actually competent really impressed the hell out of me.   It's the only movie I've ever watched where I was actually curled up in a ball in my chair and covering my eyes...

Also, the sound design was incredible.

I guess that, had I been scared, I wouldn't have hated it so much. But I actually predicted the twist from the first line of dialogue, and rather than get caught up in the story, I was just waiting to see if the director would go through with something so preponderously stupid. Maybe if I'd seen it in a theater, I would have been more into it. It was pleasantly gory, though, and technically excellent.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Film StudentI used to LOVE Michael Moore (JB, you must remember when I posted my orgasmic note on meeting him), but he's twisted one too many truths in the name of liberal justice.
Exactly which twisted truths offend you? Or is it the media-circulated impression that his movies are factually impure?

He's not Noam Chomsky, and he is a dramatist, but I find almost nothing wrong with him and his films.

My only complaint with Moore is that his rabid populism moderates him far too often (see Chapter 10 of Dude Where's My Country)

Quote from: Film StudentBowling for Columbine affected me deeply, then I realized that Moore was using the very same scare tactics in his film that he was criticizing the mainstream media for.
Isn't there a huge difference between rational fear and irrational fear? Which "scare tactics" in BFC are you thinking of?

Quote from: Film Studentmaking Bush look like an idiot is not the most daring or difficult thing to pull off.
That's the only thing you think he did (or tried to do) with Fahrenheit 9/11?